Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Votto make the club?

Will Votto make the club?

Oh, he'll be a Red soon and the starting first sacker, for sure. But he is hitting .139 this spring. Will the Reds start him in the lineup? On the bench? Or in Louisville, Ky?

He's probably pressing and will explode at some point. Just wonder if the Reds will want him to get on track at AAA.

I'm sure this is unpopular, but Votto is still young, I think it's a legitimate issue.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-16-2008 at 06:37 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Votto make the club?

I give the job to Votto. He was fine in September last year and deserves the shot.

If he flops after a solid month or even more (since I believe DB is of the belief that he is a slow starter), then maybe it's time to give this some thought. But this should be his job.

With 12 pitchers not bringing Votto north would allow the Reds to keep Freel and Hopper around, with Freel as the IF guy.
    Go Gators!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    With 12 pitchers not bringing Votto north would allow the Reds to keep Freel and Hopper around, with Freel as the IF guy.
    You must be channelling Dusty Baker with this logic...

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    You must be channelling Dusty Baker with this logic...
    Maybe Hairston can make the roster, he'd be a good 2 hitter.
    Go Gators!

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I still think Votto is your starting 1st baseman. He has proven his ability in the minors and his spring numbers shouldn't reflect his overall numbers. If he isn't traded.. he's starting at 1st base on March 31st, 2008 at 2:10PM

I think the Reds might send both Votto and Bruce to the minors to get ready. Actually I think they really will but I don't like crow so I will hedge a bit.

He's 24 years old, has proven everything in the minors, and did a dandy of a job in September. To jerk him back to AAA at this point in his career because of a slump in spring training would be the epitome of mishandling a young player.

I think Votto makes the club - I think Dusty has indicated that he understands he's a slow starter (as I recall, Baker said they told him he started last season at .185 and was hot through the bulk of the season).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I think with the competition on this team, its possible Votto starts out in AAA. So with Hatte in the line-up, who is the LHPH?

The bench would be Javy, Freel, Hopper, Castro and ???. With Ross hurt they can't even carry 3 catchers and use Javy.

Cabrera, Gil, Hairston and A. Phillips are all RH. I'm guessing Drew Anderson (the OF) makes the team in Votto's place if it happens.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

What does Votto have left to prove in AAA? The worst for him is the bench up here. He's a notoriously slow starter, and I knew he would have a slow spring. Hopefully other teams are seeing Hatte rip the cover off the ball and make us a Lohse-Maloney-esque deal.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    What does Votto have left to prove in AAA? The worst for him is the bench up here. He's a notoriously slow starter, and I knew he would have a slow spring. Hopefully other teams are seeing Hatte rip the cover off the ball and make us a Lohse-Maloney-esque deal.
    I want to see Votto start at 1B as well. I just wonder if the team will start him in AAA until he gets on a roll, while rewarding another player who had a good spring with that roster spot. He won't get on a roll sitting on the bench in Cincy.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think he'll make it, and you will see Hatteberg get alot of AB's while Votto goes through his annual April struggles. May and June will come around and Votto will get his swing working, and Hatteberg will be dealt before the deadline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Dusty Baker will start Scott Hatteberg v. RHP until he no longer has the option to (i.e. he is traded to some other team).

I'd be shocked if Votto sees significant PT on the big league club until Hatteberg is dealt.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    What does Votto have left to prove in AAA?
    That he can hit in April?

I love Votto, and believe he should be the Reds starting 1B, but he really needs to find a way to shake his springtime blues. This is the third year in a row where he has been TERRIBLE to start the season.

Turn Off Ads?