Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade rumor

Trade rumor

Angels In Need Of Another Arm?
    At the end of his most recent column Ken Rosenthal posits a nightmare scenario for the Angles, going back to 2001 when the Mariners cracked out to a 20-4 start to seize the AL West crown before May Day. With John Lackey and Kelvim Escobar on the shelf for at least 4-6 weeks, should the Angels be concerned going into 2008? Is a move to pick up an extra starter in order?

The team is looking at filling 14-16 starts. With a surplus of outfielders the Angels are certainly in position to make a move. They could opt for a back of rotation innings eater like the Brewers Chris Capuano or the Reds' Matt Belisle. Or, the team could really make a splash and dive head first into the Joe Blanton sweepstakes. David Bush might fill out the rotation nicely, through April and beyond.

Another possibility is a move toward the scrap heap, which got a slight upgrade this past week with the addition of Horacio Ramirez. Think Horacio might like a shot at the April 11 contest up at Safeco? How about reuniting brothers Jeff and Jared Weaver for one last sentimental run? And then there's always the possibility of getting Southern Cali comfort David Wells off the couch for a month or two of solid work.

The LA Times sees General Manager Tony Reagins looking in-house to try and bridge the gap. Lefty Joe Saunders and righty Ervin Santana become your No. 3 and 4 starters, and Dustin Moseley, who made eight starts for the team in 2007, becomes your No. 5. Pencil in young gun Nick Adenhart for an outside shot at getting some innings, if not as a starter possibly as a long-reliever.

Aaron Shinsano writes for East Windup Chronicle.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Re: Trade rumor

In my best Henny Youngman voice (kids look him up on wikipedia)

"Take my Belisle, please!"

So we send them Belisle, what do we get in return? What else does it take to get Willits?

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    So we send them Belisle, what do we get in return? What else does it take to get Willits?
    Yea, we need another speedy/scrappy guy for the fans to fall in love with.

It's a non-issue. I'd rather keep Belisle. The Angels won't trade anything of value for him, so what's the point? I'd rather take a chance on Belisle finally panning out then acquiring another utility player.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    Yea, we need another speedy/scrappy guy for the fans to fall in love with.
    Willits is what Freel wishes he could be. Speedy/scrappy, and not an idiot on the field.

Willits is what Freel wishes he could be. Speedy/scrappy, and not an idiot on the field.

True, but I don't see Willits having a job in Cincy past this season. But then again if Dunn isn't resigned and Jr's option isn't picked up and Freel is trade... and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    True, but I don't see Willits having a job in Cincy past this season. But then again if Dunn isn't resigned and Jr's option isn't picked up and Freel is trade... and so on.
    If Griffey isn't around next season I wouldn't mind putting Bruce in RF and having Willits for CF. He'd finally give the team a true lead-off hitter.

Or off it

Quote Originally Posted by Simms11 View Post
    Or off it
    Yeah, that too.

I doubt the Angles want to pull the trigger now. I think it would be wise for them to wait.

The Angels want Belisle? I don't even know if the dude has any value. I think he'd be more valuable to us just keeping him in the bullpen rather shipping him off in return for more "scrappiness."

We're not a good partner for the Angels in this scenario. We don't have any true "MLB quality" arms that we need to be getting rid of.

Belisle, Maloney, and Waring.

Give me Brandon Wood please.

the angels would be idiots to give up brandon wood for so little. like previously said keeping belisle and moving him to the bullpen even would present more value than trading him. im not to big of a fan for matt maloney either. but im pretty sure they wouldnt have much a use for him anyway. the angels have plenty of good unexpierenced arms they might as well give a shot at if that was the case. besides with the 16 homeruns brandon waringe pulled off in such few at-bats last year, the stellar average, and so on he has to much potential to excel past where juan francisco should of been years ago this year. lastly if we had a shot at anyone we might be able to get sean rodriguez. that kid can flat out hit. i'd seriously consider putting him about brandon wood at the plate. but we dont need a shortstop anyone. we got paul janish. and we got chris valaika, and we got jerry gil, and yea yea. but we would be idiots to give up belisle even for reggie willitis. it has already been stated the angels dont want to trade him, for some reason none you can get that through your heads and accept it though. but we got daniel dorn, we got chris dickerson, we got dennis phipps, we got haha phipps, we got carson kainer, and drew stubbs, and jay bruce, and chris heisley. i really like him. if we have any leaderoff hitter in our system, heisey is it. so yea thats about it.

Turn Off Ads?