Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Download Connection Speeds

Download Connection Speeds

I am looking for some expertise from you computer gurus. What is your preferred method of testing internet speeds? There are sites like speedtest.net or speakeasy.net and they give numbers for download and upload speeds. Then there's Bandwidthplace.com and CNET.com which give much, much lower numbers. Which one is correct or most accurate? When using my AOL browser they suggest a method where you go to Help then click on About AOL and then hit Ctrl and y at the same time and it gives you still another reading. These numbers are all over the board. My head is spinning. What gives?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

Re: Download Connection Speeds

Step one, stop using the AOL browser.
    When testing speed, use a server closest to your location, and test it several times. Your speed may vary due to traffic on the server. Try to test your speed during off peak hours. It always varies though.

Hey it's my 666th post. I'm going to listen to Iron Maiden now.

I use dslreports.com Click on Tools at the top of the page.

You can track your speed over time and see the connection speeds in your area.

And download Mozilla's browser, Firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Step one, stop using the AOL browser.
    When testing speed, use a server closest to your location, and test it several times. Your speed may vary due to traffic on the server. Try to test your speed during off peak hours. It always varies though.
    I understand AOL isn't going to win any speed contests so when I test I expect they'll come out slower. What I'm having a hard time grasping is the huge variations in numbers in various speed tests. For instance Speedtest.net will give me a number of 14,000 kbps and http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html will give me a number of 948kbps. Why the huge discrepancy?

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I understand AOL isn't going to win any speed contests so when I test I expect they'll come out slower. What I'm having a hard time grasping is the huge variations in numbers in various speed tests. For instance Speedtest.net will give me a number of 14,000 kbps and http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html will give me a number of 948kbps. Why the huge discrepancy?
    I was just suggesting dumping the AOL browser because it's crapware. Not due to any speed issues.

I'd try dslreports.com and check the speeds of others using your service in your area. You might have a hardware problem or it just might be your provider.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    I'd try dslreports.com and check the speeds of others using your service in your area. You might have a hardware problem or it just might be your provider.
    I'm not experiencing any problems. I'm judging a few things. Such as which cable modem is faster and whether turbo Road Runner is really faster than standard Road Runner and others.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    The above plus look for a range. Test the speed at different times each day for a period of time for like a week or two. For example 8am, 2pm, 9pm or midnight, and come up with a range to see what the speed is and if you are getting what you are paying for.

For over a year I paid AT&T for a higher speed that I was not getting, and that is how I determined it by getting a range of speed from various times.

I have been having the same problem, and recently started a thread on it. I think it's just that my Zoomtown isn't working well. I hope it's them and not me. I've tested for spyware as much as I can, and can't find any. I usto get in the 7-800 kbps range. Now it's 4-500.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I have been having the same problem, and recently started a thread on it. I think it's just that my Zoomtown isn't working well. I hope it's them and not me. I've tested for spyware as much as I can, and can't find any. I usto get in the 7-800 kbps range. Now it's 4-500.
    I don't think that cookies or ie spyware would effect your upload or download speeds. The reduction that you are indicating would lead me to believe it is your supplier or that the neighborhood jumped on the same as you and are lowering your speeds. My understanding is that the upload and download speeds are from the ISP speeds and not our computers.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    I don't think that cookies or ie spyware would effect your upload or download speeds. The reduction that you are indicating would lead me to believe it is your supplier or that the neighborhood jumped on the same as you and are lowering your speeds. My understanding is that the upload and download speeds are from the ISP speeds and not our computers.
    I had it before where I couldn't even watch a Youtube video, but I did a spyware test, and it was back to normal. That was a few months ago though. I'm hoping to hear back from the company on an email I sent over the matter. I hope I don't have to pay for this.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I had it before where I couldn't even watch a Youtube video, but I did a spyware test, and it was back to normal. That was a few months ago though. I'm hoping to hear back from the company on an email I sent over the matter. I hope I don't have to pay for this.
    I understand. I found it best to contact the company and to have the data ranges in hand to support your comments before addressing it with them in the event that you are hooked up with one that is less than helpful or doesn't give you a solid reason and solution. Sometimes with some of these companies you can call different times and get different answers from their marketing or engineering departments I found those to be well versed in the song and dance vs a genuine response and solution at times.

I understand. I found it best to contact the company and to have the data ranges in hand to support your comments before addressing it with them in the event that you are hooked up with one that is less than helpful or doesn't give you a solid reason and solution. Sometimes with some of these companies you can call different times and get different answers from their marketing or engineering departments I found those to be well versed in the song and dance vs a genuine response and solution at times.
    You make some good points. I do have to get some information in hand for when I get ahold of them. Thanks.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What SF says.....

Test the speed at different times each day for a period of time for like a week or two. For example 8am, 2pm, 9pm or midnight, and come up with a range to see what the speed is and if you are getting what you are paying for.
    Speeds are going to vary depending on the time of day, # of people on (peak hours such as evening/day of the week), how far from the server.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    What SF says.....

Speeds are going to vary depending on the time of day, # of people on (peak hours such as evening/day of the week), how far from the server.
    I understand that. I guess I haven't made my point very well since no one is addressing it. Why do the download speeds vary so much from company to company? My download speeds have been clocked anywhere from 948 kbps to over 14,000 depending on what site I use. If I use one site the distance will vary my scores by about 10% which is understandable.

Take what GoReds33 said about his Zoomtown. What if his Zoomtown rep said "OK, let's test it. Go to such and such dot com" and the test comes back 2000 instead of 500 which he'd been getting at his site. How does he know the Zoomtown recommended site was accurate and his site was bogus?

Turn Off Ads?