Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: MLB TradeRumor - Bailey apparently availble.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    391

    MLB TradeRumor - Bailey apparently availble.

    I can see why people are down on him, but I don't think now is the time to trade him. Especially with his value being so low. However, does anyone else think Homer is availble?

    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    11

    Re: MLB TradeRumor - Bailey apparently availble.

    I don't doubt that he is available but I think a lot of the stories about his attitude that are coming out now is a snowball of one story. Not saying it's not partly true, but the way it's hit the fan in recent days is ridiculous.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Blue Ash
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: MLB TradeRumor - Bailey apparently availble.

    I'd trade him, but I'd wait to do it. I think his value at the end of July will be much higher if he annihilates triple A hitting. Could be the best thing that happens.

    Bailey goes to triple AAA and blow them away all season, bidding to come back to the majors, and some team out of the running or in the running but needing help, is willing to trade too much for him.
    Who's on first?

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    544

    Re: MLB TradeRumor - Bailey apparently availble.

    It's incredible how poorly the Reds media is treating Bailey, and maybe the organization as well.

    You try to trade him all offseason, and the media wants him gone for a "veteran" pitcher.
    You create suspect articles about his makeup and have it snowball out of control with a few bad starts.
    You basically hyped him up then destroyed any trade value he has... then want to trade him.
    It's just amazing how bad everything has been...

    Bailey is a top 10 prospect in Baseball. He's 21 and has already made it to the majors. Let him figure it out and just stop talking about it. Let him focus on pitching and not all this other crap. I really think it's the media's creation thats starting to destroy his game.

  6. #5
    Member Oxilon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,133

    Re: MLB TradeRumor - Bailey apparently availble.

    This may be too early to say, but I'm going to go out on a limb to say it; I don't think Bailey is going to amount to much in the majors. Yes, I know he's only 21, he really hasn't seen that much action about A ball, and it's only spring training. But we had three highly touted pitching prospects pitch for the Reds this spring training. Cueto and Volquez were unbelievably dominant considering their position coming into spring training and Bailey struggled. Don't get me wrong here, it's still very early and all in his career, but I just don't feel confident about Bailey making any strides -- atleast not to surmount to anything dominant in the majors. From all the talk about him being uncoachable, to his obvious stubburness about seeking out advice, he just really doesn't strike me as somebody who will reach his potential. And considering the number of highly touted pitching prospects who burn out once they reach the majors, I think getting 2/3 of our prized pitching prospects to be successful is an outstanding accomplishment. Again, I may be way to premature on this -- hell, I probably am. But I just don't feel confident in Homer.
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Blue Ash
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: MLB TradeRumor - Bailey apparently availble.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    This may be too early to say, but I'm going to go out on a limb to say it; I don't think Bailey is going to amount to much in the majors. Yes, I know he's only 21, he really hasn't seen that much action about A ball, and it's only spring training. But we had three highly touted pitching prospects pitch for the Reds this spring training. Cueto and Volquez were unbelievably dominant considering their position coming into spring training and Bailey struggled. Don't get me wrong here, it's still very early and all in his career, but I just don't feel confident about Bailey making any strides -- atleast not to surmount to anything dominant in the majors. From all the talk about him being uncoachable, to his obvious stubburness about seeking out advice, he just really doesn't strike me as somebody who will reach his potential. And considering the number of highly touted pitching prospects who burn out once they reach the majors, I think getting 2/3 of our prized pitching prospects to be successful is an outstanding accomplishment. Again, I may be way to premature on this -- hell, I probably am. But I just don't feel confident in Homer.


    Couldn't have said it better. My biggest concerns are everything I hear about his attitude, being "uncoachable", not willing to change or make adjustments.

    I remember reading a quote from Homer last year talking about how hard it was to see other guys he pitched against in the minors getting called up while he was still in triple AAA. What amazed me was that alot of those guys were holding their own in the majors while Homer was struggling.

    And his high pitch counts worry me. He nitpicks around the plate too much. Goes full count on everybody. If he had a good changeup, he let his fielders do some work, but he tries to overpower every hitter and that doesn't fly in the majors. He's not Nolan Ryan.
    Who's on first?

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2

    Re: MLB TradeRumor - Bailey apparently availble.

    You could be talking about EV as recently as a year ago. He was struggling in the majors in multiple tries because he was rushed there. Mostly it was control problems--no one questioned his stuff. I think he is putting it all together now. Homer has just as a good a chance of doing the same.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    175

    Re: MLB TradeRumor - Bailey apparently availble.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    This may be too early to say, but I'm going to go out on a limb to say it; I don't think Bailey is going to amount to much in the majors. Yes, I know he's only 21, he really hasn't seen that much action about A ball, and it's only spring training. But we had three highly touted pitching prospects pitch for the Reds this spring training. Cueto and Volquez were unbelievably dominant considering their position coming into spring training and Bailey struggled. Don't get me wrong here, it's still very early and all in his career, but I just don't feel confident about Bailey making any strides -- atleast not to surmount to anything dominant in the majors. From all the talk about him being uncoachable, to his obvious stubburness about seeking out advice, he just really doesn't strike me as somebody who will reach his potential. And considering the number of highly touted pitching prospects who burn out once they reach the majors, I think getting 2/3 of our prized pitching prospects to be successful is an outstanding accomplishment. Again, I may be way to premature on this -- hell, I probably am. But I just don't feel confident in Homer.
    You're right, it is way too early to make any such declarations.

