Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Compare and contrast...

Re: Compare and contrast...

Actually, hasn't offense been Bowden's strength? It certainly looks better this year than last, especially if Milledge and Dukes mature and progress.

I'm not saying the rotation is perfect, but I certainly doubt JimBo's job is on the line this year. If his minor league system falls apart, maybe, but I doubt ownership in WASH thinks the team is ready to win THIS year.

And this isn't about that. I was noting the similarities AS I SEE them between Bowden and Krivsky. Both dumpster dive, both are infusing young talent at all levels. Bowden is coming off a decent draft where he spent a LOT of money, something he has not had the luxury of in a looong time. Krivsky essentially spent 2 mil on a 2nd round pick last week. I see parallels is all.

And I happen to really like the Nats OF. there is a ton of potential there coupled with a brand new park. Should be interesting. Also, IMO Bowden certainly got the best of WK in "The Trade". FeLo may get cut, but Kearns turned a corner after the ASB. The move to a new park will help even more. I see an .880+ OPS from him as not impossible, and even likely.

Pitching is an issue, but WK inherited at least 2 and possibly 3 of his SP's (Harang, Belisle and possibly Cueto) That's more serendipitous than any kind of skill.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Actually, hasn't offense been Bowden's strength? It certainly looks better this year than last, especially if Milledge and Dukes mature and progress.

I'm not saying the rotation is perfect, but I certainly doubt JimBo's job is on the line this year. If his minor league system falls apart, maybe, but I doubt ownership in WASH thinks the team is ready to win THIS year.

And this isn't about that. I was noting the similarities AS I SEE them between Bowden and Krivsky. Both dumpster dive, both are infusing young talent at all levels. Bowden is coming off a decent draft where he spent a LOT of money, something he has not had the luxury of in a looong time. Krivsky essentially spent 2 mil on a 2nd round pick last week. I see parallels is all.

And I happen to really like the Nats OF. there is a ton of potential there coupled with a brand new park. Should be interesting. Also, IMO Bowden certainly got the best of WK in "The Trade". FeLo may get cut, but Kearns turned a corner after the ASB. The move to a new park will help even more. I see an .880+ OPS from him as not impossible, and even likely.

Pitching is an issue, but WK inherited at least 2 and possibly 3 of his SP's (Harang, Belisle and possibly Cueto) That's more serendipitous than any kind of skill.
    I don't really think it's accurate to give WK little credit for this team's pitching depth. Sure, Harang and the like might have been here already, but he's added Volquez, Burton, Arroyo, etc., pieces that Bowden NEVER adds. He never gives up Pena for Arroyo, he never gives up Hamilton for Volquez, and I doubt he has the foresight to pick up Burton.

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but I just think that Jim Bowden is a bad GM who might be a worse person.

Jim Bowden

Bowden is a terrible terrible terrible GM.

nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I don't really think it's accurate to give WK little credit for this team's pitching depth. Sure, Harang and the like might have been here already, but he's added Volquez, Burton, Arroyo, etc., pieces that Bowden NEVER adds. He never gives up Pena for Arroyo, he never gives up Hamilton for Volquez, and I doubt he has the foresight to pick up Burton.

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but I just think that Jim Bowden is a bad GM who might be a worse person.
    through '99 he was lauded as a great GM, clever with payroll and willing to take flyers on players nobody wanted. In '94-'95 he had one of the best teams in baseball.

There are far worse GM's than Bowden. I could care less what he's like as a person.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...onals-pitching

Nats general manager Bowden takes not-so-veiled shot at struggling starters

WASHINGTON (AP)—Only two National League teams have a staff ERA higher than Washington’s 4.71, and Nationals general manager Jim Bowden took a not-so-veiled shot Thursday at the starting rotation he assembled.

Asked whether he’ll have a tough roster decision to make once right-hander Shawn Hill is ready to come off the 15-day disabled list, Bowden smirked.

“You’re not watching our pitching staff? The decisions are really easy. It’s simple: Get me better pitching,” the GM said. “I’ve got lots of moves I can make.”

The Nationals allowed 10 runs in each of their previous two games, against the Florida Marlins on Monday and Wednesday. Both nights, Florida scored seven runs while Washington’s starters—Tim Redding, then Jason Bergmann—were in the game.

Hill had hoped to be Washington’s opening day starter, but he went on the disabled list during spring training with a bothersome right forearm. He is slated to make a second minor league rehab start Sunday at Triple-A Columbus.

