Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds negotiations with Goodyear, Arizona

Reds negotiations with Goodyear, Arizona

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...80381/1062/SPT

The Reds came away impressed from a field trip to Goodyear, Ariz.

"It was great," said former chief operating officer John Allen, who is heading the search for a new spring home. "It was very informative. They have a good plan."

The city of Goodyear is looking for a team to share its new complex with the Cleveland Indians.

The teams would share the 8,500-seat stadium but have separate practice fields, clubhouses and offices.

The Reds group, including CEO Bob Castellini, also visited the Surprise, Ariz., facility shared by the Texas Rangers and Kansas City Royals.

"We wanted to see how a two-team operation works," Allen said. "Basically, you have a game at the stadium every day."

The Indians move into the Goodyear facility in 2009. A second team wouldn't move in until 2010 at the earliest.

The Reds have the option to remain in their current facility in Sarasota until 2011.

The Reds and Goodyear officials did not talk specifics of a deal. "We'll take a few days to digest it," Allen said.

Elsewhere, a plan to keep the Reds in Sarasota is in play. A $41 million plan to rebuild the Ed Smith Stadium complex will be presented to the Sarasota city and county commissions Tuesday. Then they'll vote whether to move forward.

Another wrinkle: The Fort Myers News-Press reported Thursday on its Web site that a Reds official contacted a Lee County official Thursday about relocating there. The News-Press reported the conversation was informal and no details were discussed. Lee County is looking to add a third team. It already hosts the Boston Red Sox and Minnesota Twins.

The new Sarasota plan calls for the Reds to contribute $9 million to the project.

Would Goodyear require that kind of financial outlay?

"It's a different economic situation," Allen said. "We didn't get into specifics."

But is Goodyear a better situation economically?

"Yes," Allen said.

If the Sarasota plan moves forward, the Reds will have to weigh the economic benefit against moving their spring home farther from Cincinnati.

"I've gotten a lot of e-mails," Allen said. "It's been a mixed bag."

Something tells me Bob and John didnt pile the family into the SUV and drive out there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds warm to Arizona

I'd like to see some sort of concrete attendance numbers for games in Sarasota. How many Reds fans really travel to Florida for those games from outside of the Sarasota area?

I'm completely on the fence. I don't care one way or the other. I do get the feeling that the Reds are simply using Goodyear as leverage against Sarasota to get a deal done.

I've travelled from Tennessee to Sarasota for Spring Training but chances are low that I'd travel to Arizona.

I have driven from North Carolina 8 out of the last 12 years for spring training, usually staying @ a week down there, following the team around. I can guarantee I will never see a Reds ST game if they move to AZ (not that anyone cares), but I think the ecenomic saving for the Reds to move will be lost on attendance once they do.

Once I get to college I would love to see some st games during my spring breaks, but if they go to Arizona I would not travel that far just for st
    3-2 at games this year
    5-9 all time

2010 central division champions

Ya can't teach speed...

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I have driven from North Carolina 8 out of the last 12 years for spring training, usually staying @ a week down there, following the team around. I can guarantee I will never see a Reds ST game if they move to AZ (not that anyone cares), but I think the ecenomic saving for the Reds to move will be lost on attendance once they do.
    I'm not sure I agree. I used to do some business in the Phoenix area and I made a point to get down there during Spring Training. I got to see games with the way north teams like the White Sox, Cubs, Mariners and Milwaulkee, not to mention the nothern California teams that are 13-15 hours away. I don't recall ever going to a game that wasn't packed to the rafters...especially the Cubs. The Cactus League doesn't seem to have trouble finding people to buy tickets. Maybe, the Reds would lose a few Reds fans that won't go because they it now too far away, but they will likely pick up some Reds fans that live in the Western part of the country. Likewise, the facilities are so close in proximity to one another in AZ I think they get a lot of just pure baseball fans that go for a week to make the rounds. Its a bit harder to do that in Grapefruit League. In terms of $$$$ I suspect that the Reds would do equally well in AZ as they do now in Sarasota.

Oh and one other point...less chance for iffy weather and virtually no rain outs/delays in AZ.
    Last edited by Triples; 01-18-2008 at 12:09 PM.

Guess I didnt give non-Reds/just b-ball fans much thought there, but I guess your prob right. As for the rain, I hear that a lot, but in all the years I have gone down to FL for ST, it has rained once when I was there-now granted it really, really rained that time, but only once. So, I guess my biggest objection left is simply personal and selfish.