    Exactly how many pitchers have put it all together by the time they're 21? You're basing your comments about his coachability on rumors and innuendo by some extraordinarily poor Cincinnati reporters.

    Trading him at his lowest value would be extremely foolish. Fortunately, I don't expect the Reds to make that mistake.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    175

    Re: MLB TradeRumor - Bailey apparently availble.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post


    Couldn't have said it better. My biggest concerns are everything I hear about his attitude, being "uncoachable", not willing to change or make adjustments.

    I remember reading a quote from Homer last year talking about how hard it was to see other guys he pitched against in the minors getting called up while he was still in triple AAA. What amazed me was that alot of those guys were holding their own in the majors while Homer was struggling.

    And his high pitch counts worry me. He nitpicks around the plate too much. Goes full count on everybody. If he had a good changeup, he let his fielders do some work, but he tries to overpower every hitter and that doesn't fly in the majors. He's not Nolan Ryan.
    HE IS TWENTY ONE YEARS OLD.

    Please, anyone who reached the height of their emotional maturity by the age of 21, please speak up!

    Anyone???

    Anyone who also happens to possess physical abilities only held by around .1% of the population?

    Please, by all means, speak up.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    We have pitchers now?!
    Posts
    1,017

    Re: MLB TradeRumor - Bailey apparently availble.

    Bailey wasnt untouchable as everyone said he was anyway. It was about finding a package that was going to give the Reds the best return. Haren was probably that package, but Haren probably was going to run abit more than just Bailey. I dont think anyone was off the market as much as WE seem to think they were.

    You just have some high standards for what the return should be for Bailey, Bruce or Cueto. You dont sell short on prospects that can be better than the return when the return is Blanton or Bedard. You really have to take a risk on quality that we can afford to lose (Hamilton) and spin that for something we can't afford to lose (Voltron-More youth pitching). I think this is the reason you really didnt see a move of Bailey or K-ueto (Cueto) for any type of "now" pitcher. The quality and quantity of K-ueto, Voltron and Bailey was more than the just quality of Bedard or Blanton.
    Last edited by Dracodave; 03-17-2008 at 04:30 PM.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    544

    Re: MLB TradeRumor - Bailey apparently availble.

    Copying someone from ORG...

    [SP] Erik Bedard Left-Handed No. 1 Starter

    Wednesday, March 28, 2007; H07

    Several years ago, when the Orioles were trying to acquire pitcher Tim Hudson, the Athletics insisted any deal include Bedard. The Orioles were reluctant because in Bedard they saw the potential for an ace. Though he often struggled with command, and his pitch count often passed 100 by the fifth inning, Bedard showed flashes of brilliance. He was stubborn and was considered almost uncoachable, but the Orioles were wary to trade him because of his potential. Several years later, Bedard has finally achieved ace status. Late in March, Perlozzo named him the Opening Day starter, the first time a lefty has had that distinction since 1997. Bedard will be expected to lead a staff that includes two youngsters and two veterans. Not much has changed with Bedard's stoic demeanor. But scouts continue to rave about him, and the Orioles are thankful they did not trade him.

    Bedard didn't actually pitch regularly in the majors until 25, and didn't post an ERA under 4.00 until 27, only 2 years ago.
    Last edited by mlbfan30; 03-17-2008 at 04:41 PM.

  13. #12
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Titletown, FL
    Posts
    3,855

    Re: MLB TradeRumor - Bailey apparently availble.

    Look how long it took Sabathia to become truly dominant...not everyone learns on the same curve.

    Homer will be a dandy - soon enough.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

  14. #13
    Member DannyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale
    Posts
    803

    Re: MLB TradeRumor - Bailey apparently availble.

    QUOTE]Please, anyone who reached the height of their emotional maturity by the age of 21, please speak up![/QUOTE]

    Ahem...

  15. #14
    Member Oxilon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,133

    Re: MLB TradeRumor - Bailey apparently availble.

    Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce4HOF View Post
    You're right, it is way too early to make any such declarations.

    Exactly how many pitchers have put it all together by the time they're 21? You're basing your comments about his coachability on rumors and innuendo by some extraordinarily poor Cincinnati reporters.

    Trading him at his lowest value would be extremely foolish. Fortunately, I don't expect the Reds to make that mistake.
    I'm not bashing Homer because he isn't having as much success as he, along with all of us, wish he was having at the age of 21 per se. I'm just disappointed in what I hear about his work ethic, overall stubborness, and other intangible qualities that you don't want to hear in your prized pitching prospects. I'm not trying to bash Homer based on ST stats and than praise Volquez and Cueto on the same thing -- that'd be some what hypocritical. I'm just disappointed in how Bailey has handled himself since he was called up the majors last year and from what I've heard about him.

    And you say I'm bashing him off of "rumors and innuendos by some extraordinarily poor Cincinnati reporters?" Well, considering they're around the team more than anybody else, why shouldn't we believe them? I mean, it's not like there was just one report about him being a malcontent/stubborn/etc..., it's been that way with almost every article, blog, or write-up from him. Yes, Cincinnati media, but national media as well (Gammons, Olney, etc...).
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    163

    Re: MLB TradeRumor - Bailey apparently availble.

    The kid is only 21. He will be fine. He has the tools to be great, I think it would be a big mistake for the Reds to give up on him so early. For a team that hasn't developed a great pitcher out of their system in 20 some years to let him go would be insane.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25