Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: If Corey Patterson is the OD starting centerfielder-It will be a crying shame!

Re: If Corey Patterson is the OD starting centerfielder-It will be a crying shame!

Quote Originally Posted by Va Red Fan View Post
    Second, just because Dusty doesn't place the same emphasis on OBP than some of the fans does not make him a dope.

Um it does a little bit.

I think it would be great for us if we took a deep breath, sat back in our easy chair, thanked God that a real sport is getting ready to begin again and watch our beloved Reds.
    Yes I agree totally with this one.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If Corey Patterson is the OD starting centerfielder-It will be a crying shame!

Sorry to enter this thread so late, I've been busy attending ST games I must say, I have witnessed lackadaisical defense from Patterson in CF that caused the Reds runs, a meandering charge of a single to CF, that allowed Phils 3B coach to change a hold sign to the runner, into a go. I witnessed him mis-judge a FB that prevented him a good throwing position and a rather weak throw to the plate. If Bruce had been playing CF, they wouldn't even have thought about sending the runner. I have seen 2 other occasions that indicate MLB has already learned of Bruce's howitzer arm. I also saw Bruce against the Sox, get to a certain 2 bagger in the R-C gap and make a play of it at 2nd. In what I have seen, I'd rather see him defensively in CF than Patterson.

If Patterson was slotted in the 7th or 8th slot in the lineup, I'd be fine with him starting. Solid defense, speed, has decent power. In fact, I could see a boost in his numbers similar to what AGon did last year due to playing at GABP. His OBP would probably still be dreadful, but he could easily hit 20-25 HR in that park. Problem is, Dusty will continue to miscast him in the leadoff spot. The guy has always been a free swinger and always will be.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    Sorry to enter this thread so late, I've been busy attending ST games I must say, I have witnessed lackadaisical defense from Patterson in CF that caused the Reds runs, a meandering charge of a single to CF, that allowed Phils 3B coach to change a hold sign to the runner, into a go. I witnessed him mis-judge a FB that prevented him a good throwing position and a rather weak throw to the plate. If Bruce had been playing CF, they wouldn't even have thought about sending the runner. I have seen 2 other occasions that indicate MLB has already learned of Bruce's howitzer arm. I also saw Bruce against the Sox, get to a certain 2 bagger in the R-C gap and make a play of it at 2nd. In what I have seen, I'd rather see him defensively in CF than Patterson.
    It does not matter one single bit.

Dusty - F'ckn - Baker made up his mind that Corey F. Patterson would be the Reds' CF the day he was signed.

WHAT CAN PATTERSON DO THAT HOPPER CAN'T?

Steal 40 bases? What else?

Quote Originally Posted by NDReds9 View Post

Dusty - F'ckn - Baker made up his mind that Corey F. Patterson would be the Reds' CF the day he was signed.

You are most likely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by NDReds9 View Post

Hit from the left side of the plate ?

Hit a HR every now and then (more than once a season)?

Have a SLG higher than his OBP?

Look, I'm no fan of Patterson - based on his previous history - but I'm DEFINITELY not more of a fan of Hopper because of it. In fact, it might make me hate him more than I already did, because he'll likely be the RH complement to Patterson.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Having Bruce in the starting lineup isn't going to make or break the Reds so why complain about it?

Why did we trade Hamilton again? I just don't get. Wayne (Special) K is at it again.

got alil captain in u?

I don't know why everyone has so much hate for corey patterson. He's a proven major leaguer . I'll agree with most of you he's not that great with the stick at times. He has some pop and can steal a few bases when he gets on. I think the reds are playing him in center more for his defense than his offense. They need a speedy guy who can cover the gaps with the two defensive liabilties in left and right. We've got enough offense from guys like jr., dunn, phillips, edwin and the combo of votto and hatte. it's not like were asking him to hit 30 hrs and drive in 100. He'll do fine until Bruce is ready to come back up and take over the spot.I am not one bit worried about him starting in CF

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    I don't know why everyone has so much hate for corey patterson. He's a proven major leaguer . I'll agree with most of you he's not that great with the stick at times. He has some pop and can steal a few bases when he gets on. I think the reds are playing him in center more for his defense than his offense. They need a speedy guy who can cover the gaps with the two defensive liabilties in left and right. We've got enough offense from guys like jr., dunn, phillips, edwin and the combo of votto and hatte. it's not like were asking him to hit 30 hrs and drive in 100. He'll do fine until Bruce is ready to come back up and take over the spot.I am not one bit worried about him starting in CF
    Problem is - some people will argue - is that it will be AT LEAST until June until Bruce is brought up.

