Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tatum and Thompson to AA and Adkins reassigned to minor league camp

Tatum and Thompson to AA and Adkins reassigned to minor league camp

From Fay:

The Reds made three more cuts: Catcher Craig Tatum and right-hander Daryl Thompson were optioned to Double-A Chattanooga and right-hander Jon Adkins was re-assigned to the minor league camp.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tatum and Thompson to AA and Adkins reassigned to minor league camp

Thompson has to be pleased with himself after the way he threw the ball in ST. He faced seven batters this spring and retired all seven with four of them via the strikeout. I know it's only ST but that had to open the eyes of some people in the organization.

Thompson may be in AAA by seasons end, and could be a Cueto type by next spring, knocking down the door to the big league rotation.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Roster glue

I'm definitely glad to see Thompson do well in his limited work this spring. If he can show increased durability, continue to build up shoulder strength and fully recover from his labrum surgery, he has a good chance to add to the young, cheap pitching depth the Reds have accrued recently.

He's a really nice kid and I hope he can stay healthy and effective all summer in his jump to AA.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Thompson may be in AAA by seasons end, and could be a Cueto type by next spring, knocking down the door to the big league rotation.
    I like him because he's allegedly really instinctive, but suspect that he's more of an Arroyo type. It takes finesse righties a while to have major league success, if it ever happens at all.

he's been compared to Oil Can Boyd, one of my all-time faves.

I like him because he's allegedly really instinctive, but suspect that he's more of an Arroyo type. It takes finesse righties a while to have major league success, if it ever happens at all.

he's been compared to Oil Can Boyd, one of my all-time faves.
    He'll be 22 all year -- young for AA. He might have a future in the pen if he doesn't excel as a starter in the minors.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Ya can't teach speed... Triples's Avatar

Just an FYI, just because Tatum and Thompson were reassigned to Chatt, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll end up there once the real season begins. They just have to be on a roster someplace and may end up playing in a lot of the AAA spring training games yet this year. Heck, they could be assigned to Billings for the time being just until the get done shuffling all the players around.
    Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. Not all holes, or games, are created equal. ~George Will

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Which is why we shouldn't close the door on "the trade" as a bad thing for the Reds.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Thompson was impressive but he makes me think on things a bit here. Have the Reds begun turning that developmental corner? I mean, I can't remember when there were so many kids that looked so impressive - from last summer into winter leagues and ST. Have all the changes made in the minor league system brought in coaches who can actually teach and develop these guys?

That to me is the key to the Reds being consistently successful from here out. Becoming an organization known for turning out players from its system. I know we're a year or two and a few players making the grade from really answering that but I like what I've been seeing the past couple years. There seems to be an upward trend - more guys coming on than fizzling out.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 03-16-2008 at 10:47 AM.

Turn Off Ads?