Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's next....?

What's next....?

What's the next currently undervalued skill set that will help teams gain a competitive edge?

A resurgance of speedy players?

A re-evaulation of bullpen roles, pitching types and roles?

Low cost crafty pitchers instead of volitle, injury prone flame throwers?

I'm just tossing out ideas off the top of my head. What directions do you think teams are heading with player skills, or should be heading, to find new ways to build competitive teams?

Or has everything under the baseball-sun been done?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What's next....?

I think speed is on the rise. There seem to be fewer catchers with a gun, and I see quality SB threats making a comeback.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    What's the next currently undervalued skill set that will help teams gain a competitive edge?

A resurgance of speedy players?

A re-evaulation of bullpen roles, pitching types and roles?

Low cost crafty pitchers instead of volitle, injury prone flame throwers?

I'm just tossing out ideas off the top of my head. What directions do you think teams are heading with player skills, or should be heading, to find new ways to build competitive teams?

Or has everything under the baseball-sun been done?
    Good question. The Marlins won a World Series in 2003 with youth and speed, but there were no takers for the same blueprint.
    Last edited by Spitball; 03-14-2008 at 09:35 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I think speed is on the rise. There seem to be fewer catchers with a gun, and I see quality SB threats making a comeback.

I wish. But the slide step has changed the math on stealing bases.

Speed makes more of a difference going first to third, IMO.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I wish. But the slide step has changed the math on stealing bases.

Speed makes more of a difference going first to third, IMO.
    Even so, bases have never been easier to steal. The SB success rate in the NL was 75.6% last season.

I suppose there's a chicken-and-egg argument to be made that the success rate is a function of being more cautious, but it seems to me that elite basestealers have almost no reason not to go more often (and I'll note that a lot of the CS I see are bad calls by the umps, giving the fielder credit for a tag that hasn't been made).
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Budgeting for wins rather than trying to squeeze out as many wins as possible from a compromised roster necessitated by a preset payroll....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Hopefully hiring overrated big name managers will be the new craze that leads to October....er, well November I guess nowadays. Oh yeah, and speed never slumps....

To answer the main question, I figure that in a decade or two we're going to see power pitching gain dominance over the hitters. If you go back 20 years, the average pitcher was in the high 80s. Now he's in the low 90s. I expect that trend to continue and what we'll eventually see is pitchers who throw so damn hard that hitters just can't catch up.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

I wish for the trend of bigger ballparks, but it ain't gonna happen.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    To answer the main question, I figure that in a decade or two we're going to see power pitching gain dominance over the hitters. If you go back 20 years, the average pitcher was in the high 80s. Now he's in the low 90s. I expect that trend to continue and what we'll eventually see is pitchers who throw so damn hard that hitters just can't catch up.
    that's a good observation...with that in mind I'm wondering with that trend how long we can expect the average pitcher to last without sitting out a year and a half rehabbing from surgery or counseling or whatever.

It seems to be getting to the point where you have to have 7 or 8 quality starter to compete instead of 4 of 5....scary for our guys.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I agree. But I see it as catching up to the hitters mostly. For years the adage has been you can't teach the fastball. Actually you can to a point. Sports science has helped hitters most to this point, imo.

Now the pitchers are breaking through -better coaching and understanding of the mechanics behind velocity, better training & conditioning methods, better equipment at young levels ( I mean pro style training stuff -here at MC Sports for instance they sell pitching mounds and cages for Pony baseball that will fit in a basement or backyard complete with JUGGS guns. Add a camcorder and you can teach all year long and believe me Dad's & coaches are buying this stuff for their boys. My son-in-law is an asst mgr for MCS and he tells me the money parents spend to help their kids is mind boggling - and pitcher's training equipment is one of their hot ticket items.

Soon most little league teams and just about every HS will have this kind of advanced equipment. Just a decade past when my son was in HS they had nothing of the kind). Our HS coach runs regular clinics for Pony coaches, with help from the baseball staff at MoWesternStateCollege.

He's set up a training funnel of quality coached kids who graduate Pony teams to Benton High School's program and last year they win the state title -after finishing in the top 4 3 years straight. Before he started this 'coaching the coaches' program Benton had only made the state tourney once in 50 years.

There have always been programs for hitters but now pitchers can get top level instruction, too. All of this helps identify and select the kids who can throw hard naturally and brings them way ahead of curve. Then as they grow and their bodies get stronger and bigger they gain even more velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    I wish for the trend of bigger ballparks, but it ain't gonna happen.
    Can't have those seats on the OF be too far away.

I'm hoping for the base ejector.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    speed never slumps....
    especially if it can't get on base.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Haunted by walks

Speed gets tired.

Speed pulls a hammy.

Speed walks slowly back to the bench after striking out.

Speed was an underrated movie.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

More tailoring defensive strategy to specific hitters and/or pitchers. A top notch middle infield for a ground ball pitcher, more shifts against pull hitters, etc.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?