Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You're the MLB Commish for a Day - What do you change?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

You're the MLB Commish for a Day - What do you change?

So I've booted out Bud Selig for the day, and installed you as the Commissioner. You've got one day to overhaul the sport you love.

What do you do? Or do you not change a thing?

Here's my laundry list

If I were Commish for a day - I'd make the NL teams institute the DH rule, the mound would get hiked up and football like pads would be completely eliminated from baseball.

Here's my explanation.

Every level of baseball has the DH rule - from little league on up, except for the National League. Fans come out to the ballpark to watch the best take on the best, and watching Aaron Harang swinging the lumber doesn't come anything close to that. I firmly believe that given the choice, baseball fans would rather see guys like David Ortiz, Travis Hafner, Ken Griffey & Jim Thome spray balls all over the yard long past when they are useful with a glove than watch pitchers do their blindfolded swinging at a pinata routine five times a night.

The padding rule & hiked up mound gives the edge back to the pitchers, while the DH rule swings the balance back just a hair.

Any thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: You're the MLB Commish for a Day - What do you change?

1) Institute world-wide draft

2) Institute a salary cap

3) Abolish the DH
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

while the DH rule swings the balance back just a hair
    Just one thought on this. The DH rule protects a pitcher in an unexpected way also. It allows a pitcher to not have to worry about retaliation against himself when he next comes to the plate.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

1) No pitcher ever bats in the All-Star game again(DH belongs in the All-star game)
    2) Draft Day, trades can be made using MLB players to get those draft picks
    3) Reinstate Pete Rose (If Steroid Cheaters can change the outcome of a game and get away with it, Pete did his betting after he was done being a player and his stats werent Roids enhanced!!and deserves a 2nd chance as he paid his dues)
    4) sell stock on wall market for fans to purchase that helps every team be competitive, so a salary cap is allowed!
    5) Cincinnati gets back the tradition of playing the first game of each season (1st team ever deserves this)
    6) Hall of Fame changes to allow 2 players voted in by the most ballots each year (no more ridiculous 75% of the ballot to let some players get 1 vote or 2 that never deserved it keep somebody out deserving)
    7) increase the All-Star roster by 5, to include a player about to retire from each league that has a long history and allow the fans to vote 3 of the 4 additional remaining spots
    8) cut down spring training games by 10 and include 2 Double Headers during the season to keep the World Series from ending late October into early November.
    9) ALL Post season games will not start past 7:30 pm as well as not have any NL and AL playoff games start at the same time!!
    10) Ask for Replay for every post season game to keep any bad call from costing a team a championship (foul ball, Safe on a close play at a base and if its a homerun or not)

end interleague play and mandate a salary structure.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    end interleague play and mandate a salary structure.
    Dido.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    1) Institute world-wide draft

2) Institute a salary cap

3) Abolish the DH
    Bingo.

I'd be pretty radical and eliminate the AL and NL completely. I'd realign geographically (as best you can) to 6 divisions of 5 teams each. Each team would play the other 4 teams in its own division 20 times (80 Games) and on a rotating basis each team in 2 other divisions 8 times (another 80 games) for a 160 game schedule. All series would be 4 game series to limit travel and reduce the "missed the best pitcher" element of the schedule a bit. The top two teams in each division would make the playoffs (12 teams total) with the 4 best records skipping directly to the second round.

A possible alignment:

Code:
    North East		Great Lakes		Southeast		NorthWest		SouthWest		MidWest
    New York Yankees	Detroit Tigers		Florida Marlins		Seattle Mariners	LA Angels		Chicago Cubs
    Boston Red Sox		Toronto Blue Jays	Tampa Bay Rays		Colorado Rockies	LA Dodgers		Chicago White Sox
    New York Mets		Cleveland Indians	Atlanta Braves		Oakland A's		SD Padres		St Louis Cardinals
    Philadelphia Phillies	Minnesota Twins		Houston Astros		SF Giants		AZ Diamondbacks		Pittsburgh Pirates
    Baltimore Orioles	Milwaukee Brewers	Washington Nationals	Kansas City Royals	Texas Rangers		Cincinnati Reds
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'd be pretty radical and eliminate the AL and NL completely. I'd realign geographically (as best you can) to 6 divisions of 5 teams each. Each team would play the other 4 teams in its own division 20 times (80 Games) and on a rotating basis each team in 2 other divisions 8 times (another 80 games) for a 160 game schedule. All series would be 4 game series to limit travel and reduce the "missed the best pitcher" element of the schedule a bit. The top two teams in each division would make the playoffs (12 teams total) with the 4 best records skipping directly to the second round.