I think Patterson has NOTHING to do with whether or not Jay Bruce comes back up at this point. Trading a Hopper/Freel and/or a Dunn or Griff injury/trade will have to happen before they consider that.

Patterson will have to hit under .200 before they'll bring Bruce up from AAA, all else being equal.

They are doing this PRIMARILY to avoid Super 2 status for him in Arbitration. He would have had to hit better than Patterson in ST to win the job. He didn't.

I would argue he'll NEVER play a game in CF this year, and will only be brought up to play RF if and when he's brought up this year.

In 2009, he'll be the opening day RF-er. I wouldn't bet against him NOT seeing time with the Big Club before September barring one of the things I mentioned above.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    Nobody hates Corey Patterson that I know of. I hate that the manager thinks he's worthy of starting in CF and leading off. I wouldn't hate it if he was a reserve OF who pinch hit and came in late for defense.

You are absolutely 100% correct when you say he's a proven major leaguer. Everybody can look at his stats and watch him play and see what he can/can't do. Apparently having horrible on-base skills gets you a job leading off for this team, that would be the issue here
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    Nobody hates Corey Patterson that I know of. I hate that the manager thinks he's worthy of starting in CF and leading off. I wouldn't hate it if he was a reserve OF who pinch hit and came in late for defense.

You are absolutely 100% correct when you say he's a proven major leaguer. Everybody can look at his stats and watch him play and see what he can/can't do. Apparently having horrible on-base skills gets you a job leading off for this team, that would be the issue here
    As I stated earlier, I was in attendance to 3 games, and saw, in person, this supposed starting CF absolutely dog it and cost at least 2 runs. Griffey coulda' done as much, and that isn't saying much, other than Patterson isn't any answer. Freel or Hopper, let alone Bruce would have done so much better.

Not really sure which games gedre69 saw, but I was down in Sarasota for over a week and saw Patterson play around a half a dozen games in center. He was a little shaky in the first one, but that was his first game in months. I can assure you that he never was "dogging it". I saw him make many plays and get to many balls that no other Reds outfielder could get to. On the days that Freel or Hopper were in center, you could tell the difference. With Dunn in left, Patterson's range will be a real benefit.

I also saw Patterson really show a new approach to hitting for him. He was bunting the ball, hitting it the other way, and taking a lot of pitches. One game I was sitting next to two Cubs fans who couldn't stop talking about how they wished Patterson had the approach he was showing now, back when he was with the Cubs.

I was not too happy to hear the Reds sign him, but after seeing him play, I think he could surprise a lot of fans.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Not really sure which games gedre69 saw, but I was down in Sarasota for over a week and saw Patterson play around a half a dozen games in center. He was a little shaky in the first one, but that was his first game in months. I can assure you that he never was "dogging it". I saw him make many plays and get to many balls that no other Reds outfielder could get to. On the days that Freel or Hopper were in center, you could tell the difference. With Dunn in left, Patterson's range will be a real benefit.

I also saw Patterson really show a new approach to hitting for him. He was bunting the ball, hitting it the other way, and taking a lot of pitches. One game I was sitting next to two Cubs fans who couldn't stop talking about how they wished Patterson had the approach he was showing now, back when he was with the Cubs.

I was not too happy to hear the Reds sign him, but after seeing him play, I think he could surprise a lot of fans.
    Well, it's great to hear from someone who actually saw happenings even if we disagree. I attended games from the 14th through the 20th, Yanks at Sarasota, Bosox in Ft. Myers, And Phils in Sarasota. Patterson played in those games like a guy who knew he had the job, and dogged it, period. In short, he sucked, and ho-hum Griffey woulda' done better, IMO. Charge a single to CF, don't wait until it gets to you, and get in position on a fly ball so you can make a good throw to the plate. (Otherwise, his arm has to be serious suspect).

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Meat View Post
    Why did we trade Hamilton again? I just don't get. Wayne (Special) K is at it again.
    I'm not complaining about the Hamilton trade. So far Volquez has been absolutely electric on the hill, and I'm looking forward to seeing him pitch in the rotation. I, for one, am glad that Krivsky made that trade. It's part of the reason that the Reds rotation looks better than it has in the past decade. Pitching is what's going to win ballgames for this team, not more offense.
    Last edited by JWP; 03-22-2008 at 01:12 AM.

Turn Off Ads?