Bowden was asked whether that upcoming appearance will be enough for Hill to be ready to pitch for the Nationals.

“I hope so. I’m rooting for him,” Bowden said. “I don’t like watching starting pitchers give up seven runs a game. I’m not a fan of that. I don’t want our fans to have to watch that. So I’m looking for pitchers that are going to stand up and get people out, keep us in ballgames.”

Redding is 1-1 with a 0.82 ERA—six of the runs he allowed in his four innings Monday were unearned—and John Lannan is 0-1 with a 2.70 ERA in one appearance. But the numbers look far worse for Bergmann (0-1, 10.45), Odalis Perez (0-1, 6.00) and Matt Chico (0-1, 5.56).

Perez started Thursday’s game against Florida, hoping to end Washington’s six-game skid.

“We’re playing hard. We’re playing good baseball. Are we getting every clutch hit we need? No. Are we getting the quality starts maybe we need to win? No,” manager Manny Acta said. “But we’re still playing decent baseball out there. The guys are playing hard, working hard, giving me the effort.”

The Nationals think they could have their closer, Chad Cordero, back by the weekend. The right-hander, who went on the disabled list with shoulder tendinitis before pitching in a game, is scheduled to make a second rehab appearance at Class-A Potomac on Friday.

He threw one inning there Wednesday, and Acta said, “He had good command. Just want to see him one more time out there.”

“My shoulder felt great. I was able to throw my fastball and my slider for strikes, and that’s what I really needed to go down there—to see if I was able to do that,” Cordero said.

His velocity was around 86-88 mph, Bowden said, which is 3-5 mph slower than where Cordero tops out.

“We’re not concerned,” Bowden said.

“You’re not watching our pitching staff? The decisions are really easy. It’s simple: Get me better pitching,” the GM said. “I’ve got lots of moves I can make.”

Gosh, Jim, isn't that your job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

He could be referring to his scouts or his minor league coaches. The Nats have a long road ahead of them, but here are the things JimBo has done right IMO
    1. Hiring Acta as his Manager
    2. Hiring Larkin and Rijo as special advisors (yeah, it goes to his Reds bias, but so what?)
    3. He had by all accounts a very good draft in 2007
    4. Increased presence in Latin America (much better than the Reds thus far. Juan Duran was a fluke signing)
    5. Robbed the Mets of Milledge
    6. I like the acquisition of Dukes too.
    He's got a ton of pitching issues, and it wasn't anything he could fix in a year. He should have snapped up Claudio Vargas. He's going to have to get better help in evaluating pitchers. I like Rijo for PR in the DR (heh, rhymes) but not so much as a teacher. I'm surprised JimBo didn't go after Almarez.

I like what he's done so far in rebuilding the Nats, but they were in far worse shape when he got there.

Considering the fact that Bowden has been on the job 1.5 years longer than Krivsky I think it can be argued that he's done a considerably worse job.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Considering the fact that Bowden has been on the job 1.5 years longer than Krivsky I think it can be argued that he's done a considerably worse job.
    I'd say it was more of a wash. Bowden wasn't handed Bruce, Bailey Votto and Cueto. The Nat's ML system was the worst in baseball, while the Reds, when Krivsky arrived had a system on the rise. Krivsky hasn't added too much to it though.

Bowden is creative and can dumpster dive with the best of em. He remains horrible at judging starting pitching but always seems to build a decent pen and loves tools opposed to results too much, imo. Jimbo is also a liar, deceptive, without integrity. I don't think I'm too harsh - he has always seemed smarmy and self serving to me.

I believe K when he says Bowden misrepresented Majewski's health. I also believe baseball believes him but Bowden covered himself well enough that it's a hard charge to prove. Kriv has done a solid job with the Reds so far. Bowden has the Nats looking bad, imo. Decent pen, toolsy outfielders, lousy starting pitching, character ??s, and little to no chance at being competitive in the east. K has outperformed him on nearly every level. I don't see any parallels.

I'd say it was more of a wash. Bowden wasn't handed Bruce, Bailey Votto and Cueto. The Nat's ML system was the worst in baseball, while the Reds, when Krivsky arrived had a system on the rise. Krivsky hasn't added too much to it though.
    I think it's probably not too fair to give Bowden the full extra 1.5 years on the job too b/c the new ownership group didn't take over until mid 2006.

