Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brawlin in the Spring

Brawlin in the Spring

Some fallout from the last Rays and Yankee game in which a Yankee catcher was run over in a hard play at the plate. Two ejections from the game so far as a result of Phillips throwing at Longoria. I am sure more info is coming. Baseball season is really here now.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brawlin in the Spring

Here are the details: Per MLB

ST. PETERSBURG -- One day after Yankees manager Joe Girardi insisted his club would not retaliate for a violent home-plate collision in Saturday's game against the Rays, both clubs spilled onto the field at Progress Energy Park in a bench-clearing incident Wednesday.
    In the first inning, Yankees starter Heath Phillips was ejected for throwing an up-and-in fastball to Rays third baseman Evan Longoria, grazing the batter and earning an immediate thumb from home-plate umpire Chad Fairchild.

Girardi vehemently protested Phillips' ejection, at one point raising his hands to the air. Right-hander Steven Jackson relieved Phillips with two outs in the first inning.

In the home half of the first, the Yankees' Shelley Duncan escalated the incident by sliding hard into second base, clearing both benches. Play halted for several minutes as the two clubs engaged in shoving, and at least one punch appeared to be thrown.

Duncan, Yankees third-base coach Bobby Meacham, Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long and Rays right fielder Jonny Gomes were ejected following the incident.

Tensions ran high between the Yankees and Rays on Saturday, when 22-year-old catcher Francisco Cervelli was hit hard by Rays infielder Elliot Johnson while blocking home plate. Cervelli fractured his right wrist and was scheduled to have surgery Wednesday in New York.

Girardi strongly criticized Johnson's play, calling it "unnecessary" for a Spring Training game.

Phillips was starting Wednesday in place of left-hander Andy Pettitte, who was scratched with tendinitis in his pitching forearm.

I hope the Rays kick the living crap out of the Yankees...I hate them.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Some fallout from the last Rays and Yankee game in which a Yankee catcher was run over in a hard play at the plate.
    I can't believe he would lay into the catcher in a meaningless ST match. Save it for the All-Star game, fella.

Last edited by Screwball; 03-12-2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: added pic

I really see it this way. If Girardi doesn't want his catch run over tell him not to block the plate. You can't have the catcher playing the game like it counts and not expect the runner, who is trying to make an impression on the big league club, to take it easy.

Was Billy Crystal in the middle of it?

It looks like the non-retaliatory Yankees of the Torre era are gone.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I can't believe he would lay into the catcher in a meaningless ST match. Save it for the All-Star game, fella.
    I saw the play and the Yankee catcher did take a shot, in defense of the Rays player the catcher was blocking the plate. I am sure the young kids with the high numbers on their jerseys don't know about certain unwritten rules. Their just trying to play hard enough to make the club.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Girardi strongly criticized Johnson's play, calling it "unnecessary" for a Spring Training game.
    What a big freaking baby. Would you like a bra to go with your panties, Joe?

How can a former catcher say that was unneccesssary? Unbelievable.

The DRays have forever been brawling with the Yankees and Red Sox. The franchise highlight reel is literally a bunch of on-field scraps with those two clubs. Part of it is the Rays have always been so young the players frequently don't realize when they're doing something that will set off another team. Part of it is they've surely always been told by their managers that they have to out-scrap the opposition if they truly want to win. And yet another part of it is surely a superiority complex on the parts of the Yankees and Red Sox. They seem to think it's the job of Tampa Bay to roll over and die quietly.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    How can a former catcher say that was unneccesssary? Unbelievable.
    Wouldn't you expect a former catcher to lobby for not running into the catcher?

Though my take is you can't be bowled if you're not blocking the plate. Ray Fosse would tell you that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Maybe not for a spring training game, but I wish the Reds had fire like this instead of being so soft...
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 03-12-2008 at 06:16 PM.

I think this is a case of Joe Girardi just trying to get his players' good side by defending them. That, and Joe Girardi is just flat-out crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I saw the play and the Yankee catcher did take a shot, in defense of the Rays player the catcher was blocking the plate. I am sure the young kids with the high numbers on their jerseys don't know about certain unwritten rules. Their just trying to play hard enough to make the club.
    No argument here. I was just trying to make light of the situation.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I can't wait for the regular season between the Rays and the Yanks.

What's the over/under on brawls between these two this year?

Turn Off Ads?