Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: If Corey Patterson is the OD starting centerfielder-It will be a crying shame!

Re: If Corey Patterson is the OD starting centerfielder-It will be a crying shame!

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Already another thread on this, started by me, but the point remains.

Patterson will be the starting CF-er, and hit lead-off. Get used to it.

Takes longer for some, but "Resistance is Futile".

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I will continue to resist, until and unless he makes the 25 man roster. After that, Hopper/ Freel/Bruce has an equal chance to start in center field He has hit better in spring training than I expected, however. For the record, Bruce is still in camp and has an equal chance to be the Opening Day center fielder.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If Corey Patterson is the OD starting centerfielder-It will be a crying shame!

Corey Patterson isn't that bad! The only bad thing about this situation is that We will not see Bruce on Opening Day, but IMO I think we are a better lineup with Patterson in CF. The leadoff spot is solved, and he is no worse than Bruce with the glove.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

All you need to know is that Corey Patterson has a .298 career OBP
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

This team won't win the division with retread veterans that couldn't make it elsewhere.

The future is now. Play the future!

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I will continue to resist, until and unless he makes the 25 man roster. After that, Hopper/ Freel/Bruce has an equal chance to start in center field He has hit better in spring training than I expected, however. For the record, Bruce is still in camp and has an equal chance to be the Opening Day center fielder.
    What's this "For the record" BS?!?! You are freakin' DREAMING if you really believe that.

What "Record"? Yours?

"Equal Chance"? According to whom? You - with your head in the sand?

Watch the games, listen to the COACH, read the papers, the quotes, the media, etc... just about EVERYONE says that Patterson is going to be the starting CF-er.

You are hilarious. Funniest thing is you probabaly Actually Believe Yourself.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

ChatterRed - As much as I hate to break it to you, the Reds are likely not going to win the division this year any way. I hope so and I root for them to have that chance, but its not likely to happen. Making a very competitive team this year and saving the young guys is not necessarily a bad thing,

What do you see the outfield being on the great team of 2-3 years hence? Bruce and who--with Hamilton gone, Dunn unsigned, Griffey gone by then? I had hoped it would be Bruce, Hamilton, and Stubbs, but we won't see that now.

"I suppose that if stats mongers want to sit at their computers and play with these things all day long, that’s their prerogative. But their attempt to introduce these new-age statistics into the game threatens to undermine most fans’ enjoyment of baseball and the human factor therein. People play baseball. Numbers don’t."[35]-Murray Chass

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsport06 View Post
    "I suppose that if stats mongers want to sit at their computers and play with these things all day long, that’s their prerogative. But their attempt to introduce these new-age statistics into the game threatens to undermine most fans’ enjoyment of baseball and the human factor therein. People play baseball. Numbers don’t."[35]-Murray Chass
    not really sure what this is for but if you are calling OBP or agreeing with somebody who calls OBP a new-age stat you are about 24 years too late
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Va Red Fan View Post
    ChatterRed - As much as I hate to break it to you, the Reds are likely not going to win the division this year any way. I hope so and I root for them to have that chance, but its not likely to happen. Making a very competitive team this year and saving the young guys is not necessarily a bad thing,
    I dont know if I would phrase it "not likely".
    Mil/Chic look to be decent but not that good. Especially the Milw.
    Stl has lots of pitching problems and the stros have Oswalt and ??
    Just saying with the possible emergence of Volquez/Cueto, I think the reds have almost as good a chance as anyone in the central.

Patterson was good pickup. Unfortunately his past OBP causes me great pain not unlike a monkey or a talking baby on a sitcom. One of Dusty's main requirements for some reason is that his CF has to lead off and his SS has to bat 2nd (no, I don't know why...it just is the gospel according to Dusty). CP could be a huge surprise now that the pressure is off but that is a big if. I'd rather see him platoon with Hopper (I can't believe I just said that) and Freel until Bruce is ready. Then once they all have a combined OBP of .301 after a month, then Bruce gets the call. Or you would think. Or we could just go get Neifi Perez and trade Bruce!

Ok I just had a terrifying but real thought...

Patterson
    Gonzo
    ...ok after this it really doesn't matter
    Last edited by CWRed; 03-17-2008 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    All you need to know is that Corey Patterson has a .298 career OBP
    For 05, 06 and 07 Its like .256 in the leadoff spot
    Last edited by DannyB; 03-18-2008 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    For 05, 06 and 07 Its like .256 in the leadoff spot
    I could have gone all day without seeing that , thanks

Didn't most people think acquiring Brandon Phillips was a bad idea at the time?

My first reaction to Patterson was like most: do we REALLY need another CF challenger? But the guy has really impressed in Spring Training, no doubt. To me, the priority is getting the best guys on the field for the regular season. If that means Patterson, so be it. Bruce may be our starting RF next season...and he'll STILL be a young kid next year.

Come on guys, he hasn't even made the 25 man roster yet!!

<insert sarcasm smiley here>

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Turn Off Ads?