Id probably be more willing to travel to arizona than the boring old trips to florida

Basement-Dwelling Blogger JinAZ's Avatar

I live in Arizona, but unfortunately will almost certainly be moving before the Reds could arrive.

But I will say that spring training in Arizona is nothing short of fabulous. I haven't been to Florida for ST, so I have no comparison. But most of the teams in AZ are in the Phoenix area, so if you wanted you could hit almost (aside from a team or two in Tucson) every game without driving more than an hour in any direction. The weather is spectacular--bright sunny days, whispy clouds, and it doesn't really start to get hot until the last week or so of March.

Plus, the facilities around here are absolutely top-notch. I've gone to several games in the Angels' and Giants' spring training facilities the past few years, as well as the facilities up in Peoria for the Arizona Fall League, and they're fantastic places to see ballgames. Intimate, nice lawn seating, good concessions, etc.

Again, I'm not saying that any of this is dramatically better from what the Reds experience might get in Florida. But it seems to me that the chance to share a facility with the Indians could be a heck of a draw. Maybe you wouldn't drive out here, but the way gas is going, that's not much cheaper than flying+car rental these days.
    -j
    Last edited by JinAZ; 01-18-2008 at 02:14 PM.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

The Sarasota County Commissioners appear doubtful to fund the ballpark upgrade because of two dissenting commissioners and for the issue to pass no more than one commissioner can vote 'No' on the project. Doubtful of passing even with the Reds pitching in $9 million of their own money, reportedly. Now things, financially speaking, are much brighter in Goodyear, Arizona with the Reds not required to contribute any money of their own. So guess where I'd be inclined to move to if I were Bob Castellini. The trend has Florida Spring Training teams leaving to set up shop in Arizona and Arizona has been pushing hard to accomplish this. Florida's attitude, statewide, seems to be they have enough going for it to draw tourism without funding MLB teams hopes of getting a better playing field, et al. So which state needs MLB more to help draw tourism? I would think Arizona and it shows. I think the Florida legislature, on all levels, knows this as well and future support of tax dollars being spent on spring training is drying up. Just look how difficult it has been for the Florida Marlins to get state funding in hopes of securing a new stadium.

2010 will see the Reds out of Sarasota and likely in Goodyear.

I Hope Not. Ba Humbug Arz.

I'd like to see us move to Arizona. Nicer facilities...

I've been 7 of the last 8 years. The only reason I can afford to go that often is I have family in Ft. Myers (cheap accomodations). I catch the Reds there vs. Redsox and Twins, and a couple games in Sarasota, which is a little over an hour away. I don't have family in Az. So yeah, maybe I'm selfish, but I am also loyal, and I am there. Besides ST, I buy a partial season ticket even though it's over an hour's drive from home. There is so much more to do in Fla., Disney, Epcot, Busch, Universal, Everglades, Bay of Biscayne, Big Cypress, for those with family. The Keys for the party animals, and the Beaches (for those who like to ogle all the beauties there on Spring Break, while partying). I will not be happy if they end up in Az. It's not just Reds fans from Cincy area that go to ST in Fla. Many on this site are probably too young to remember, but the Reds had a lot of fans and a huge radio network in the Carolinas, Tenn., and even into Ga., before the Braves finally got good. A lot of those fans are still out there and show up in March. Kinda' like all the Browns fans in the Cincy area.

And, I've heard those beaches in Az. really suck

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    I've travelled from Tennessee to Sarasota for Spring Training but chances are low that I'd travel to Arizona.
    the same here, and i have plenty of family in florida but although i have one uncle in AZ i just cant picture the Reds ST there for some reason. i hope they make the 'right' decision, not only baseball wise but also for the fans which is a reason why they do play.

So far, I read 6 for staying somewhere in Fla., 5 Okay or for AZ., with a couple neutrals. I point out tradition is that the Reds ST on the Gulf Coast of Fla... Tampa, then ugh, ugh, gag, Plant City, and more recently, Sarasota. They should stay on the Gulf Coast. I have admitted in a previous post I am selfish, having family there, but I think there are a lot more "Home Fans" capable of making the Fla. trip than an Az. trip. Lee County is also interested in the Reds re-locating there, which would put them cozy-next to the Redsox and Twins, and put me in hog Heaven personally. I would love to hear from fans who attend ST--- often or occaisonally, ---as to what the difference would mean to their being there. Fla. or Az.?

Turn Off Ads?