Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer should start the year in AAA

Homer should start the year in AAA

This is a very painful admission for me. Homer Bailey simply has not pitched well enough to make the rotation, or the roster. I believed Homer was simply injured last summer, and his good performance in September seemed to bear this out. Here are his numbers in spring training: 0-2, 8.44 ERA, 4 games , 4 starts, 10 2/3 IP, 19 hits, 10 runs, 10 earned, 1 hr, 8 walks, and 9 strikeouts. He still has half a month to improve things, but I would have to think Fogg should be our #5 over Bailey at this time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer should start the year in AAA

He is only 21 dont give up on David just yet.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

got alil captain in u?

agreed he should start the year in AAA. He needs to continue to work on the command of his pitches and get some more seasoning. He needs to work on using all of his piches and throwing them all for strikes.

Well he has faced the best of the best

Yankees once and the Red Sox twice

still he might need time in AAA

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I don't know what it has to be a "painful" admission. With Cueto having a great spring and Volquez pitching well, we don't need Bailey just yet. I would love to see the Reds to go into the season with a rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Cueto and Volquez. If Belisle pitches into June as he is now, then you can start rushing Bailey, but we don't need him right now.

As has been said numerous times this off-season, the difference between this team and every other team for the past decade, is that the 2008 Reds will have pitching depth. We don't need every little break to have a league-average staff. No need to fret about Homer not getting all of his pitches over as a 21 in major league camp, he has plenty of time.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I dont think too many are ready to give up on him but as far as sending him to louisville for while, that is another matter.
    I was really hoping Homer would step up but right now, it just isnt happening.
    With Cueto's emergence as well as Volquez, it at least takes a little pressure off the reds on rushing Homer.

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    I dont think too many are ready to give up on him but as far as sending him to louisville for while, that is another matter.
    I was really hoping Homer would step up but right now, it just isnt happening.
    With Cueto's emergence as well as Volquez, it at least takes a little pressure off the reds on rushing Homer.
    Right on, relegating a 21-year old starter oozing with potential to AAA for more seasoning isn't the same as throwing him onto the trash heap.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Well he has faced the best of the best

Yankees once and the Red Sox twice

still he might need time in AAA
    I cant remember the first time he faced the Sox but these last 2 starts have been against the A lineups.

Something ain't right he will be in triple A but it is not the last we will see/hear of him he is too young to judge.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I don't know what it has to be a "painful" admission. With Cueto having a great spring and Volquez pitching well, we don't need Bailey just yet. I would love to see the Reds to go into the season with a rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Cueto and Volquez. If Belisle pitches into June as he is now, then you can start rushing Bailey, but we don't need him right now.

As has been said numerous times this off-season, the difference between this team and every other team for the past decade, is that the 2008 Reds will have pitching depth. We don't need every little break to have a league-average staff. No need to fret about Homer not getting all of his pitches over as a 21 in major league camp, he has plenty of time.
    x2. Good post.

You really can't use the "he pitched against good teams" arguement. Every game is being played against ML teams. During the regular season, if we lose 10 straight but they are to the Phils, Met and Cubs nobody is going to say, "Well, those are good teams - we expect to lose". Regardless of who Homer is pitching against they were going to hit him, he's not ready. I think he has great days ahead of him, but he's not there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I am not giving up on him , but I think he needs to start out in AAA to start the season. He needs to build up his arm strength and learn to pitch more innings, and I think he needs to work on command of his pitches. He is only 21, and I expect to see him in the future, but for now he should be in Louisville.

I agree with most of the posters, that he needs to go to Louisville. Hopefully he can dominate there, and get his confidence back. Since his first game vs. the Indians, he just hasn't had the right game. He doesn't seem like the cocky kid, but more the kid who doesn't trust his offspeed stuff.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by Va Red Fan View Post
    You really can't use the "he pitched against good teams" arguement. Every game is being played against ML teams. During the regular season, if we lose 10 straight but they are to the Phils, Met and Cubs nobody is going to say, "Well, those are good teams - we expect to lose". Regardless of who Homer is pitching against they were going to hit him, he's not ready. I think he has great days ahead of him, but he's not there yet.
    Right on Va Red fan. It's simple, when push comes to shove, getting beat around by the Yankees is still getting beat around. Let the man regain his fire in AAA and bring him up when he's ready.

According to the sports section of the Dayton Daily News on Sunday, one Reds official is quoted anonymously as saying Homer needs to go to AAA to work on a variety of things, and his ATTITUDE.

Sounds like the kid thinks he's already a stud.

Enjoy pitching at triple AAA Homer while Cueto surpasses you and Volquez does too, as the Reds #1 and #2 pitching prospects. How you like them apples, Mr. Attitude?

Turn Off Ads?