A possible alignment:

Code:
    North East		Great Lakes		Southeast		NorthWest		SouthWest		MidWest
    New York Yankees	Detroit Tigers		Florida Marlins		Seattle Mariners	LA Angels		Chicago Cubs
    Boston Red Sox		Toronto Blue Jays	Tampa Bay Rays		Colorado Rockies	LA Dodgers		Chicago White Sox
    New York Mets		Cleveland Indians	Atlanta Braves		Oakland A's		SD Padres		St Louis Cardinals
    Philadelphia Phillies	Minnesota Twins		Houston Astros		SF Giants		AZ Diamondbacks		Pittsburgh Pirates
    Baltimore Orioles	Milwaukee Brewers	Washington Nationals	Kansas City Royals	Texas Rangers		Cincinnati Reds
    Interesting. I had similar thoughts about realignment. I think interleague play is...well...played.

1. Get rid of the idiotic blackout rules. Allow people in any region to watch any team they want via cable, dish or internet package.

2. I echo trading for draft picks and salary cap.

3. Change the rule that makes a pitcher throw four wide ones for an intentional walk. Just say "walk the guy" and get on to the next batter.

4. Trade Tim McCarver to the WNBA for a pack of Starburst tropical.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

No more MLB games (incl. Spring Training games) in Asia (esp. China) or Europe. Not fair to the players and teams who have to adjust to time differentials when they get there or when they come back. I see no purpose in it other than an attempt to sell more MLB merchandise. The owners get richer while the players suffer for it. Some players are trying to make ML rosters and do not need that obstacle in their attempt. The add'l revenue from merchandise does not amount to squat compared to advertising and TV contracts.

Do not be fooled by the oft heard phrase, "We are trying to make it a worldwide game." They are trying to add a small chunk of change to their already full pockets. Just like the idea of advertising the Spiderman movie by putting logos on the bases during games. The rich getting richer while selling out the game.

So much for a commissioner who does the right thing for the game. Hence, the reason Bud has been there for so long. It is about making more-and-more-and-more money for owners. The game be damned when there is more money to be made.

Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Teams play each other no more than 12 times per regular season.

In interleague play, rivalries (Reds-Indians, Yanks-Mets, etc.) play only one series -- except can play two series in years when their divisions play each other as part of regular rotation.

Cut back to 154 game schedule, with regular season ending ten days earlier than now. 8 fewer games, ten fewer days. Overall season ends too late in the year, currently.

All playoff series best 4 of 7.

Enforce a rule requiring pitcher to pitch within x seconds (25?) after getting return throw from catcher. Pitchers have to work faster to speed up games, which are too long.

New ballparks shouldn't be band boxes, nor should they be cavernous. Ball parks should have different features but dimensions shouldn't vary as much as they currently do.

Would try to get mid-market teams more national tv exposure.

And would continue to take steps to enhance competitive balance.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-16-2008 at 06:35 PM.

I would appoint Raisor as my assistant and then he'd take over the next day.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

1. Draft picks may be traded, limited to the current and subsequent draft
    2. No player can be signed unless he's drafted and cannot be signed until he's age 18
    3. Realignment to 4 divisions in each league with 4 teams in each (expansion!)
    4. No more wild-card -- win your division
    5. Elimination of interleague Play, except for a permanent cross league rival.
    6. Luxury tax of 100% for every dollar spent over the soft cap -- soft cap defined based roughly off 200% of the average salary
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

1. Salary cap of 130 million dollars starting in 2010 (if you go over, for every 5 million over you lose 1 40 man roster spot).
    2. Salary floor of 60 million dollars starting in 2010 (for every 5 million you are under, you lose 1 40 man roster spot).
    3. Balanced schedules.
    4. Balanced leagues and divisions (same number of teams in each league and division).
    5. Slot drafting. You sign for slot or you don't sign. No more paying 10th round picks first round money.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I would appoint Raisor as my assistant and then he'd take over the next day.
    Darn straight!
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Turn Off Ads?