Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mario Soto for assistant pitching coach

Mario Soto for assistant pitching coach

I was watching the game today and I saw Cueto sitting next to Soto. As it appears, the Reds 2008 season is riding on Messers Cueto and Volquez. Doesn't that make it worth asking Soto to ride around with the Reds for all 162 games?

I just wonder if anyone has heard anything like this thrown around down in Sarasota. Does the Reds brass have enough imagination to think of it on their own or should we send an email to WK?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mario Soto for assistant pitching coach

I think he decided last season that he couldn't do it after filling in for a while in Louisville.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I think he decided last season that he couldn't do it after filling in for a while in Louisville.
    Right. He has duties in Latin America to take care of and helps run the academy down there.

No. I think it makes more sense for him to work with the younger players than it does with the Reds.

then I wouldn't be able to get a chuckle everytime the anouncer says "Dick Pole"...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    then I wouldn't be able to get a chuckle everytime the anouncer says "Dick Pole"...

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    You said chuckle....

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

He has business interests in the Dominican. Last year his wife, for various reasons, forbade him to stay in Louisville any longer than he already had.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Well, the man's gotta do what the man's gotta do.....but he could help a great deal.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    Well, the man's gotta do what the man's gotta do.....but he could help a great deal.
    I am sure he does help a great deal already. I am sure he works with those kids down in the Dominican during the season at times, he comes up here at times during the season as well.

His Job in the D R is vital to long term interests for our Reds.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

better to have him on call than not at all, happy wife = happy life

I saw him at the Millenium Hotel two seasons ago when he was Marshall of the OD parade [at least I think he was marshall lol]....the wife says he dressed too much like a pretty boy to be a good pitcher.

My wifes good to me, so I let that slide.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    I was watching the game today and I saw Cueto sitting next to Soto. As it appears, the Reds 2008 season is riding on Messers Cueto and Volquez. Doesn't that make it worth asking Soto to ride around with the Reds for all 162 games?

I just wonder if anyone has heard anything like this thrown around down in Sarasota. Does the Reds brass have enough imagination to think of it on their own or should we send an email to WK?

I saw that too and immediately compared Cueto's willingness to listen and learn from Mario Soto and Homer Bailey's reported stubborn attitude problems that I most recently read in a quote from Buster Olney saying (I'm paraphrasing here) Bailey thinks he already knows everything. Sadly, if Bailey doesn't get an attitude adjustment I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him dealt away at the trade deadline this year.

But I digress. Hopefully one day, one year, Mario Soto can get his current obligations squared away and become the awesome pitching coach for the Reds which obviously would further enhance the pitching of Johnny Cueto, Edinson Volquez, et al.

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    I saw that too and immediately compared Cueto's willingness to listen and learn from Mario Soto and Homer Bailey's reported stubborn attitude problems that I most recently read in a quote from Buster Olney saying (I'm paraphrasing here) Bailey thinks he already knows everything. Sadly, if Bailey doesn't get an attitude adjustment I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him dealt away at the trade deadline this year.
    "I told Homer (Bailey) to go to talk to Mario (Soto) during the game because (Dick Pole's) busy during the game. I saw him down there all game. I like that. It's like going to school," Baker said.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...50403/1071/SPT

Turn Off Ads?