Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: If Corey Patterson is the OD starting centerfielder-It will be a crying shame!

Gary Redus Ruled

Re: Corey Patterson...

Quote Originally Posted by NDReds9 View Post
    Bako hasn't hit the ball hard once.
    "Hit em where they aint" :
    Hoping for another Reds October

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Gary Redus Ruled

As for Patterson I wondered what all the crying was for when we got him. Im in a AL only fantasy League and had Patterson the last couple years. He is what he is. He'll hit 255 and steal 35 bags. He'll play a good center with decent range, useless for fantasy purposes , but much needed between Dunn and Griffey. Im glad he's off to a nice start so he's not everyones scape goat.
    Hoping for another Reds October

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    The obsession with the batting order continues. As if batting Votto 2nd will turn this team into the 27 Yankees. If Fogg and Lincoln continue to pitch like they did tonight this team will be competitive no matter who bats where.
    but why not maximize production by putting the best OBP guys at the top of the order instead of arranging your batting order by some archaic notion that your CF needs to be the lead-off hitter or the fast guy needs to be the lead off hitter?

Obviously Patterson is hitting well but there is nothing in his history to suggest that he will be even an average lead-off hitter. Obsession is too strong a word, this is Reds message board so batting order, especially illogical ones are going to be discussed
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    but why not maximize production
    Except maximizing production hasn't been this team's problem over the last 7 years. Pitching and defense has been this team's problem over the last 7 years.

Re: If Corey Patterson is the OD starting centerfielder-It will be a crying shame!

Phillips tweaked his game when the Reds acquired him and it appears that Patterson has done the same. Sure, it's early in the season but I continue to be optimistic about the guy.

Stats are good at showing trends and lending insight to possible outcomes but they don't take into account the ability of a player to adjust his game.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Except maximizing production hasn't been this team's problem over the last 7 years. Pitching and defense has been this team's problem over the last 7 years.
    agreed but your comment about an obsession with the batting order still begs the question "why not maximize production?" The batting order is something that can be easily controlled by a manager. I understand having a gut feeling about a matchup but to consistently put lower AB guys at the top of the order is giving up outs. Castro batting 2nd? Patterson (for most of his career) batting leadoff? That's just absurd but I will be happy to eat crow if somehow Patterson has completely changed and become a good leadoff hitter all of a sudden.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

The obsession with the batting order continues. As if batting Votto 2nd will turn this team into the 27 Yankees. If Fogg and Lincoln continue to pitch like they did tonight this team will be competitive no matter who bats where.
    Exactly. Too many fantasy league minded people here. You would think at the amount of complaining that Dusty was batting Phillips in the 9 spot, the pitcher was batting cleanup, and we were using relief pitcher as pinch hitters. You can play with the lineup all you want, bottom line is, players have to produce the offense themselves.

Re: If Corey Patterson is the OD starting centerfielder-It will be a crying shame!

And, Patterson's defense has been outstanding. In watching the games on MLB.com, Patterson gets a very good jump on the ball and takes good angles to the ball.

Turn Off Ads?