Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Chief

The Chief

I am watching game 2 of the 1975 World Series. In the second inning, Cesar Geronimo prevented Darryl Evans from going from first to third on a 200-hopper to center by Rick Burleson because he could afford to play so shallow. Within the next two to three pitches, he backed up an errant pickoff attempt by JB when he picked up the throw no more than 15 feet behind second base and stared the runner down. Minutes later, Evans (already held hostage at second base by the centerfielder twice) gets thrown out at third when Hall of Fame catcher Johnny Bench picks him off.

The Reds won that game by a run, with a rally in the ninth inning. There wouldn't have even been a game seven if the Reds had lost game two.

The Chief was a GREAT defensive outfielder. I don't know that he doesn't belong in the Reds Hall of Fame considering his profound contribution to the success of this franchise in the modern era.
    Last edited by Phhhl; 03-16-2008 at 03:16 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Chief

I know there is quite a bit of controversy about the Gold Glove and its meaning, but Geronimo did win four of them during a time when the GG seemed to be awarded more for defensive merits.
    I've been a fan of the guy's for a long time, and without him, the Big Red Machine would not have been complete.

Loved Cesar and he was with out a doubt the guy who is way over looked in those brilliant years.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    I am watching game 2 of the 1975 World Series. In the second inning, Cesar Geronimo prevented Darryl Evans from going from first to third on a 200-hopper to center by Rick Burleson because he could afford to play so shallow. Within the next two to three pitches, he backed up an errant pickoff attempt by JB when he picked up the throw no more than 15 feet behind second base and stared the runner down. Minutes later, Evans (already held hostage at second base by the centerfielder twice) gets thrown out at third when Hall of Fame catcher Johnny Bench picks him off.

The Reds won that game by a run, with a rally in the ninth inning. There wouldn't have even been a game seven if the Reds had lost game two.

The Chief was a GREAT defensive outfielder. I don't know that he doesn't belong in the Reds Hall of Fame considering his profound contribution to the success of this franchise in the modern era.
    I got to meet Caesar this past winter at Redsfest and got his autograph. A quiet, humble man.

I'm pretty sure it was in Game 2 also (I got the DVD set).... but did you happen to notice the Foster steal attempt of 2B with KG Sr at the plate? Foster was not known for his speed, and I think he only had something like two steal attempts all season, and got thrown out on those. Anyway - He got nailed, and then Sr singled to RF.

I thought to myself - "Man, today's gamethread participants would have been all over that one if we had lost that game!"
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?