Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volquez solidifies rotation spot (IMO)

Volquez solidifies rotation spot (IMO)

After today's 5 innings of shut-out versus the Regular Phillies lineup, looks like he's a lock.

Updated Guess at Rotation:

Harang
    Arroyo

Cueto
    Volquez
    Fogg/Bailey/Belisle - edge to Fogg right now, he's proven (even if it's proven mediocrity) and he's the only one not to have a crappy outing in ST.

The way Volquez pitched today, Josh Hamilton could win a Gold Glove and the Triple Crown, but if we can trot that kind of stuff out every 5th day - versus what we got out of Belisle, let alone Milton/Shearn/He Who Won't Be Named from the #5 spots last year, I'll still say we got the better end of that deal.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Volquez solidifies rotation spot (IMO)

Since he has big league experience, I believe that you are right. It's going to take an equal, or better effort for Cueto to even be considered though.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I've seen some thinking that Bruce would be better off starting in AAA because it would be less pressure to bring him up in May instead of start the season as the starting CF.

Does the same logic apply to Cueto?

Maybe we'll see Harang, Arroyo, Fogg, Belisle Volquez to start the year. And Cueto will nudge someone to the bullpen in May. He may start in the bullpen as the long man or he may go to AAA for a month.

I'm beginning to think the same may happen with Votto as he keeps struggling and Hatt looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    I've seen some thinking that Bruce would be better off starting in AAA because it would be less pressure to bring him up in May instead of start the season as the starting CF.

Does the same logic apply to Cueto?

Maybe we'll see Harang, Arroyo, Fogg, Belisle Volquez to start the year. And Cueto will nudge someone to the bullpen in May. He may start in the bullpen as the long man or he may go to AAA for a month.

I'm beginning to think the same may happen with Votto as he keeps struggling and Hatt looks good.
    Color me surprised if Volquez and Cueto are not both in the rotation to start the year. Fogg seems the fifth starter at this point, Belisle might end up in the bullpen or in AAA, and Bailey will start in AAA.

I agree Amarillo, they both have to be there. The Reds have a shortage of experienced pitching and, really, both of these guys have the stuff and, right now, mindset to succeed. If they pitch to their potential the Reds will be more then a handful this year. If the bullpen is as improved as we think the Reds are going to be a major player in baseball. And people keep saying that Fogg is medocrity but really, if you had told Reds fans that the worst pitcher in the rotation going into 2008 would be 10-9 with a 4.94 ERA would have taken it. That would have been a #2 or #3 pitcher for us in the past.

I agree that Volquez and Cueto should be in the rotation to start the season, but the cynic in me says no way cueto is in the rotation on opening day, even though he has earned it.

What is a better situation for the Reds to win?............ IMO, it's starting the season with veterans in the rotation while keeping the rookies in the Big Leauge Pen to let the Starters know that there is no room for error. Also, why not break in younger guys to the pressures of the Majors by letting them get a month in the Pen. It also helps us because it makes Todd Coffey and Mike Stanton very dispensible once they show that last year wasn't just a bad year, but that they are bad players.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

Quote Originally Posted by yab1112 View Post
    I agree that Volquez and Cueto should be in the rotation to start the season, but the cynic in me says no way cueto is in the rotation on opening day, even though he has earned it.
    Even if he has impressed Dusty? That is half the battle, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Fuel View Post
    I agree Amarillo, they both have to be there. The Reds have a shortage of experienced pitching and, really, both of these guys have the stuff and, right now, mindset to succeed. If they pitch to their potential the Reds will be more then a handful this year. If the bullpen is as improved as we think the Reds are going to be a major player in baseball. And people keep saying that Fogg is medocrity but really, if you had told Reds fans that the worst pitcher in the rotation going into 2008 would be 10-9 with a 4.94 ERA would have taken it. That would have been a #2 or #3 pitcher for us in the past.
    Good post !

NICE outing for Volquez

I agree that he looks better and better for a rotation spot. After the last outing, I still remained skeptical, but this outing helps remove some of the doubt. It helps that they moved him up to a starting position and he continues to mow 'em down.

I'm thinking that the back 3 will be Volquez, Cueto (has to continue lights out or he's out and in Louisville), and Fogg/ Belisle. Of course, this could change 10 times next week
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez and Fogg. That my friends is a true big league rotation. If Cueto and Volquez can be league average or slightly above the Reds are going to the playoffs. The best part of that is, I think expecting Cueto and Volquez to be league average would be on the low end of expectations. I could see them combining for 30 wins and a sub 4 ERA.

Harang
    Arroyo
    Belisle
    Volquez
    Cueto

That's your rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez and Fogg. That my friends is a true big league rotation. If Cueto and Volquez can be league average or slightly above the Reds are going to the playoffs. The best part of that is, I think expecting Cueto and Volquez to be league average would be on the low end of expectations. I could see them combining for 30 wins and a sub 4 ERA.
    I would agree with you that that should be the rotation (or the pitchers in it) to start off the year. I would disagree that it is a "true" big league rotation. Who can't like what they have seen from Johnny C or Edinson...but until they perform in the regular season on a consistent basis...who knows if the listed rotation will work...but like I said...it's the best we've got right now.

I agree that Volquez has solidified a spot in the starting rotation, and I am happy about that.

I just hope the Reds have the cahunas to put Cueto in the rotation too.

Harang
    Arroyo
    Volquez
    Cueto
    Belisle/Fogg/Affeldt - better than last year's options

I don't care if we have two nearly rookie pitchers in the starting rotation. Every starting pitcher was a rookie at one time. They will only become veterans by getting their rookie time out of the way!
    Who's on first?

throws 106. NBD.

With the showing that the starters have shown this spring, it would be downright silly not to go with the following rotation:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Volquez
    Cueto
    Fogg

Belisle and Affeldt have been putrid this spring and Fogg has been surprisingly good, so he gets the nod as the 5th starter. That has the potential to be one of the better rotations in the league.

Turn Off Ads?