Turn Off Ads?

Thread: How Good Can They Be?

How Good Can They Be?

Realistically, how good can this group of players be? With four players in BA's top 50, it's not hard to see atleast two future all stars out of that. Volquez has proven that he's the real deal. Cueto is possibly the fastest rising prospect in baseball. I don't see why we can't be in the playoffs this year, or next year. Thankfully the ownership and front office have been smart in locking up the core players, like Arroyo, Harang, and Phillips. With any hope they'll lock up Adam Dunn, who is one of the centerpieces of the offense.

So with all of this talent, where do you see the team going in the coming years?
    1. Do you think that any of these players are overrated? Will any of them pan out?

2. Will ownership not be able to keep Griffey or Dunn, which would obviously cause a huge drop in offense?

3. Will the team be in the playoffs next year?

4. Will they be able to fit the players in to the short timeframe that all small market teams have to make a run?

Only time will tell which of these players will pan out, and what that means for the team. I can only hope that we keep these prospects, and key players together for the coming years. It's defenitly going to be fun to see what they become.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How Good Can They Be?

Volquez has proven that he's the real deal.
    I really like him so far, but, I think the coronation should wait a bit.

His K's look fantastic, but his line is not THAT mind-blowing. I mean everyone is gushing about his arm/stuff and that is great, but his stats are not that much better than Homer's (save the k's, walks). In fact, you could say that Bailey has been pitching to a better class of MLB hitters by starting rather than relieving. Of course, Edinson did K some impressive Phillies last time out

All I am saying is that we better see where some of these young guns really are before we give them the keys to the city. Both Volquez and Cueto are scheduled to start next time out, so maybe we'll be a little smarter then.

Remember also, spring training is spring training. It isn't (mostly isn't) a prediction of the regular season. If it was, Drew T. Anderson would be considered our best hitter
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

I like Volquez and think he will be good. He'd better be, for Wayne's sake, as Josh Hamilton is absolutely tearing it up this spring. Krivsky may have traded easily the best player on the Reds team of 2007.

Our offense has proven they can produce. We are only as good as our pitching staff will let us be.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Senor Votto

1. So far I don't think any of the big 5 prospects are overrated (Votto, Bailey, Bruce, Cueto, and Volquez). I'm not about to give up on Bailey just yet. I still believe he can be a star starter for the years to come. From what I've seen of Volquez and Cueto this spring so far they're pretty awesome. I'm sure they'll make the rotation.

2. I really don't see the Reds keeping Ken Griffey Jr. after this year which in it's own rights will have a better affect on the Reds. This would move Bruce over to RF and keep Dunn in Left Field. Then you can have a speedy CF to cover the extra ground in Left Field. And you get to use Bruce's arm in Right Field.

3. I can see them making the playoffs this year and next year to tell you the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    3. I can see them making the playoffs this year and next year to tell you the truth.
    You've done it now! I heard Steve Bartman respects Dusy Baker so much he's now a Reds fan.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

These guys have talent. We have a mixture of vets and strong young players. Is ti enough to win now? Not so sure, but I think the future is very bright.
    Losing Jr. and/or Dunn will not destroy the offense. It would be different, but we have guys who are preparing to step in and I think things would be fine without them. Our upcoming OF crop is promising and if we are competitive I think we will be players in free agency.
    I'm so ready for opening day. The end of basketball season is exciting because that means we can watch a real sport!

1. So far I don't think any of the big 5 prospects are overrated (Votto, Bailey, Bruce, Cueto, and Volquez). I'm not about to give up on Bailey just yet. I still believe he can be a star starter for the years to come. From what I've seen of Volquez and Cueto this spring so far they're pretty awesome. I'm sure they'll make the rotation.

2. I really don't see the Reds keeping Ken Griffey Jr. after this year which in it's own rights will have a better affect on the Reds. This would move Bruce over to RF and keep Dunn in Left Field. Then you can have a speedy CF to cover the extra ground in Left Field. And you get to use Bruce's arm in Right Field.

I'm not sure overrated is the word I would use, maybe more like overhyped. Alot of people want to believe in Edinson, as do I. I'm just not won over, yet, small sample size and all. I think Cueto looks like a real deal, but Volquez, to me, looks a little more raw (especially in his command). I mean, two pitches are great, but the third might be a work in process. He could make the rotation, but that would be out of a lack of other quality guys around. Affeldt looks toasty, Fogg is in (?). That leaves who else? Bailey doesn't look even close. Like I said, might be great, might be not so great. It surely isn't a lock.

I don't think Dunner may be around next season. Bruce looks to be the heir apparent to Griff and CF has many (albeit questionable) suitors, so I'm not sure how they handle it. It just doesn't look, so far, that he's in the plans past this year. They just aren't talking about a deal. Of course, that could change. His performance before the break, this season, will be key, IMHO.

As for the playoffs this season, my heart says yes, but my brain says "not so much". I just don't think we have the pitching, yet.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Turn Off Ads?