Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cueto Starts; Feels Some Heat, Then Gets It Done.

Cueto Starts; Feels Some Heat, Then Gets It Done.

Excerpt from:

Cueto, Dunn lead Reds over Tigers
    Starter fans four in four innings, left-fielder goes deep in win
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

Reds on the mound: Starter Johnny Cueto gave up two earned runs and two hits over four innings, walking three and striking out four.
    On the surface, doesn't look that fantastic, but OK. In reality, IMO,
    it was a lot better than that.

All the damage was done in the first frame. The Tigers got a couple of "bloop" hits (didn't see the game - game thread info). He seemed to be a little rattled and passed out a few walks - walking in a run. Then he got out of it. 2 hits, two walks, two runs. Avoided the big inning.

Then comes the great part; he comes back and retires the next 11 of 12, ending up with 4 K's. That shows his toughness right there. He didn't back down, stayed with it and did the job - you really can't ask more than that.

Maybe it was the fact that they elevated him to the starting slot and it shook him a little bit. Who knows. But, it showed a lot of maturity and grit to come back as he did. He could have easily folded up and nobody probably would have blamed him (the wind was bad, first time starting in the spring,etc.) He didn't do that. He's so mature for a 22 year old! Very impressive.

Starting rotation here he comes.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cueto Starts; Feels Some Heat, Then Gets It Done.

If it were Matt Belisle that first inning would have been one in which the tigers scored 5+ runs. Cueto was darn impressive. If he is usually better than that then the reds have a special player on their hands.

Cueto was quite impressive IMO. He has excellent movement on his pitches and seems to have good command as well. Reoneke on the other hand throws hard but straight as an arrow, he reminded me of Jerry Spradlin.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

It's great to see him being able to overcome a rough start and being able to pitch his way out of trouble. I really hope he makes his way into the rotation this year.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I think Cueto pitched well innings 2-5. I turned on the TV just as Hatteberg recorded out 2, so I only saw him pitch well lol. I would really have liked to see him get one more inning in, though. I hope he can go 6-7 innings per start. I don't want to strain a potentially weak bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    If it were Matt Belisle that first inning would have been one in which the tigers scored 5+ runs. Cueto was darn impressive. If he is usually better than that then the reds have a special player on their hands.
    Exactly!!!

Recovering Cubs Fan

Yeah, it was impressive but let's face it -- that first inning was pretty damn disappointing. All we heard all spring was how great his control is, how fearless he is no matter who he's facing, and the first time we actually get to see him, he pees his pants against Mags&Migs. Yes, he kept his cool and got out of the inning. Yes, he recuperated nicely. But I selfishly wanted to see him blow those guys away. Maybe they haven't hyped him enough .
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    All we heard all spring was how great his control is, how fearless he is no matter who he's facing, and the first time we actually get to see him, he pees his pants against Mags&Migs.
    Certainly can't please everyone. Geez.

I'd rather have him "pee his pants" against the Tigers in spring training than in the World Series.

I watched the game mainly to see Cueto for the first time. The kid didn't disappoint.

Those 2 bloop singles in the first inning were just that: bloops. He didn't get hit very hard. What seemed interesting to me is that he later seemed to be pushing too hard but he settled down and got back into a groove. Regaining his composure showed me that he's got the mentality to be a very good pitcher.

He deserves to be in the rotation, IMO.

Cueto = the next Soto/Rijo

Turn Off Ads?