Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brad Salmon Appreciation Thread

Brad Salmon Appreciation Thread

Here is my attempt to build a groundswell to have Salmon on the roster, in the bullpen, and even earn consideration of putting him in a set-up role.

2007 stats: 0-1, 4.13 ERA, 26 games, 24 IP, 22 hits, 10 walks, 22 strikeouts.

Conclusion: He pitched well with runners on base, didn't allow as many hits as IP, and had a 2-1 K to walk ratio. That's someone I want in the bullpen.

Spring training so far: 4 games, 0.00 ERA, 5 IP, 3 hits, 3 walks, and 8 strikeouts.

Conclusion: There is no way he should be in AAA to start the season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brad Salmon Appreciation Thread

agree
    he is better than coutlangus, coffey, majewski, stanton(obviously) and bray

Magic is more exciting than Salmon, especially if its Coffee mixed with Magic. That would make it even better to watch. Salmon is just so bland and boring.

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    agree
    he is better than coutlangus, coffey, majewski, stanton(obviously) and bray
    Better than Coutlangus? No.
    Coffey of last year? Yes.
    Coffey of 2006? No.
    Majewski? Yeah, that guy's finished.
    Stanton? YES. GET THAT MAN OUT OF HERE.

I really like Salmon and think that he deserves a shot at making the team, but there is no way in hell Dusty will allow it. Just like Roenickie won't make the team.
    Last edited by Joseph; 03-17-2008 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Profanity

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I really like the type of game Salmon pitches. I like the flamethrower out of the 'pen. However, the small sample size story goes both ways. Sure, I've been encouraged by his 5 spring training innings, but at the end of the day, that doesn't tell you anything. If he continues to pitch well for the rest of spring and keeps up his K/BB, I say give him a chance. If not, he still has time to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    Magic is more exciting than Salmon, especially if .
    1. you have your son's scout troop is in the outfieldand you really don't want to have to buy them mlb balls
    2. you bet the over on the o/u score for the day
    3. love seeing the infield/outfied have to work their but off
    (didn't you just love that great ss play on a hard hit 3-2
    line drive to get gary out of a jam and double up last week)

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    Salmon is just so bland and boring.
    Translation
    when he is hitting his spots I'm afraid to try to between innings I might miss the whole side

where is the excitement in seeing a guy embarrassed at home plate of all places

Senor Votto

I like Salmon but I really don't see him making the Major League roster just yet. Unfortunately Stanton and Majewski will make the team before him just because Wayne doesn't want to admit to a few mistakes.

Also IMO Bray is better than Salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I really like the type of game Salmon pitches. ..However, the small sample size story goes both ways. Sure, I've been encouraged by his 5 spring training innings, but at the end of the day, that doesn't tell you anything.
    Maj has had I think 51 appearance since the trade. His ERA is 8.30 over 2 seasons. He did not have any sort of surgery to fix whatever ailed him. I sincerely doubt that he will ever return to the numbers he posted outside of Cincy

The ST line is a short one both with the big club last year and in ST this year. But, it is a very very close sample size.

2008 ST both pitching 5 innings
    one has 8K's the other 2
    one has era 0.00 the other 14.40
    one has given up 3 hits the other 10

appearances in 2007
    one had 26 era 4.13
    the other 32 era 8.22

personally, I would take one over the other

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I like Salmon but I really don't see him making the Major League roster just yet. Unfortunately Stanton and Majewski will make the team before him just because Wayne doesn't want to admit to a few mistakes.

Also IMO Bray is better than Salmon.
    I agree Stanton will make the roster over more deserving players because of his contract, but I really think Majewski will start in AAA.

It is a small sample size with Brad Salmon, but he pitched better than Bray last year. I think injuries played a part with Bray last year. You could be right and Bray will turn out to be better than Salmon this year, but right now (IMO) Salmon is a better pitcher.
    The only reason Salmon should not make the bullpen this year is if there are 7 or 8 better relievers, but quite frankly I don't see it.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeIndicator View Post
    Maj has had I think 51 appearance since the trade. His ERA is 8.30 over 2 seasons. He did not have any sort of surgery to fix whatever ailed him. I sincerely doubt that he will ever return to the numbers he posted outside of Cincy

The ST line is a short one both with the big club last year and in ST this year. But, it is a very very close sample size.

2008 ST both pitching 5 innings
    one has 8K's the other 2
    one has era 0.00 the other 14.40
    one has given up 3 hits the other 10

appearances in 2007
    one had 26 era 4.13
    the other 32 era 8.22

personally, I would take one over the other

You know what Amarillo, if this competition was in a vaccuum between the two of them, I would hope that Dusty/Wayne wouldn't even think about it. However, Salmon has a lot more and better competition than the Majic man.

Cout > Bray > Salmon >>>>>>>>>> Majewski > a rock > Stanton

I will be the first to say that Salmon did not look his best today. Still a lot of spring training left though.

He's still been pretty solid, though.

He have to be his best because Bray appears to be on the way back. With him, though, you can never tell if he's gonna pull up lame. Cout has also seemed pretty solid, too.

Also, Coffey may have some caffeine this season. 5 IP, one hit and two walks. Not bad - he needs to keep it up.

Majewski?:thumbdown
    Last edited by JBChance; 03-17-2008 at 12:30 AM.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

I just like the fact that we're debating which guys should make the bullpen roster. Haven't seen that in awhile.

Senor Votto

I guess this thread jinxed Brad or something. It's a shame he's gone

Turn Off Ads?