Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Which is more difficult

Which is more difficult

While listening to the dreadfull Indians v Blue Jays game on XM an interesting question was asked...

Which is harder for a player who's made the big time?

1) Being the "next big thing" sitting down in AAA in the middle of a big year. Getting the call to the big team late in the season and having to jump into things cold. You've got the pressure of being "the next big thing" along with going from the Mudville Flats to Broadway in the course of a day or two. Even though you are in the groove the pitching is faster/better, the balls are hit harder and the game is played faster.

2) Being the "next big thing" that finished a big year in AAA last year. You break camp with the team and head north to be an everyday player. You've still got the pressure of being the "next big thing" but now you've also not really seen any live pitching since last Septemeber. Your mojo may or may not have made the trip north. Also, while last September no one would have cared what you did because the team was out of it, now they REALLY care because every team is in the hunt come April.

I don't know...I thought it was interesting. Then again, I was driving from Paducah to Evansville.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Which is more difficult

As you said, a lot more people are watching on opening day than meaningless September games...

i think it depends entirely on the individual. keeping in mind that i think any player who picks either side (that is before they've been thrown into it) has a mental blockage of some sort, even if it just is a minor one.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I always think the best way to get that first call up is as an injury replacement, because they can tell the kid straight out that it's temporary, they're definitely sending him back when the other guy is healthy, so he has that mental out if he doesn't stick. It happens suddenly, so he doesn't have time to think about it too much in advance. He gets to think of himself as just helping the team out, so it's not all about him. And, he gets those "firsts" out of the way, gets to know everyone and how things work and what's expected of him, so when he does get called up permanently, it's already familiar. Of course, since you can't really arrange to have it happen that way, I think during the season is probably easier just because they're already into the routine of the season. I think it's probably toughest when the kid spends all winter and spring knowing he already has a job waiting for him.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?