Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jeremy Affeldt to the bullpen per Dusty

Re: Jeremy Affeldt to the bullpen per Dusty

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Well, it seems the list of competitors is down to four, so it's a lock that at least one of them will. I think Cueto is the lock and then it's pretty much a complete toss up between Volquez, Fogg, and Belisle. If I had to guess, I'd say that due to the crunch of spots, that barring a thinning out of the bullpen, Volquez starts the year at the front the AAA rotation and we open with a rotation of:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Fogg
    Cueto
    Belisle
    I'd suggest that Cueto and Volquez will be flipped, with Cueto starting at AAA. I feel it's doubtful that Krivsky would deal Hamilton for Volquez, then watch Volquez pitch well in Spring Training only to ship him to AAA. Not saying that's right, just that's how I see it playing out.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

Right now I think Johnny Cueto and Edinson Volquez are both near locks for the rotation. Dusty Baker has all but stated this. With the comments he has made, I would be shocked if both Cueto and Volquez are not in the Opening Day rotation. My starting five would be: Harang, Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto, Belisle.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Right now I think Johnny Cueto and Edinson Volquez are both near locks for the rotation. Dusty Baker has all but stated this. With the comments he has made, I would be shocked if both Cueto and Volquez are not in the Opening Day rotation. My starting five would be: Harang, Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto, Belisle.
    That's how I see the situation as well. Although it seems like Fogg might have the inside track to the 5th spot.

Baker has said lots of things about lots of players to this point. How much should be taken as gospel and how much is just him trying to motivate? I'd like to believe that Cueto and Volquez will both be in the rotation to start the year but I'm not holding my breath.

Nothing Josh Fogg has done in his entire career should mean he wins a job in ST. If the plan was for Belisle to be the Number 3 starter before ST started, and I believe it was, then All this ST was for getting his arm in shape to start the season and shake off some rust.

I'd release Fogg tomorrow and hope the Astros pick him up.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'd release Fogg tomorrow and hope the Astros pick him up.
    They gave him a million dollars, they won't cut him now.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    They gave him a million dollars, they won't cut him now.
    actually, he has to make to team to get a guaranteed contract. if not the Reds are only out 100,000.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    actually, he has to make to team to get a guaranteed contract. if not the Reds are only out 100,000.
    Heck, the way WK throws around Castellini's $$ on Rule V guys, 100 large shouldn't be a problem...

Was Fogg "statistically bad" or "just plain bad" today??

Wouldn't you love to see Belisle just take the darn ball Thursday and lay serious claim to his rotation spot???...I got the sense JB was discriminantly speaking about Belisle when he kept lusting over Cueto's ability to get out of trouble and not melting down during the 1st inning yesterday...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

From Fay, after today's game.

Josh Fogg had a rough start. He allowed six runs -- three earned -- in five hits in three innings.

"He was missing his spots," Dusty Baker said. "And we had a couple of defensive miscues. He needs good defense behind. Also, in his defense, he was pitching on three days' rest."

Fogg is a fifth-starter type. He's going to have days like that.

“If I was going to be good every start, I don’t think I’d be in the situation I’m in right now,” Fogg said. “I’d have a guaranteed job somewhere. Everybody gets beat up every once and a while. It’s part of the game.”

I really liked and supported the Fogg signing at first, but now I wonder why! It would be a crying shame, IMO, if he starts over any of Belisle, Cueto, or Volquez. It would be shame if he makes the bullpen over Burton, Salmon, McBeth, or even Coffey. These guys have way more talent and upside.

Give me a rotation (in whatever order) of Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Volqez, and Cueto.

P.S. a rotation without Affeldt either

Turn Off Ads?