Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you approve of the job Wayne Krivsky is doing as GM of the Reds?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

52 70.27%
  • No

4 5.41%
  • Not Sure

18 24.32%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wayne Krivsky Approval Rating

Wayne Krivsky Approval Rating

Wayne Krivsky is in the final year of his contract and the Reds have to decide whether or not to give him an extension. Do you approve of Wayne Krivsky's job as General Manager of the Cincinnati Reds?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wayne Krivsky Approval Rating

I have to wait and see how he and the staff handle the pitching staff and how that works out and see what he does about the offense, will it be Hopper, Freel, Gonzalez, Castro and their present catchers to the rescue or will he upgrade. Plus he has question marks to solve with Griffey and Dunn's contracts.

I wish an option was present that said, "I'll have a better idea by the end of this season." I realize that "not sure" is the closest thing, but still.

Voted yes.

He's entering his 3rd season as our GM, and I've gotten a better "feel" of the plan/direction he wants to take this team. In my mind that was firmed up when he refused to trade any of our prospects during the off-season when he has opportunities to do so. He held his hand.

In the performance of his job he has made some good moves, bad moves, and some "we'll have to wait and see" moves.

I simply am more optimistic going into this season then prior. And it's what he has attempted to do (address) in the area of pitching.

And I hope he is given a vote of confidence and extended IMO.

My eyes are going to be more on what Dusty does with what he has been given.
    Last edited by GAC; 03-15-2008 at 08:30 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Voted yes.

In the performance of his job he has made some good moves, bad, moves, and some "we'll have to wait and see" moves.

I simply am more optimistic going into this season then prior. And it's what he has attempted to do (address) in the area of pitching.
    C"mon GAC, You say that every year.

Wayne has devoted a whole bunch of energy, time and money in order to improve the bullpen. The bullpen still sucks.

krivski is far too often given credit for the Reds talented farm system while the organization has yet to draft anything close to the talent drafted under Dan O'Briens or Jim Bowdens watch.

This is just my honest and humble opinion, I'll duck and take cover now.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-15-2008 at 05:44 AM.

thats crazy talk right there, saying "he has yet to draft anything close" is just taking a cheap shot and not accurate, his drafts are on par IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    thats crazy talk right there, saying "he has yet to draft anything close" is just taking a cheap shot and not accurate, his drafts are on par IMO.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. My opinion just happens to disagree with yours.

Crazy talk or not. I quess time will tell.

K has had some good, some bad moves. The only major bad move to me was the trade and I don't pan it as much as some do but the pitching is getting younger and better and moving toward hard throwers, the minor leagues look much improved depth wise, and I for one am glad he didn't pull the trigger on a mega deal this winter involving 2 or 3 or more of the top kids. He hasn't been a bad GM, and he isn't a top tier GM - yet - but he seems to be growing in his job. And - if he's willing and able to listen and to learn from Jocketty while keeping his own strengths then he should grow even better. I vote yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion. My opinion just happens to disagree with yours.

Crazy talk or not. I quess time will tell.

I respect your opinion, if you just look at everyone's top 10 list and I mean everyone's, youll see that allthough he doesnt have the top 4 guys the rest are his picks so to just blatantly say he hasnt come close is a senseless comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    C"mon GAC, You say that every year.
    You won't find where I ever said that about ol' leatherpants. :
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Yep. I've gone from a Wayne Krivsky critic to a Krivsky fan in about a 15-month span. There have been a few of his moves that I didn't approve of but I still think his positives have far outweighed the negatives.

I made this post in another thread yesterday but I'll copy-and-paste it in here because it's more appropriate for this thread:

At one time I was a big critic of Wayne Krivsky but that has really changed over the past year or so. I'm very pleased with the direction he has this organization headed in - I've never seen this much young talent in this organization since I've been a fan. Look at all the talent he has acquired for basically nothing: Phillips, Burton, Hamilton, Coutlangus, and Keppinger. He then flipped Josh Hamilton for a guy who looks like he could go all Jose Rijo on the NL this year. That trade is going to end up being the deal we look back on and say it's what put the Reds back on the map. Yeah, I like Volquez that much.

The most important thing in the Krivsky era has been the health and develoent of the Reds top prospects. Look at the past regimes...all the top prospects seemed to come down with career ending injuries and the few that stayed healthy could never take that step forward. Since Krivsky was hired our top prospects have maintained their health (knock on wood) and have progressed throughout the upper levels.

Aside from the Kearns/Lopez trade (and that trade still has a chance to improve from a Reds standpoint, if Bray stays healthy and lives up to his potential, not to mention Daryl Thompson has looked strong so far this spring), and letting Juan Castro hang around, I think Krivsky has did a very solid job. I don't think anyone can argue that the man can negotiate contracts - the Arroyo/Harang/Phillips extensions are steals for the Reds compared to what other players at their positions are getting.

One other thing that I love about Krivsky is his understanding of the importance of the Dominican Republic and International signings in general. The signing of Juan Duran shows the Reds are serious about being big players in the DR...and it's not just the Dominican Republic, in the last year the Reds have signed players from the Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Panama, Taiwan, Australia, Venezuela, Italy, Germany, and the Netherlands, plus a few drafts picks from Canada. That's impressive.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I look at Krivsky's tenure from an accounting perspective. For every asset he's obtained, he's also subsequently obtained a liability. Maybe the asset vs liability isn't always in a timely fashion, but it seems that for every positive, "righting the ship" move, he makes one that leaves us scratching our heads.

Code:
    Asset(s)			Liabilities
    Arroyo				The Trade
    Phillips			drafting Stubbs
    Hamilton		        drafting Mesoraco
    Volquez				Stanton still on the roster
    Harang's extension		Castro still on the roster
    the return for Conine		not extending Dunn (yet)
    the return for Lohse		handling Bailey incorrectly
    Hatteberg			not obtaining Haren or Bedard
    Keppinger
    My biggest "concern" with Krivsky has been his ability to completely waste or punt 1st round draft picks. An organization can't afford to miss as badly as the Reds have in the 1st round in consecutive years with Stubbs and Mesoraco. My second biggest "concern" would be his handling of the youngsters. He's rushed Bailey (but perhaps he was forced to by Bob, last year), and he's held onto the kids when it seems that he could have moved some of them for the TOR pitching the Reds desperately need. If the Reds have such a deep, stocked farm, as advertised by some of the industry publications, then I'm left scratching my head how and why Krivsky hasn't used our questionable strength to address our glaring weaknesses.

I just wish Krivsky would pick a direction with the Reds and damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead. If we're really in a "win now" mode, it clearly isn't reflected on the 25 man roster. Bottomline, to win now, we need better players than we have in our organization, and hoping that the kids are the answer isn't the way to "win now".

It's hard to know to know much without being on the inside. But from the point of view of building tha talent base, he's been very good, and I have to think that's job #1.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

So we've already detereminded Devin Mesoraco to be a bust or wasted pick after only 156 professional plate appearances? Wow.

And you mention his failure to trade the youngsters for Bedard or Haren as a liability. I consider it a positive that he didn't deal Jay Bruce and others or a package of Johnny Cueto, Joey Votto, and Homer Bailey for Bedard/Haren.

Turn Off Ads?