Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you rather have traded Dunn instead of Hamilton?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 27.91%
  • No

31 72.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you have rather...

Would you have rather...

....traded Dunn for Volquez instead of Hamilton?

I certainly would have. I have really high hopes and expectations for Josh Hamilton. In fact, I fully expect him to live up to the hype.

Consider this: ( A bit of a stretch of the imagination...but this sums up what people think of this guy)

Scott Miller, CBS Sports
    "I think Hamilton's got a chance to be maybe the best player in baseball," says a scout who has been tracking the Rangers through the Cactus League this spring. "I mean, this guy is Mickey Mantle or something."
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you have rather...

Well, but there was that tiny little problem of once the Reds picked up his option, they aren't able to trade him until June.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I'm just speaking theoretically here. So...would ya?
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

Quote Originally Posted by Grounds_Crew View Post
    Probably not, and to be honest, I don't think Texas makes that trade.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

got alil captain in u?

Nope not a chance. I loved Josh but he was injured to much for my tastes. Atleast with Dunn you kno what your going to get. He's been improving more lately on his contact and going the other way with the ball. Give me Adam Dunn over Josh Hamilton everyday.

Comparing Dunn & Hamilton: Power is more or less the same. On Base is in favor of Dunn, Strike Outs slight in favor of Hamilton, Batting Average is about the same. Health is in favor of Dunn, Fan Appeal is about the same. Defense is a land-slide in favor of Hamilton and so is SALARY. So I was surprise when the Reds did trade Hamilton & I have no complaints about Edison Volquez. I hope Hamilton has a great career in Texas. I, also, hope that Dunn & Volquez have long winning careers in Cincinnati.

I have a hard time believing that texas would have taken Dunn considering 1 of the main selling points on Hamilton for Texas is the fact that they believe he can play CF for the next year or 2 while Borbon developes then move over to RF or LF. Add that to the salary constraints, and most unlikely. Unless Dunn became a decent 1B defender then that would be a whole different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Grounds_Crew View Post
    Theoretically, I would rather have traded Ken Griffey Junior for Johan Santana.

In theory.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Yes. It's no knock on Adam, but Hamilton is cheaper, lightyears ahead of him as a fielder, would've been under our control for longer, and could arguably out-produce him down the line.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

josh hamilton might become a player as good as mickey mantle. Adam Dunn already is a top offensive player who will end up being a hall of famer if he continues to do what he has done. hamilton hasnt done it yet, maybe he will, maybe hes always getting hurt and finishes his career with less homeruns then dunn has right now. No one likes dunn but there are very few players who have put up the kind of numbers dunn has. He may not be the best player ever but hes a pretty good one.

I voted no. But I've changed my mind. The difference between the two is Hamilton is cheap, good defensively, and a little less dependable. I'd have kept Hamilton because the Reds could use that money on someone else.

Trade Dunn for Volquez? No.

If I were the GM, I wouldn't trade Dunn unless I were going to get a #2 or #3 starter. Dunn's offensive output (many remember his Ks but forget his great HR/RBI numbers) should get you more than a potential starter. Hamilton is still an unknown but he has incredibly high potential. I would have loved to see him remain a Red but I can see why they traded him.

Now if the Reds could have gotten a very good starter for Dunn and kept Hamilton, I'd be perfectly happy with that.

Personnally no because if I were to trade Dunn it would cost alot more to give him up than Volquez. Not to mention with Dunn you know you're going to get 40 homers, 100 RBIs, etc but with Hamilton he cant go on the DL at any minute. Hamilton really is a wild card.
    Most Vottomatic Player

I would, because Hamilton was in my eyes atleast as valuable to the Reds as Dunn was. Hamilton also was cheaper. That's why I would rather have traded Dunn.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Personnally no because if I were to trade Dunn it would cost alot more to give him up than Volquez. Not to mention with Dunn you know you're going to get 40 homers, 100 RBIs, etc but with Hamilton he can go on the DL at any minute. Hamilton really is a wild card.
    Sums it up pretty well except I think you meant "can" which I fixed above.

Turn Off Ads?