Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chase Headley on hitting

Chase Headley on hitting

"I think the strikeout is one of the most overrated stats in baseball,” Headley said. "It’s an out just like anything else. You can pretty much tell how I’m hitting by the counts. If somebody is on base, I’m trying to do some damage. But if there’s nobody on base, I like to see some pitches.”

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=800

I love unflappable hitters. He's tearing it up this spring and it's looking like he'll be the starting 3B in San Diego.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chase Headley on hitting

Dusty just popped a blood vessel.

He's not a "winner"
    Go Gators!

He's a good fit for their park too. Headley's on base skills should play out fine in Petco. Getting on base via the walk primarily, but he also doesn't need the long ball to be an effctive hitter. More of a line drive type of guy. So I think Petco will have less of an effect on him than it would say Kevin Kouzmanoff who needs homers and power to be an effective use of a line-up slot.

It's always refreshing to hear a guy like that who has his head on straight when it comes to hitting. Much like Brian Bannister, it sure makes a guy like Headley easy to root for when he has a clear understanding of what needs to be done to be an effective player. Joey Votto is a good example of that too.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    He's a good fit for their park too. Headley's on base skills should play out fine in Petco. Getting on base via the walk primarily, but he also doesn't need the long ball to be an effctive hitter. More of a line drive type of guy. So I think Petco will have less of an effect on him than it would say Kevin Kouzmanoff who needs homers and power to be an effective use of a line-up slot.
    I dunno. I love Headley and Kouzmanoff, but has ANYBODY hit particularly well in that park? Look at the splits of some of the Padres better hitters over the last few years. They do their damage on the road.
    Stick to your guns.

wonder how long it will be before we hear someone say he's a selfish player?
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Baseclogger IMO

If somebody is on base, I’m trying to do some damage.
    Uhh, as in "I'm up there hacking at the first good pitch I see."

That IS what Baker is talking about when he talks about what should be going on in the middle of the order.

If he's gonna start at 3B, is Kouzmanoff on the bench?
    Go BLUE!!!

One of Headley and Kouz is moving to LF. Not sure which.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

wasn't he in Blazing Saddles?

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    wasn't he in Blazing Saddles?

That's Hedley.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    One of Headley and Kouz is moving to LF. Not sure which.
    Kouz, supposedly Headley can play some defense at 3B.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I dunno. I love Headley and Kouzmanoff, but has ANYBODY hit particularly well in that park? Look at the splits of some of the Padres better hitters over the last few years. They do their damage on the road.
    I didn't say that he wouldn't be negatively affected, I basically said he is more immune than other guys... partly because his biggest strength IMO, is walking, which remains independant from his home park. Obviously any guys' power will be sapped, but Headley should still be able to produce in other ways and be an effective hitter considering Petco's standards.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Strikeouts overrated?

Well yes, if you are comparing strikeouts to other outs, there's little diffence.

But with what everyone knows about BABIP, putting more balls into play will increase your hits. You just don't want to do so at the expense of decreasing your power or accepting fewer walks.

Turn Off Ads?