Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drugs Are Not The Only Problem Our School

Drugs Are Not The Only Problem Our School

So are black market Skittles!

http://www.ksn.com/news/also/16649561.html

Kid suspended for buying Skittles

HARTFORD, Connecticut, March 13, 2008 (NBC) -- The principal of a New Haven, Connecticut school has decided to wipe out the suspensions of students who were punished for the sale of a bag of candy, the school district announced Wednesday.

Michael Sheridan, an eighth-grade honors student at Sheridan Magnet School, was suspended for one day for buying a bag of candy at school. He was also barred from attending an honors student dinner and stripped of his title as class vice president.
    A school district spokeswoman said Principal Eleanor Turner agreed to expunge the suspensions from Sheridan's record and allow him to resume his student leadership post after meeting with his family and the superintendent.

School officials said he was punished because he bought a bag of Skittles for $1 from another student. Sheridan, 14, said he didn't know buying candy was against school rules, but he said he realized something was strange based on the other student's behavior.

"I didn't know it was really like against board policy, until he was all secretive," Sheridan said. "And it was really weird how secretive he was." He said he expected to get a warning about the candy, not a suspension. "I thought I was going to just get like, 'No, that's bad to do. Don't do it again,' not like, suspended," Sheridan said.

The principal originally ordered an immediate three-day suspension, but Sheridan's mother, Shelli, fought to reduce the punishment to one day. "I'm thinking, you know, he was hungry," she said. "He wanted a piece of candy. So, OK, I didn't think it was such a big deal."

School spokeswoman Catherine Sullivan-DeCarlo said the New Haven school system banned candy sales and fundraisers in 2003 as part of the district-wide school wellness policy. No candy sales are allowed in schools, she said.

In a statement, Turner said she should have reinforced the policy to parents in writing. She apologized, but said her intention was to maintain a safe and orderly environment.
    "Letting students carry large sums of money around, letting them buy and sell and eat candy in classrooms, disrupting the instructional day and the risks it poses to students with allergies, are truly hazards," she said.

The student who sold the candy also was suspended. His suspension will also be expunged from his record.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Drugs Are Not The Only Problem Our School

Any thought that this kid had of ever running for public office is completely gone now, thanks to Skittlesgate.

Green Skittles are worth any suspension or punishment.

Skittles is a gateway candy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Thats what I was thinking too, next thing you know they'll be freebasing peppermint.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

This is stupid to the point of funny. Something like this sure wouldn't happen where I teach.
    Here is "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood" (I teach in an upscale district), kids beat the crap out of each other and send text messages (3rd graders mind you) during classes and they have to write a paper saying how what they did was wrong.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Wow. I was a "junior entrepreneur" in school (no, nothing very illegal). In today's world I would have never made it past sixth grade.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Wow. I was a "junior entrepreneur" in school (no, nothing very illegal). In today's world I would have never made it past sixth grade.
    I rented kids ties when I was in high school. If they forgot their's, I had a stock in my locker. I can't remember what I charged, but probably about a buck, which was some real money back then! And I hated the ties - wore a bow tie just to be different and started a "tie liberation day" to stop wearing them a week early to protest, but heck, I made some bucks renting those babies out. I feel so cheap now.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I sold Air Heads candy and Tongue Splashers (gum that turned your tongue different colors) on the school bus when I was in 6th grade.

I used to go with my mother to Sams club and buy a box of Air Heads (80 count) for $5. I'd then sell each Air Head for 25 cents. I made over $100 before the bus driver threatened to have me suspended from riding the bus if I didn't stop.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I would have been charged with forgery for signing my mom's name to stuff in today's world.

March 3

A Middletown High School student was cited for forgery after she used white correction fluid to erase the name from an old doctor's note, then photocopied the note and added her name in order to skip school.
    http://www.middletownjournal.com/sea...ceblotter.html
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

My school was strict on forgery. My mom always told me that if it was a paper due that day, I could sign her name, and if they called she'd say she signed it.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Taste the rainbow.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Senor Votto

When I read the thread title I thought the article was going to be about STD's. But skittles is even worse I guess

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Taste the rainbow.
    I think Skittle commercials, as well as all candy commercials, should go the way of cigarette advertising and be banned from TV. We're sending the wrong message to our kids.

Mothers milk leads to Skittles.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?