Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lohse a Cardinal

Man Pills

Re: Lohse a Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    priceless.

last year everyone was screaming how badly Lohse sucked.

edit: that doesn;t mean that you TRF or Wilymorocks, or anyone else in this thread, really were the ones screaming.
    I hate Lohse. I'm glad he's not a Red. I can see him being what he was last year, but I could also see him being Milton.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I hate Lohse. I'm glad he's not a Red. I can see him being what he was last year, but I could also see him being Milton.
    He's not a good pitcher, but either is Affeldt or Fogg. I guess I'd rather have Fogg for 3.25 million less though. Really the numbers for Fogg aren't much worse than Lohse and I can't see him bombing like Lohse is capable of. I also could see Lohse going Milton on the NL and lets all hope for that.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    He's not a good pitcher, but either is Affeldt or Fogg. I guess I'd rather have Fogg for 3.25 million less though. Really the numbers for Fogg aren't much worse than Lohse and I can't see him bombing like Lohse is capable of. I also could see Lohse going Milton on the NL and lets all hope for that.
    I'd rather not have to guarantee a guy like Lohse 33 starts. Fogg's a placeholder.

Good move for the Cards, they needed bodies. That doesn't mean I consider him a savior or wish the Reds signed him though.

To me, Fogg and Lohse is kind of a tossup.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Kyle Lohse is what he is -- flashes of brilliance surrounded by mountains of headaches. I'm happy to let him be someone else's problem. No guarantees that you'll get another Matt Maloney for him if you try to move him again.

Especially considering the Reds have 2 starters locked and 3 or 4 talented young players that should be pushing into the rotation by June (if not opening day).
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

To me, Fogg and Lohse is kind of a tossup.
    Not when you add attitude and salary to the equation.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

i still would love to see someone with Lohse's talent but with Paul Wilson's attitude...
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd rather not have to guarantee a guy like Lohse 33 starts. Fogg's a placeholder.
    That is the real difference.

Fogg is making a small enough salary that no one in the front office will bat an eyelash if he is demoted to the pen or even AAA to make room for one of the kids. The same can not be said of a guy pulling down a $4MM salary.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Unfortunately, I think $4.25 million for one season is a bargain for the Cardinals. Not only are they getting him for below what I expected he would get on the open market per season (I also expected something in the 3-year/$21 million neighborhood) they have no long-term risk at all. The Eric Milton factor is not at play at all here. Good move by the Cards. Not great, but good.

BTW, I would rather have Lohse than Fogg+Affeldt and the pay is pretty much similar. And I also find the irony in that a lot of people ripped Lohse last year and now there are some who wish he was a Red and not a Cardinal. (I never ripped Lohse, I actually liked him while he was here... but I bet he was kind of a tool in the clubhouse. He didn't seem like a jerk when he was interviewed, but still... Definitely always showed a good arm when he was here though.)

I think Lohse is actually better than Silva and the M's WAY overpaid for Silva. Boras must be scratching his head (which is located somewhere up his rear end) right about now.

I'd rather have Johnny Cueto, and Edison Volquez, and Homer Bailey, and Matt Belisle. Three unproven and one who is not a head case, hardworking and cheap.

I was really hoping the Cards would sign Eric Milton.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    i still would love to see someone with Lohse's talent but with Paul Wilson's attitude...

The Reds have that someone.

His name is Aaron Harang.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Not when you add attitude and salary to the equation.
    I meant talent/performance wise.
    Not speaking of salary.
    IMO, both of them are on low priced, one year deals. Lohse at 4.25 million isn't so bad considering the contract Freel has to ride the bench. If Lohse was a good bet to be better than Fogg, then I would rather pay 3.25 million more for Lohse.. but I consider it a tossup on who will be better this year.

Now, comparing Lohse to Affedlt, I think Lohse might be the better bet if Affedlt is going in the rotation. I'm still guessing that Affedlt will be tried there, but maybe not.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

This morning on "Mike and Mike" Buster Olney called Lohse "the biggest loser in FA" relating Lohse went from turning down 3 for $30 M with the Phils and settled for this...he also interestingly mentioned Lohse was considering firing Boras last week and that he (Olney) isn't sure who negotiated this contract with the Cardinals...I found that interesting

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The Reds have that someone.

His name is Aaron Harang.
    Aaron's stuff is much better than Lohse's.

Turn Off Ads?