Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Affeldt to the pen...

  1. #1
    Member mroby85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,282

    Affeldt to the pen...

    Baker just said on the Reds game that they informed Affeldt today that he will be in the pen. That is great news in my opinion, and increases the probability of cueto or volquez making the rotation, who were both spoken highly of by baker!

    correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe this guarantee's at least volquez OR cueto makes the rotation, if not both.

    you have harang, arroyo.

    then cueto, volquez, belisle, and fogg trying for spots, so that means at least one gets in, unless im forgetting someone.
    Last edited by mroby85; 03-17-2008 at 02:12 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,915

    Re: Affeldt to the pen...

    I don't know a whole lot about Affeldt but this is both good and bad news to me. Mainly it pretty much means Cueto or Volquez will be in the rotation if not both. But the bad thing is there's one less spot for someone like Salmon. But if he can get some outs then it's by me.
    Most Vottomatic Player

  4. #3
    throws 106. NBD.
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,194

    Re: Affeldt to the pen...

    Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    Baker just said on the Reds game that they informed Affeldt today that he will be in the pen. That is great news in my opinion, and increases the probability of cueto or volquez making the rotation, who were both spoken highly of by baker!

    correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe this guarantee's at least volquez OR cueto makes the rotation, if not both.

    you have harang, arroyo.

    then cueto, volquez, belisle, and fogg trying for spots, so that means at least one gets in, unless im forgetting someone.
    You are correct. At least one of Cueto and Volquez will be in the rotation. I have a good feeling that we will see both in there to start the season.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Centerville,OH
    Posts
    675

    Re: Affeldt to the pen...

    I think Belisle will get be in the rotation IF he does well the last two weeks of spring training. If he continues to pitch poorly or even mediocre then I think both Volquez and Cueto will be starters.

  6. #5
    Member mroby85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: Affeldt to the pen...

    i would much rather us go with the two young guys, in my opinion we know what we're getting with belisle, and it just isn't good enough.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    544

    Re: Affeldt to the pen...

    Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    i would much rather us go with the two young guys, in my opinion we know what we're getting with belisle, and it just isn't good enough.
    Volquez and Cueto are making it...
    That leaves Belisle vs. Fogg. Belisle is younger and has a lot more upside so he should be in.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    619

    Re: Affeldt to the pen...

    Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    Volquez and Cueto are making it...
    That leaves Belisle vs. Fogg. Belisle is younger and has a lot more upside so he should be in.
    Can I be the first to say, "I'm sick of Matt Belisle." Younger, more upside? That's been the book on him for what, the last 4 years.

    Everything I'm reading on Fogg says he should be the 5th starter. If the two kids pitch better than Belisle, then pack Matty-boy off for some prospects.

    I've said it before on here, but I'll say it again. If the Braves don't want a pitcher, neither do I. They saw all they needed when they shipped Matt on up here to us.

    Just before ST started there was a great article about Matt, how he was ready to step it up and how excited he was that Dusty called him in the off-season to talk to him. What happened to that guy?

  9. #8
    I Hate Cleveland fugowitribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cambridge, Ohio
    Posts
    195

    Re: Affeldt to the pen...

    Is Affeldt the type of player that sees this move to the Pen as a demotion? Will this affect his performance out there?
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Youngstown,OH
    Posts
    352

    Re: Affeldt to the pen...

    Is Affeldt the type of player that sees this move to the Pen as a demotion? Will this affect his performance out there?
    Hopefully he sees it as an opportunity to contribute.

    It is the major leagues and he will make a nice salary. Maybe this will light a fire.

    Besides, the Reds did what they said they would do; they gave him the opportunity. If they had not run him out there enough or he performed and got pushed out, well then he might have a complaint.

    He needs to move past it and get to work keeping a job. We just have to assume that's what he'll do until he says or acts differently.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,161

    Re: Affeldt to the pen...

    Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    Can I be the first to say, "I'm sick of Matt Belisle." Younger, more upside? That's been the book on him for what, the last 4 years.

    Everything I'm reading on Fogg says he should be the 5th starter. If the two kids pitch better than Belisle, then pack Matty-boy off for some prospects.

    I've said it before on here, but I'll say it again. If the Braves don't want a pitcher, neither do I. They saw all they needed when they shipped Matt on up here to us.

    Just before ST started there was a great article about Matt, how he was ready to step it up and how excited he was that Dusty called him in the off-season to talk to him. What happened to that guy?
    You can be at least the 2nd.

    How about this one "He's UNLUCKY with his BABIP, and his DIPS/xFIP/SLIPPYGRIP ERA is 4.5, so he's a #3 SP, blah blah blah".

    The Reason his BABIP is so crappy, is because people are CRUSHING his pitches, instead of slow dribblers to SS.

    PEACE

    -BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

    Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    66

    Re: Affeldt to the pen...

    "I suppose that if stats mongers want to sit at their computers and play with these things all day long, thatís their prerogative. But their attempt to introduce these new-age statistics into the game threatens to undermine most fansí enjoyment of baseball and the human factor therein. People play baseball. Numbers donít."[35]-Murray Chass

    exactly what i think of the last and just about every post.

  13. #12
    Member mroby85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: Affeldt to the pen...

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetsport06 View Post
    "I suppose that if stats mongers want to sit at their computers and play with these things all day long, thatís their prerogative. But their attempt to introduce these new-age statistics into the game threatens to undermine most fansí enjoyment of baseball and the human factor therein. People play baseball. Numbers donít."[35]-Murray Chass

    exactly what i think of the last and just about every post.
    that is one of the best posts i've ever seen, i COULD NOT agree with you any more!

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,161

    Re: Affeldt to the pen...

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetsport06 View Post
    "I suppose that if stats mongers want to sit at their computers and play with these things all day long, thatís their prerogative. But their attempt to introduce these new-age statistics into the game threatens to undermine most fansí enjoyment of baseball and the human factor therein. People play baseball. Numbers donít."[35]-Murray Chass

    exactly what i think of the last and just about every post.
    Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    that is one of the best posts i've ever seen, i COULD NOT agree with you any more!
    I agree. I don't care what the stats say. Belisle sucks.

    PEACE

    -BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

    Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

  15. #14
    The Future GoReds33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,463

    Re: Affeldt to the pen...

    Stats are the new age of baseball. Baseball has come from when managers made choices by the seat of their pants to when they make decisions by the book. The only thing I see coming from it is less accountability. If a manager makes a decision based on a hunch, and he's wrong, he'll likely be bashed by fans. If a manager makes a decision by the book, and it backfires, you can bet that he'll use the "I played it by the book" excuse.

    I see where people can look at the stats and judge that Belisle isn't terrible, but if you watch a game, he's terrible. I think it's time to let his experiment in the rotation go. He's an effective pitcher out of the bullpen, not the rotation.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

  16. #15
    Recovering Cubs Fan
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    711

    Re: Affeldt to the pen...

    I understand what you guys are saying about the human element and whatnot. But dismissing statistical analysis with a wave of your hand isn't going to change the fact that the information is useful. I agree some people tend to get carried away with it and themselves dismiss anything that can't yet be quantified, but that doesn't mean it's all useless. Baseball is a competitive business and teams that ignore useful information do so at their own peril.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25