However, even taking away Bruce, Bailey, Votto & Cueto, I think Wayne's done a much, much better job than Bowden so far.

Bowden did draft Zimmerman, which was a good move, but I'm not sure he's done anything else of note with the draft.

I know Wayne darfted Stubbs and Menarasco (sp?) which are somewhat dubious moves but overall I like the talent he's added through the draft.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Jim Bowden ... remembering him is like remembering a bad nightmare over and over. As far as I'm concerned, throw him in the same dumpster along with all the other clowns in recent Reds history, such as ...

Marge Schott
    Carl Lindner
    Dan O'Brien
    Bob Boone
    Tom Robson
    Dave Miley
    Jerry Narron

With Bowden's name on that list, those are eight high class winners right there.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

toolsy outfielders
    ok, why is this bad again? Milledge and Kearns will hit. Kearns at least is getting on base, so he isn't killing them.

In fact, I really like the Nats offense. It hasn't fully clicked just yet, like the Reds, but they can do some damage with the bat. Nick Johnson is off to a terrific start, they have a solid bench.

But man that SP is a wreck. Krivsky has done a better job there, but considering he walked into the job with a bona fide ace, and Cueto and Bailey in the minors, it does make it easier. He traded for Arroyo, a good #3, but Josh Fogg has a job. Not much excuse for that.

Krivsky is lauded for taking chances on Phillips and Hamilton, but JimBo has "toolsy" OF's in Dukes and Milledge?

Simple fact is, Krivsky walked into a much better situation than JimBo did. WK has made 3-4 very good moves, addressing 2B and SP (Arroyo, Volquez, Maloney). JimBo has made 3-4 very good moves. Getting Milledge and Dukes for nothing, has built a solid bullpen, and has an overall youth movement going on. I really like Flores at C. I'm thinking the job is his by the end of the year. Lo Duca is a place holder.

Simple fact is, Krivsky walked into a much better situation than JimBo did.
    And not much of it was because of Jim Bowden.

He could be referring to his scouts or his minor league coaches. The Nats have a long road ahead of them, but here are the things JimBo has done right IMO
    1. Hiring Acta as his Manager
    2. Hiring Larkin and Rijo as special advisors (yeah, it goes to his Reds bias, but so what?)
    3. He had by all accounts a very good draft in 2007
    4. Increased presence in Latin America (much better than the Reds thus far. Juan Duran was a fluke signing)
    5. Robbed the Mets of Milledge
    6. I like the acquisition of Dukes too.
    He's got a ton of pitching issues, and it wasn't anything he could fix in a year. He should have snapped up Claudio Vargas. He's going to have to get better help in evaluating pitchers. I like Rijo for PR in the DR (heh, rhymes) but not so much as a teacher. I'm surprised JimBo didn't go after Almarez.

I like what he's done so far in rebuilding the Nats, but they were in far worse shape when he got there.
    TRF, I'm guessing you won't be satisfied until we all echo that Bowden = Krivsky or we're joining your chorus of WK's no good or whatever.

You list seems more opinion than fact. I'll agree hiring Acta was a good move, but that doesn't dismiss that Baker can prove to have been an astute hire as well.

I'd love to have Barry Larkin working with the Reds, but there were issues between him and some of the team's management and he's where he is. You yourself acknowledged that Rijo is more PR than a value as a coach and I'll counter Mario Soto has have genuine effect on our pitchers. While not a direct hire by Krivsky, we've added Walt Jockety as a special advisor. We've got Bench & Griffey Sr. in the same type roles as Larkin & Rijo.

Increased presence in Latin America; you state "far better than the Reds" - and yet, the Nats last year had no team in the VSL where we shared one with the Rays. The Nats had two teams in the DSL to our one. I think we don't have a VSL team this year, but will have the DSL one.

The Reds presently have quite a number of prospects coming up from Latin America sprinkled throughout their system. And don't discount the effect of having three Domicans on this year's roster who seem poised to have good seasons - that will be considerable PR down there. And the Duran signing can have a similar effect. I just don't see your pat "far better than the Reds". Not to mention our growing work elsewhere in the world (I'm not familiar with the Nats scouting elsewhere, so I can't compare).

As for the Milledge and Dukes acquisitions, those do seem like they can possibly work out. But remember, it's Bowden - be very wary (that rhymes too).

Again, though, it seems you're wanting to grind an ax. I'm not buying it.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?