Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If Corey Patterson is the OD starting centerfielder-It will be a crying shame!

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

If Corey Patterson is the OD starting centerfielder-It will be a crying shame!

Just heard Ken Broo on WLW just announce what probably will be the starting opening lineup--he had Patterson in CF over Bruce...that is nothing less of a crying shame and in my opinion, an obvious sign of of Dusty's preference of veterans (some unproven) over young talent. I will be pumped nonetheless about being there on Opening Day, but will be disappointed if this is the way the OF turns out. We dumped Josh Hamilton so Bruce can take the spot--now lets make it happen! Sorry that I dont have any indepth numbers I crunched to prove my point-just a gut feeling I have.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If Corey Patterson is the OD starting centerfielder-It will be a crying shame!

Let me grab some tissues for you m8 because i just don't trust dusty to put bruce in.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Re: If Corey Patterson is the OD starting centerfielder-It will be a crying shame!

thank you, bubba..bless you

There are two very good reason why Bruce will start the season in AAA.
    1. He has played 66 total games above single A, and it would be best for his development to start in AAAn then come up a month or two into the season. It takes a truck load o pressure off of him. Being the opening day cf and leadoff hitter is an extremely high pressure situation for a 20 year old. Remember last year, it took aawhile for Hamilton to crack the lineup.

2. Starting him in AAA delays his free agent clock. A month or two of Patterson/hopper in cf is worth keeping Bruce for another year.

In case you haven't noticed, Patterson has been burning it up since he started playing spring training games. I don't by any means think that he can bat this well during the season, but he is proving that he can get on base, which is something we've been lacking in a leadoff hitter in the past few years. He's also a guy that could possibly steal 30-50 bases. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Bruce, i'm just stating my opinion that having Patterson in CF to start the year isn't the worst thing that could happen to this team.... Having Majewski on the opening day roster would probably be, but that's a whole nother thread

Valid points, 757690--but I am sick of hearing about the clock--if a player is ready, play him now!

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    There are two very good reason why Bruce will start the season in AAA.
    1. He has played 66 total games above single A, and it would be best for his development to start in AAAn then come up a month or two into the season. It takes a truck load o pressure off of him. Being the opening day cf and leadoff hitter is an extremely high pressure situation for a 20 year old. Remember last year, it took aawhile for Hamilton to crack the lineup.

2. Starting him in AAA delays his free agent clock. A month or two of Patterson/hopper in cf is worth keeping Bruce for another year.
    Plus as some have said, Bruce hasnt exactly tore the cover off the ball this ST.
    He is only hitting 270 right now so let's not put too much pressure on him too soon.

Listen, Bruce will be in the minors for about two months. It's a money thing, not an experience thing, even if that's what the Reds say. If he stays down for a couple years, that makes it so he won't be declared as a "super two" making him eligible for arbitration in 2 years.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Patterson was brought aboard to play center until Bruce is ready to go, that was obvious. He's still a very young guy, with very little Big League experience. When he's ready, he'll be out there patrolling center for a very long time...there's no need to rush him up.

I don't think that Patterson will be starting in CF beyond the 1st of June. Nonetheless, I think Patterson is a pretty valuable player coming off the bench to be used as a pinch hitter or a pinch runner. The Reds have been really lackluster in the stolen base department over the past couple of years, and I fully expect Patterson to help in the area.

Patterson in CF is not a bad thing and if it happens it is not necessarily Dusty playing a vet over a rookie. It could well be a very in tune manager making sure his "wonderboy" doesn't burst before he gets his legit chance. Dust has been here and knows the ropes. I think he will handle Bruce and Bailey correctly and really doesn't need our input. Plus, Patterson is not a bad option. He can do all that is needed.

Already another thread on this, started by me, but the point remains.

Patterson will be the starting CF-er, and hit lead-off. Get used to it.

Takes longer for some, but "Resistance is Futile".

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    Valid points, 757690--but I am sick of hearing about the clock--if a player is ready, play him now!
    What makes it a slam dunk case that he is "ready". Limited ABs above A. So-so spring. Why jet him up to the bigs if he could use a little seasoning. If you can show that he is ready beyond a doubt...I have no debate with you.

Sign me up for an additional season of Jay Bruce as he enters his prime as opposed to two months on the front end of his ML career where he likely wouldn't be putting the Reds over the top.

I think we all need to take a step back for awhile. The Reds will be a great team in two-three years, if they keep everybody together. If we can keep Bruce long enough so that we have a contending team for years to come, I don't care if it means seeing less of him this year.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?