Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44

Thread: John Daly misses Bay Hill tee time

  1. #16
    Member Oxilon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,133

    Re: John Daly misses Bay Hill tee time

    Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    The man is a heart attack waiting to happen. He's obese, he drinks like a fish, and smokes like a chimney.
    Alright, I'll give you the heart attack argument. I guess I overlooked that (I don't know how, I guess I just forgot about his obesity).
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: John Daly misses Bay Hill tee time

    It still surprises me that the PGA Tour doesn't allow a player one free pass per year to miss a pro-am. The pro-ams are an integral part of the PGA Tour and I'm not downplaying them, but a player should be able to miss one during the season. Misinformation, accidents, family obligations, etc. happen. Plus, over half the field doesn't play in the pro-ams so getting an alternate to fill-in wouldn't be much of a problem.

    I believe something similar happened to Goosen last year or the year before. Daly was given wrong information from the tournament office. It happens. Should he have double-checked? Probably. But, I doubt a lot of players double-check it.

    I wish Daly would take his life and his golf game a little more seriously. He's very talented and good for the game when he's on. We'll see what this latest event does to him. Will it be positive or negative? I don't think anyone knows including John.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  4. #18
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: John Daly misses Bay Hill tee time

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    It still surprises me that the PGA Tour doesn't allow a player one free pass per year to miss a pro-am. The pro-ams are an integral part of the PGA Tour and I'm not downplaying them, but a player should be able to miss one during the season. Misinformation, accidents, family obligations, etc. happen. Plus, over half the field doesn't play in the pro-ams so getting an alternate to fill-in wouldn't be much of a problem.

    I believe something similar happened to Goosen last year or the year before. Daly was given wrong information from the tournament office. It happens. Should he have double-checked? Probably. But, I doubt a lot of players double-check it.

    I wish Daly would take his life and his golf game a little more seriously. He's very talented and good for the game when he's on. We'll see what this latest event does to him. Will it be positive or negative? I don't think anyone knows including John.
    And it wasn't like JD simply didn't show up. He showed up at the time he was told. Unfortunately, that time was for his 1st Round, not his Pro-Am.

    Like I previously said, if this was anyone but JD, this wouldn't be news. The only reason anyone's making a fuss about this, is b/c Butch Harmon called out JD as an alcoholic pretending to be a golfer. So, the media's trying to make this an issue that his drinking caused him to be late for his tee time. Maybe that's the case, maybe it's not.

  5. #19
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: John Daly misses Bay Hill tee time

    I'd bet my Wilson 8802 that drinking wasn't the reason JD missed his pro-am tee-time. S**t happens unfortunately, and for John, that pile fell on him big-time this week.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  6. #20
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: John Daly misses Bay Hill tee time

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I'd bet my Wilson 8802 that drinking wasn't the reason JD missed his pro-am tee-time. S**t happens unfortunately, and for John, that pile fell on him big-time this week.


    Do you still putt with an 8802 or do you just have it in your collection?

    You're not really Ben Crenshaw, are you?
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  7. #21
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: John Daly misses Bay Hill tee time

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Do you still putt with an 8802 or do you just have it in your collection?

    You're not really Ben Crenshaw, are you?
    No, I'm not Crenshaw, but I do putt like him.

    I've used the 8802 for 16 years now. It's in the bag and it scares my opponents. I cut it down to 33 inches, slapped some lead tape on the back and it's good to go. Unfortunately, it's not one of the originals worth over a grand, but it's still a great putter. I love it.

    I do have an Wilson Arnold Palmer blade putter that's worth a few hundred though. Nice putter.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  8. #22
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: John Daly misses Bay Hill tee time

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    No, I'm not Crenshaw, but I do putt like him.

    I've used the 8802 for 16 years now. It's in the bag and it scares my opponents. I cut it down to 33 inches, slapped some lead tape on the back and it's good to go. Unfortunately, it's not one of the originals worth over a grand, but it's still a great putter. I love it.

    I do have an Wilson Arnold Palmer blade putter that's worth a few hundred though. Nice putter.

    Arnie putted with an 8802 back in the day, too.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: John Daly misses Bay Hill tee time

    Arnie was on the golf channel yesterday and he spoke of his putters with Faldo and Kelly Tilghman.

