Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The NCAA Brackets

Re: The NCAA Brackets

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Should the Final Four be Butler, Notre Dame, Purdue and Western Kentucky? If the NCAA tourney were based on graduation rates it would be.

Here are the results from a study released today about graduation rates at the 65 NCAA tourney institutions. http://www.ncasports.org/2008_Mens_B...rnament_PR.pdf

I'm surprised by Western Kentucky.
    WKU is a notrious grade inflation school , like many other medium-sized public universitiy/diploma factories these days. I went to one - NKU. But that's probably why it would surprise someone - it's out of whack with their requirements to get in, which are pretty typical or low compared to a school like ND. Why would they be in the top 4? The NCAA should take a peek.
    Last edited by CrackerJack; 03-17-2008 at 08:56 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    I believe that I heard that the committee tries to ensure that the top two teams in each conference don't meet before the final 4
    I may be wrong, and I'm too lazy/busy to check out this year's brackets, but I think they spread out teams from the same conference so that they cannot even meet in the round of sixteen.

Either way, this goes back to the 1986 season. Kentucky found itself in a Sweet Sixteen Southeast Regional bracket with conference rivals Alabama and LSU, both of which they had beaten twice in the regular season and also in the SEC tournament.

In order to make the Final Four, Kentucky would have to go 4-0 on the season against Alabama (which they did) and then turn around and go 4-0 on the season against LSU (which they did not).

The law of averages got the best of that UK team, which had entered the game 35-3 against the #11 seeded LSU Tigers. It was then that the committee decided to begin delaying any potential intra-conference matchups until the round of eight.

The 1986 LSU team is tied for the lowest seed to ever make the Final Four, by the way. Had they not been given a fourth shot at their rivals, they would not have made the Final Four in 1986.

I have made my picks.

This year, instead of the serious study I normally do and end up being horribly wrong, I took about 2 minutes and clicked down through the bracket and went with my knee-jerk reaction. And then I didn't change a one and exited.

We'll see.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    George Mason is going to be a hugely popular upset pick that doesn't come through. People think of the Final Four team, but this team isn't that one.
    I think the basis of my logic for picking George Mason hinges largely on the fact that I can't stand Notre Dame.

My love for Notre Dame trumps my love for Duke, and my love for tOSU, if you can imagine that.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I have made my picks.

This year, instead of the serious study I normally do and end up being horribly wrong, I took about 2 minutes and clicked down through the bracket and went with my knee-jerk reaction. And then I didn't change a one and exited.

We'll see.
    My 65-year-old mother, who watches no one but UK, did that last year and won her pool over about 150 people, many of them coaches and/or former athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    My 65-year-old mother, who watches no one but UK, did that last year and won her pool over about 150 people, many of them coaches and/or former athletes.
    Die-hard fans tend to over-analyze every single matchup. I've participated in several office pools over the years and the winners by and large are casual fans, not die-hards. Same goes for quite a few weekly football pick'ems.

Some fun ways to pick your bracket: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...ge=pool/080314
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

When are you heading south, Dab?

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post

The 1986 LSU team is tied for the lowest seed to ever make the Final Four, by the way. Had they not been given a fourth shot at their rivals, they would not have made the Final Four in 1986.
    In the Selection Committee's defense, who in their right mind thought LSU would make it to the Regional Final? They were an 11 seed. They should have been out in round one.

In any event, the loss just saved UK the embarrassment of getting bounced out of Dallas by Never Nervous Pervis and the Cards.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    When are you heading south, Dab?
    Thursday late afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Thursday late afternoon.
    Have a great time buddy. I'll be rooting for your Commodores this weekend.

Have a great time buddy. I'll be rooting for your Commodores this weekend.
    Gonna be a blast. The wife decided to go with when she heard Tampa.

And my old man and a couple of his buddies got tickets through his Western Kentucky connections.

I can't wait.

Sounds like a great weekend for you.

I'm planning on burning up a few vacation hours Thursday and Friday to watch the games. I love this time of year!

Sounds like a great weekend for you.

I'm planning on burning up a few vacation hours Thursday and Friday to watch the games. I love this time of year!
    Nothing better in the world than tournament basketball.

Here's a pretty good article on Bruce Pearl, for those who may be interested.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...1&sportCat=ncb

Turn Off Ads?