Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: John Daly misses Bay Hill tee time

Re: John Daly misses Bay Hill tee time

I don't usually side with Colin Cowherd, but I do on Daly. He said that we the fans are his enablers. We continue to follow him, support him, and cheer for him. Because of that, sponsors and tournaments continue to invite him to play and his patterns of behavior are allowed to continue. He's never been allowed to hit "rock bottom." Callaway bailed him out of 2 million in gambling debts, and he went and did it again. The only way he will get help is for us to stop feeding into it.

It's a similar phenomenon to Mike Tyson. Tyson only gets better when he is out of the public spotlight. Maybe Big John can do the same.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I don't usually side with Colin Cowherd, but I do on Daly. He said that we the fans are his enablers. We continue to follow him, support him, and cheer for him. Because of that, sponsors and tournaments continue to invite him to play and his patterns of behavior are allowed to continue. He's never been allowed to hit "rock bottom." Callaway bailed him out of 2 million in gambling debts, and he went and did it again. The only way he will get help is for us to stop feeding into it.

It's a similar phenomenon to Mike Tyson. Tyson only gets better when he is out of the public spotlight. Maybe Big John can do the same.
    Interesting take.

Daly and Tyson are nothing alike as human beings, but as athletes they are viewed similarily by the public. I have to admit, I always looked forward to seeing Tyson fight no matter what was going on with him. My curiousity won that battle. It's the same with Daly. He's like a folk legend. Big John. Long hitter. Beer drinking, chain-smoking mess. People love to look at a big mess and accidents waiting to happen. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I do hope JD turns it around, but I don't see him changing. Ever.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Oh, guess who won the tournament?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Oh, guess who won the tournament?
    Was 0 for every putt he'd attempted outside of 20 feet until that last one....

I think we're going to see a very special year from him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Was 0 for every putt he'd attempted outside of 20 feet until that last one....

I think we're going to see a very special year from him this year.

Think he'll win the Grand Slam?

Wow, what an awesome finish!

Will he win the grand slam? Probably not, but I'd never bet against Tiger. He'll win the first two. I imagine he'll dominate the Masters along with the US Open at Torrey Pines. The weather across the pond could derail him again from shooting for the grand slam at the PGA. We'll see. I hope he wins the first 3 because I just can't imagine how awesome the PGA Championship would be if Tiger has a shot at the grand slam.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Think he'll win the Grand Slam?
    No, I agree with Redhook.

Tiger cares about Augusta, and loves Torrey Pines, so while I don't want to say he's a lock for both, I certainly wouldn't give anyone else great odds. Tiger looked dominating at Torrey Pines earlier this year, so he obviously has to be the early favorite.

The British Open will be the hurdle, b/c it's at Royal Birkdale, and TBO hasn't been there since 1998. Last time it was there, a young Tiger Woods finished 1 stroke behind winner, Mark O'Meara. Had he not fired a 3rd round 77, Tiger would have easily won the Claret Jug that year. That being said, Tiger's only played RB once. Granted, he played it with 2 phenomenal rounds, 1 good round, and 1 crappy round. What Tiger has shown is he's matured at TBO by hitting less drivers each year. He's adapted his game to any condition, so while TBO will be a hurdle, it's only b/c he's played 4 competitive rounds at RB in his professional career.

Based on how he plays in TBO at RB, will dictate how he approaches the PGA. If he wins TBO, then you will see him then focus solely on the PGA, make no mistake about that. If he doesn't win TBO, then I think the PGA will be an after-thought to him, b/c he looks so focused and determined to win the slam this year that I have a feeling that if he doesn't, he will look at 2008 as a failure. Tiger wants to continue to re-write history, and he would be the 1st professional to ever win the modern day slam.

I was pretty impressed that Singh was able to hang after being so sick. That guy is an iron man.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

A golfer in 2nd to Woods after three rounds was once asked what he'd
    have to shoot on Sunday to win, and he said, "Tiger".

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Jack is not that well liked around Dublin, Scioto (his first CC), or OSU for that matter.

I worked for ABC sports on the Santini crew for a few years at the Memorial Tournament (Muirfield). My experience with John Daly was that he was a very cool dude. I was surprised at his height as I expected him to be bigger. Not that imposing. He was very nice and smoked like a chimney, as we all know. He just, to me, represents the every man. So many of these guys have been coddled their whole life, growing up on country clubs, never having to get their hands dirty and I think Daly appeals to people, because he seems to be the opposite of that stereotype. He's like Happy Gilmore without the temper.

Other good guys from my experience (off the top of my head): Justin Leonard, Hubert Green, Jerry Kelly, Larry Mize, Fred Couples, Paul Stankowski, Ernie Els, Paul Azinger, and of course, Payne Stewart.

Speaking of Stewart. In 1999, on the last day of the tournament, I'm on the left side of 15 fairway and Payne hooks his drive down into the gully along the tree line. This is a side of the fairway that fans can't get to. Just ABC, the golfers, and their caddies. I walked around with him, his caddy, and a PGA official and helped him find his ball. Anyway, he wasn't having a great round. I think he was pretty much out of it at this point, even though he had started the day in contention. As frustrated as you'd think he'd be, he seemed very nice and so causal about the whole thing. He had a really bad lie in deep rough and had a tiny gap to punch his ball out. So he just casually walks up, drops his cigarette, stands over his ball for about 5 seconds, and punches out one of the most beautiful shots I had ever seen. I felt like the four of us (his caddy, Payne, the camera guy and me) are the only people on the entire golf course as we are so removed from everything down in this gully. It was surreal. I mention what an incredible shot it was and he just gives me a smile with such a casual "thanks", as he picks up his cigarette and climbs up out of the gully. I don't know what it was, but the dude just had "it". Pretty cool.

