Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cueto and Volquez move into the "spring training" starting rotation

Re: Cueto and Volquez move into the "spring training" starting rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I'd put Fogg at #5 and Belisle in the bullpen at this point...that of course meaning Volquez and Cuerto are in the rotation
    SOLD....lets go with what Matt said. As long as there is no unforseen fine print the rest of the way.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Volquez is starting today against the Phillies "A" lineup. Check out his line so far:

3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K

He struckout the past two MVP's Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins in the 1st inning.

I was never one who wanted to trade Bruce (amongst others) for Erik Bedard, but just imagine if the Reds did. Would a rotation of Harang, Bedard, Arroyo, Cueto and Volquez be the best in the Majors?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I was never one who wanted to trade Bruce (amongst others) for Erik Bedard, but just imagine if the Reds did. Would a rotation of Harang, Bedard, Arroyo, Cueto and Volquez be the best in the Majors?
    Salivating...

Volquez: 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K

That is Volquez' final line against the Phillies "A" lineup today. In 13 spring innings, Volquez has struckout 19 batters and has a 3.46 ERA. That is a 13.15 K/9.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-16-2008 at 02:29 PM.

Edinson Volquez's first start was a good one. He went five shutout innings, allowing three hits and walk. He struck out six. 69 pitches, 47 strikes.

The Reds took a 2-0 lead on Ken Griffey Jr.'s two-out, two-run single in the sixth.

Volquez lowered his spring ERA to 3.46. Most impressive: 19 Ks and 3 walks in the 13 innings.

He retired 11 of the first 12 he faced -- five by strikeout. His change-up was fooling guys big time.

He went to a 3-ball count on Jimmy Rollins before striking him out to start the game. Volquez wouldn't go to a 3-ball count until facing Ryan Howard with two outs in the fourth. Howard ended up singling. Jayson Werth followed with a single, but Volquez struck out Geoff Jenkins for his sixth strikeout to leave them runners stranded.

Volquez threw 10 pitches in the 1-2-3, 2-strikeout second, eight of which were strikes.

Volquez was at his best in the fifth. He got a routine groundball on the first pitch. But Brandon Phillips booted it. He walked the next hitter. But he got out of it. Brett Myers popped up trying to bunt. Rollins hit into a fielder's choice and Shane Victorino grounded out.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...after-3-12.asp

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

He razzled 'em, dazzled 'em, and made them look pretty foolish.

That's nice to say

More of the same but with some quotes from Valentin and Volquez.

Volquez mows ‘em down

By Hal McCoy | Sunday, March 16, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Latest comment

Edinson Volquez wasn’t content to shut out the Philadelphia Phillies for five innings on three hits on a day with humidity so thick you could bite it and chew it.

After displaying another dazzling imitating of Pedro Martinez, he did his Lance Armstrong act, riding a bicycle at full-pedal for another 30 minutes.

Volquez possesses four pitches, “All of of which he uses at all time and isn’t afraid to throw to anybody at any time,” said catcher Javier Valentin. “But his changeup is his best.”

Indeed, in the first inning Volquez struck out National League Most Valuable Player Jimmy Rollins on a changeup to open the game, then struck out Ryan Howard on a changeup to end the inning.

“When I signed, I was afraid to throw the changeup,” said Volquez. “I knew the grip, knew how to hold it, but I was scared. I wanted to throw as hard as I could. I thought if I threw soft, they’d hit. I’m older and wiser now.”

And much better. In four appearances this spring, he has pitched 13 innings, giving up five runs, 15 hits, three walks and struck out 19. He fanned six Phillies and swalked one in five innings Sunday, throwing 69 pitches, 47 for strikes.

Can you spell r-o-t-a-t-i-o-n?

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...incinnatireds/

Dusty has strong words on Volquez, Cueto

I asked Dusty Baker after the game the obvious question:

Are Edinson Volquez and Johnny Cueto separating themselves from the rest of pitchers competing for the rotation?

"You want me to say it or are you going to say," Baker said. "They're pitching like they belong along side (Aaron) Harang and (Bronson) Arroyo in the rotation. They're dealing. They came in ready to pitch. They played Winter Ball so they're ahead, not so much with velocity but with command. That's what you need. They're pounding the strike zone. If you walk people, you have no chance. If you get behind people, you have little chance.

"We need them."

There you have it: If season started today, the rotation would be Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez and probably Josh Fogg.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I don't care the order, but my 5 would be Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Volquez and Cueto.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    . They came in ready to pitch. They played Winter Ball so they're ahead, not so much with velocity but with command. That's what you need. They're pounding the strike zone. If you walk people, you have no chance. If you get behind people, you have little chance.

"We need them."

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/
    Big quote by Dusty. I think this explains alot. For a guy like Cueto, he may be gassed by June if not before. Especially if Dusty does his "mojo".
    Last edited by Aronchis; 03-16-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Have to hope that Baker really did learn something from the Prior/Woods days. Have to hope that, in any event, there are directives from WK mandating certain parameters for Volquez and Cueto in terms of usage and pitch count.

That said, I am pretty pumped at the notion of having those two in the rotation. It's a far cry from Dave Williams/Jimmy Anderson/etc./etc./etc. anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Have to hope that Baker really did learn something from the Prior/Woods days. Have to hope that, in any event, there are directives from WK mandating certain parameters for Volquez and Cueto in terms of usage and pitch count.

That said, I am pretty pumped at the notion of having those two in the rotation. It's a far cry from Dave Williams/Jimmy Anderson/etc./etc./etc. anyway.
    I'm excited too and these arms are obviously building blocks, but the point about them playing winter ball and being ahead of the competition has some validity. This dominance is likely a spring mirage, but they could still both be effective in a league average or a little better kind of way.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Um, league average? I would turn cartwheels if the Reds could get league average behind Arroyo and Harang. And then dance a jig.

My expectations are certainly not a mirror of what they have turned in this spring, just an aching hope that they can provide stability, competence, and occasional stretches of excellence for the back part of the pitching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Um, league average? I would turn cartwheels if the Reds could get league average behind Arroyo and Harang. And then dance a jig.

My expectations are certainly not a mirror of what they have turned in this spring, just an aching hope that they can provide stability, competence, and occasional stretches of excellence for the back part of the pitching staff.
    We're on the same page.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?