    Speaking of Arnie, what a great guy he is. He just has such a great attitude and he comes off as someone you would enjoy spending the day with. Not everyone is like this. Jack Nicklaus is a good clean guy but he kind of gives off the feeling you don't want to ask him a stupid question. Arnie is the same no matter the subject.

    Who are the living Arnold Palmer's of the other sports? Not the best living player but the guy who just never seems like he has a bad day who also happened to be pretty good in his day while also continuing to grow the sport?

    Or is Arnie one of a kind?

  10. #24
    Member FIRELEFT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    192

    Re: John Daly misses Bay Hill tee time

    I'm From Arkansas. I have been around Daly a few times, in bars mainly, go figure.
    He is a real nice guy but he is going to find out all of the people that are pulling for him are starting to get tired of his act.
    Like i said I've been around him I do not know him personally. That being said I feel if he does not change somethings in his life style, playing Golf is going to be the least of his problems.
    "Pitching is the art of instilling fear."
    Sandy Koufax

  11. #25
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: John Daly misses Bay Hill tee time

    The problem with Daly is that the things that make him popular are things that cause problems for him.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  12. #26
    Member FIRELEFT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    192

    Re: John Daly misses Bay Hill tee time

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The problem with Daly is that the things that make him popular are things that cause problems for him.
    True
    "Pitching is the art of instilling fear."
    Sandy Koufax

  13. #27
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,396

    Re: John Daly misses Bay Hill tee time

    Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Arnie was on the golf channel yesterday and he spoke of his putters with Faldo and Kelly Tilghman.

    Speaking of Arnie, what a great guy he is. He just has such a great attitude and he comes off as someone you would enjoy spending the day with. Not everyone is like this. Jack Nicklaus is a good clean guy but he kind of gives off the feeling you don't want to ask him a stupid question. Arnie is the same no matter the subject.

    Who are the living Arnold Palmer's of the other sports? Not the best living player but the guy who just never seems like he has a bad day who also happened to be pretty good in his day while also continuing to grow the sport?

    Or is Arnie one of a kind?
    How about Pete Rose? He's exactly like Arnie, isn't he?
    Seriously, no man who makes as much money as Arnie or Jack or Tiger do from golf have any right whatsoever to be anything other than deliriously happy all the time.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  14. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: John Daly misses Bay Hill tee time

    Right but the thing I am talking about you are born with and Jack and Tiger weren't born with what Arnie has. Few are. Plenty of people are good at what they do and are nice people but Arnie is truly special.

    Gary Player comes the closest but he can sound like your angry grampa at times. Player has a good, strong message though and I think his delivery is plenty effective for what he wants to get across.

  15. #29
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: John Daly misses Bay Hill tee time

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    No, I'm not Crenshaw, but I do putt like him.

    I've used the 8802 for 16 years now. It's in the bag and it scares my opponents. I cut it down to 33 inches, slapped some lead tape on the back and it's good to go. Unfortunately, it's not one of the originals worth over a grand, but it's still a great putter. I love it.

    I do have an Wilson Arnold Palmer blade putter that's worth a few hundred though. Nice putter.
    33 inches and lead tape.... Kirk Kurry would be proud....

  16. #30
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: John Daly misses Bay Hill tee time

    Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Speaking of Arnie, what a great guy he is. He just has such a great attitude and he comes off as someone you would enjoy spending the day with. Not everyone is like this. Jack Nicklaus is a good clean guy but he kind of gives off the feeling you don't want to ask him a stupid question. Arnie is the same no matter the subject.

    Who are the living Arnold Palmer's of the other sports? Not the best living player but the guy who just never seems like he has a bad day who also happened to be pretty good in his day while also continuing to grow the sport?

    Or is Arnie one of a kind?
    I think Arnie is one of a kind which is why he's still so popular now and is making more money than everyone else outside of Tiger and maybe Norman.

    I've had the pleasure of meeting Arnold and watching him play 9 holes. I caddied one winter at Bay Hill and he joined the back 9 of the group I was caddying in. What a nice surprise that was! I got to watch Arnie hit for 2 hours and I paid $100 to do it. Not a bad deal. What a genuinely nice person. He looks you in the eye better than anyone I've ever met and truely seems to care what you're saying.

    I don't get the same vibe from Jack either. I actually don't have any interest in meeting him. He just comes across as somebody I don't want to talk to.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25