He died later that year.

I saw Bagger Vance the next year and I was reminded of that experience after watching Walter Hagen (Bruce McGill) hit the ball off the beach in that final scene.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 03-18-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Jack is not that well liked around Dublin, Scioto (his first CC), or OSU for that matter.

I worked for ABC sports on the Santini crew for a few years at the Memorial Tournament (Muirfield). My experience with John Daly was that he was a very cool dude. I was surprised at his height as I expected him to be bigger. Not that imposing. He was very nice and smoked like a chimney, as we all know. He just, to me, represents the every man. So many of these guys have been coddled their whole life, growing up on country clubs, never having to get their hands dirty and I think Daly appeals to people, because he seems to be the opposite of that stereotype. He's like Happy Gilmore without the temper.

Other good guys from my experience (off the top of my head): Justin Leonard, Hubert Green, Jerry Kelly, Larry Mize, Fred Couples, Paul Stankowski, Ernie Els, Paul Azinger, and of course, Payne Stewart.

Speaking of Stewart. In 1999, on the last day of the tournament, I'm on the left side of 15 fairway and Payne hooks his drive down into the gully along the tree line. This is a side of the fairway that fans can't get to. Just ABC, the golfers, and their caddies. I walked around with him, his caddy, and a PGA official and helped him find his ball. Anyway, he wasn't having a great round. I think he was pretty much out of it at this point, even though he had started the day in contention. As frustrated as you'd think he'd be, he seemed very nice and so causal about the whole thing. He had a really bad lie in deep rough and had a tiny gap to punch his ball out. So he just casually walks up, drops his cigarette, stands over his ball for about 5 seconds, and punches out one of the most beautiful shots I had ever seen. I felt like the four of us (his caddy, Payne, the camera guy and me) are the only people on the entire golf course as we are so removed from everything down in this gully. It was surreal. I mention what an incredible shot it was and he just gives me a smile with such a casual "thanks", as he picks up his cigarette and climbs up out of the gully. I don't know what it was, but the dude just had "it". Pretty cool.

He died later that year.

I saw Bagger Vance the next year and I was reminded of that experience after watching Walter Hagen (Bruce McGill) hit the ball off the beach in that final scene.
    The day Payne Stewart tragically died, I cried as if I'd lost a family member. He truly was cut from a different mold. Thank you for sharing your story about him from The Memorial!

As for the list of guys you have, Kelly and Els are the only two I'd met for any significant time. I watched Jerry Kelly hit balls down in Port St. Lucie, and he saw me taking notes and thought I was a reporter so he chatted me up, but I quickly told him I wasn't a reporter, but rather a PGA Apprentice, so we got to talking about why I wanted to become a golf pro, and we even had a very interesting (if you're a passionate golfer) conversation about the 1 plane swing vs the 2 plane swing.

I actually played 9 holes with Ernie Els at Merion. I was playing with a member and his guest from the club at which I worked in Philly at time at Merion, and we made the turn and I hear this "Do you mind if I join you on the back 9?" Turns out the member knew Els from a business venture, and set up the "chance meeting" so that his guest could meet Els. I was in awe of Els' size. He has to easily be 6'6", and has a ridiculously firm handshake. Very easy guy to talk to, was very engaging, not dismissive at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I actually played 9 holes with Ernie Els at Merion. I was playing with a member and his guest from the club at which I worked in Philly at time at Merion, and we made the turn and I hear this "Do you mind if I join you on the back 9?" Turns out the member knew Els from a business venture, and set up the "chance meeting" so that his guest could meet Els. I was in awe of Els' size. He has to easily be 6'6", and has a ridiculously firm handshake. Very easy guy to talk to, was very engaging, not dismissive at all.
    I'm jealous. Pretty cool story. Serious question for you. Which was better? Playing with Els or playing Merion? Fortunately, you got both at once, but I think I'd rather play Merion than play with Els. I'd love to play there.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I'm jealous. Pretty cool story. Serious question for you. Which was better? Playing with Els or playing Merion? Fortunately, you got both at once, but I think I'd rather play Merion than play with Els. I'd love to play there.
    Thankfully my first boss in the biz was a former Asst. Pro at Pine Valley. When I passed my PAT, that was my treat. He took me there. I was amazed at the level of reciprocity tossed around when you're associated with the magical words "Pine Valley". I was able to play both courses at Merion numerous times in my 2+ years in Philly thanks to my boss. I wouldn't say he was a fixture in the Philly golf community, but he was the pro at the 1st course I worked for about 15 years, and was well known and well respected. I definitely took advantage of every opportunity he provided me/rewarded me.

I guess since I've probably played Merion almost 20 times between the 2 courses (11 east, 9 west), playing with Els was better for me. It also doesn't hurt that I'm a huge Els fan.

I'm still jealous of you, though. You've caddied on a pro tour. I've only caddied for amateurs in their various local tourneys.

I must say, I've played at countless courses I never would have the opportunity unless I was in the biz. Gotta continue to take advantage.

Pine Valley, eh. I now officially hate you.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Turn Off Ads?