Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cueto and Volquez move into the "spring training" starting rotation

Re: Cueto and Volquez move into the "spring training" starting rotation

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'd like to see Cueto slotted in at 4 and Volquez 5, but I'd take that scenario anyhow.
    I think for this team slotting should be more concerned with who these guys are as opposed to how they pitch. Cueto is a 22 year old valuable property who seems to have built his stamina to the point of being able to go 200 innings in 2008. The number of starts he makes is less concerning than how many pitches deep he goes per start IMO. I'd slot him between Harang and Arroyo. It isn't so much that I'm saying he's the number 2 as much as I want Harang and Arroyo who both can go deeper into games with less injury concern pitching the day before and the day after. That should allow the team to err on the side of taking Cueto out an inning too soon versus an inning too late.

I'd slot Belisle 4 and Volquez 5. Belisle can be the "take one for the team" guy allowing Volquez to be babied a little (not needed as much for him at his age as it is for Cueto IMO) with Harang following him.

Fogg is the long reliever that can come in and save the pen so that a bad start today doesn't have to mean pitcher abuse tomorrow. Fogg can also take a turn once in a while to allow the team to push everyone back a day or to allow one of the guys who may be gassed to skip a spot once through the rotation. I think that would set up quite well. Affeldt goes back to being a 1 inning lefty and hopefully fills a huge hole on this team. Bailey gets his 160 inning season of command development in AAA which should allow him to be an asset in 2009.

Harang
    Cueto
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Volquez

Fogg spot starting and long relief.

Best rotation since the late 80's, maybe longer.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    I think that he will or that Baker will try to get him a year in the bullpen working with Pole to prep him for next year. I am not convinced that the minor league experience or coaches down at that level can get him where he needs to get to at this point and that he might get over the hump by pitching out of the bullpen for a large part of the season.

It's not really a bad idea and it's something worth considering. But Homer seems to have more trouble with runners on base and more often than not he'll be coming in with runners on base if he's pitching out of the pen. I don't know if the Reds are going to be too keen about setting him up to fail like that. Of course he couldn't do any worse than Majewski. Plus he can work on that runners on base thing out of the bullpen where there's less pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

Harang
    Cueto
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Volquez

too young to say, of course.

but recall the end of 1995: Schourek, Smiley, David Wells, Burba, Portugal

And if Bailey gets pushed by the fact suddenly he's like the third best young pitcher and wants to "catch up", goes to AAA and comes up later hot, with Cueto and Volquez pitching well you could see a rotation of Harang-Cueto-Volquez-Bailey & Arroyo by year's end. With Arroyo as the 5th best pitcher quality wise! I know that's asking a lot from these kids but its not inconceivable, either. With Weathers, Belisle & Fogg working long relief and Roenicke-Burton-Cordero slinging heat at the end.

Mon vs. Det Cueto vs TBA WLW FSN Ohio

Wow! We all get to see Cueto pitch on TV. I can't wait until Monday now.

is ST counts for anything ... Cueto, Volquez and Fogg are pitching their way in and Affeldt and belisle are pitching their way out.

the game on Monday is in HD on FSN Detroit HD if anyone has the sports pack. I really was hoping Arroyo would get the start and Cueto would follow him. I want to see how Arroyo is looking this spring.

Talk about tough. Homer Bailey gets the Yankees and then the Red Sox to decide whether he is ready. "It ain't easy being cheesy...er, Homer."
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think for this team slotting should be more concerned with who these guys are as opposed to how they pitch. Cueto is a 22 year old valuable property who seems to have built his stamina to the point of being able to go 200 innings in 2008. The number of starts he makes is less concerning than how many pitches deep he goes per start IMO. I'd slot him between Harang and Arroyo. It isn't so much that I'm saying he's the number 2 as much as I want Harang and Arroyo who both can go deeper into games with less injury concern pitching the day before and the day after. That should allow the team to err on the side of taking Cueto out an inning too soon versus an inning too late.

I'd slot Belisle 4 and Volquez 5. Belisle can be the "take one for the team" guy allowing Volquez to be babied a little (not needed as much for him at his age as it is for Cueto IMO) with Harang following him.

Fogg is the long reliever that can come in and save the pen so that a bad start today doesn't have to mean pitcher abuse tomorrow. Fogg can also take a turn once in a while to allow the team to push everyone back a day or to allow one of the guys who may be gassed to skip a spot once through the rotation. I think that would set up quite well. Affeldt goes back to being a 1 inning lefty and hopefully fills a huge hole on this team. Bailey gets his 160 inning season of command development in AAA which should allow him to be an asset in 2009.

Harang
    Cueto
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Volquez

Fogg spot starting and long relief.

My thoughts exactly. Lets go with the best five arms. Cueto and Volquez have looked really good. Fogg gives us a long reliever which no one else in the pen can really do.

That gives us a pen of:
    1. Cordero
    2. Burton
    3. Weathers
    4 & 5. Likely two lefties: Stanton, Affeldt, Bray if healthy
    6. Roenike ( fingers crossed ), McBeth, Coffey :thumbdown or Maijk :thumbdown :thumbdown
    7. Fogg - long relief

Is it me or is our pen in deep doo doo if Weathers gets old fast or Burton was a 1/2 year wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Lets go with the best five arms. Cueto and Volquez have looked really good. Fogg gives us a long reliever which no one else in the pen can really do.

That gives us a pen of:
    1. Cordero
    2. Burton
    3. Weathers
    4 & 5. Likely two lefties: Stanton, Affeldt, Bray if healthy
    6. Roenike ( fingers crossed ), McBeth, Coffey :thumbdown or Maijk :thumbdown :thumbdown
    7. Fogg - long relief

Is it me or is our pen in deep doo doo if Weathers gets old fast or Burton was a 1/2 year wonder?
    I would imagine that Stanton, Affeldt, & Bray are all going to make it. Wayne said the other night that, ideally, you want 3 lefties down there. Majewski is also going to make the club IMO.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    the game on Monday is in HD on FSN Detroit HD if anyone has the sports pack. I really was hoping Arroyo would get the start and Cueto would follow him. I want to see how Arroyo is looking this spring.

Talk about tough. Homer Bailey gets the Yankees and then the Red Sox to decide whether he is ready. "It ain't easy being cheesy...er, Homer."
    or live in metro-Detroit

What time is the game? Sounds like it might be worth skipping school if necesary...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    or live in metro-Detroit

What time is the game? Sounds like it might be worth skipping school if necesary...
    I think it's @ noon.

I think it's @ 1:00 central.
    Central Time? That's random... well that's 2:00 here in the East so skipping school won't be necesary

Edit: Ah, I see the edit... early lunch!

I would imagine that Stanton, Affeldt, & Bray are all going to make it. Wayne said the other night that, ideally, you want 3 lefties down there. Majewski is also going to make the club IMO.
    So much for having a strong bullpen.

This is probably going to be considered blashphemy, but I will say it anyhow.

If Cueto and Volquez are ready, how about putting Belisle in the pen, where he seems to thrive and giving Fogg the #5 slot? I know Fogg is no savior, but that puts Fogg and Belisle both in roles where they've historically done better.

I'm not convinced Belisle will turn the corner this year as a starter. Just trying to be realistic, I do wish him well.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    This is probably going to be considered blashphemy, but I will say it anyhow.

If Cueto and Volquez are ready, how about putting Belisle in the pen, where he seems to thrive and giving Fogg the #5 slot? I know Fogg is no savior, but that puts Fogg and Belisle both in roles where they've historically done better.

I'm not convinced Belisle will turn the corner this year as a starter. Just trying to be realistic, I do wish him well.
    Because they didn't stretch him out to 177 innings last year for no reason. Belisle hit a bump today. Fogg's bump has been his entire career. If Belisle pitches his way to the 5th spot in the rotation, he's still better than most teams #5 guy. I think there is an actual plan in place, one that probably sees Belisle and to a lesser extent Arroyo as bridges to the young guys in the long term eventually all four of Maloney Cueto Volquez and Bailey could be starters on this team. I think all four will get starts this year.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?