Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: College Admissions are a joke

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: College Admissions are a joke

However, my family and I have researched the kind of kids who do receive this money (we've asked people online, made phone calls, ect.) and most of them have the same academic stats, if not worse, but they are not athletes.
    Dude wants all the girls and the money. Come on now, that's not fair.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    In regards to AP classes, you do have to obtain a certain score on the AP tests in order to receive college credit. The minimum score varies from school to school.

Back in my day, the tests were graded on a 1-5 scale. 1 means you correctly put your name on the test, and that's about it. 5 means that absolutely owned the material, bent it over, and made it your... well, you get the idea. The people that handle the AP tests don't hand out too many 5s. The majority of students fall into the 2-4 category. Some schools, depending on the subject of the test, will actually give credit for earning a 2. Most however, require 3 and above. Most Ivy League schools require 4s or 5s. Again, it varies by the school, and varies on the subject of the test.
    i was a 2002 graduate of a small farm town on the western fringe of dayton. i took all the AP courses offered and none of them offered a weighted grade, but they did offer college credit and the tests were graded on the 1-5 scale like you mentioned (myself being the first and only person in the history of my school to score a 5 on the AP Gov't section.)

but on another note, the road to receiving scholarships at most major universities is extremely difficult. i personally was a 4.30 gpa, valedictorian, national honor society, spanish honor society, class vice president who got a 32 on his ACT, attended Buckeye Boys State and placed in the State Science Fair....

I got a decent haul in local scholarships. $3000 a year, renewable.
    I had a free ride offer to Wright State
    I had about a 90% ride offer to U.D.
    Ohio State offered me nothing. Not a cent in free money.

I, of course, had to attend Ohio State (where i paid for everything, finished undergrad summa, and still was not accepted into med school, but that's a whole separate can of worms), but I also learned my junior year after my dad got the genealogy bug, that my grandmother's parents were full-blooded Chickasaw Indian, and i'm 1/16th native american. if i had relayed this tOSU when applying, i probably would have gone for free.

but alas, tis life.

the only thing i can tell you is you are likely to find more money at smaller and more local colleges. they tend to respect the local high schools more and offer a lot to keep the brightest local heads, well, local.
    "It is much easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus_the_Red View Post
    i was a 2002 graduate of a small farm town on the western fringe of dayton. i took all the AP courses offered and none of them offered a weighted grade, but they did offer college credit and the tests were graded on the 1-5 scale like you mentioned (myself being the first and only person in the history of my school to score a 5 on the AP Gov't section.)
    I was one of three people at my HS to get a 5 on the AP Gov't exam last year...

Title of the thread is "College Admissions are a joke."

But the rant is against Financial Aid.

Those are two very different (although related) checkpoints in an institution of higher education.

If you are angry about the way that the butcher is treating you at the meat counter, don't rail against the assistant manager of the produce section.

And in all seriousness - if someone's GPA is closer to a 5 than it is a 4, I really have to wonder about the quality of the programs at that school. Sounds like some mega-grade inflation to me.

From what I gather, that's a fairly common occurence. There's a lot of solid schools out there trying to throw money at good students who just won't take it.

I turned down a free ride at U. Miami (Fla.) based on the notion that I'd blow the scholarship after one hell of a year at the beach. What I didn't know was that Miami was the tip of an iceberg. Had I really gone through that boatload of pamphlets I received from colleges what I'd have discovered is many good, but not quite "name" institutions were willing to do whatever it took to woo me.

Eilte state schools in larger states - Ohio, Illinois, Pennsylvania - have no trouble attracting top students. They have large populations to draw from and when you add in well-regarded academic programs and attractive in-state tuition prices, they're swimming in students with top grades and test scores. High profile athletic programs also mean that they receive a lot of interest from out of state as well.

Meanwhile, smaller population states like Vermont and New Mexico face brain drain situations. The top students in the state tend to leave and there isn't a large pool of top tier applicants from outside the state trying to get in. As a result, UVM and UNM are far more aggressive when it comes to academic scholarships.

Second tier state schools do the same. Brutus mentioned Wright State. I've heard Ferris State in Michigan is a pretty aggressive school when it comes to giving money to students with high class ranks and test scores. In New England schools like UMass-Lowell and UMaine-Farmington (both good schools, especially the latter) bend over backwards trying to find money for quality students. James Madison University (VA), where I went to grad school, was throwing money around like candy back when I was there.

Then you've got smaller private schools. My cousin got a free ride offer to West Virginia Wesleyan (which also came with automatic entrance to Duke Med for the program in which she was accepted). My aunt convinced her to turn it down, because my aunt is insane, but the money and a path to one of the best med schools in the country was there for her.

My wife got a lot of money when she attended Simmons, a women's college in Boston.

Students tend to be rigid about where they apply and a lot of high schools do lousy job of informing them about what alternatives are out there. The truth is you can get a good education in a lot of places. It's one of the best things about the United States of America.

As Brutus mentioned above, if you're a really good student there's schools out there that are going to want you. You just have to be willing to cast wider net in some cases.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Just go to the best school that fits what you plan to study.

I'm at a small private engineering school since I wanted to be a chemical engineer. There's basically no financial aid, and tuition is above 40k a year, but it's one of the best colleges in the country for engineering. I could have had a lot more financial aid from other schools, but they weren't as good. For anyone going to college, the main thing is to research the programs, and not the schools itself. A big school doesn't mean its better, and a well known school doesn't mean its good either. If you are truly going to college because you want to get a good education, then go to the best school regardless of cost. If your an average student who doesn't really care about learning, go to the cheaper place. From my HS experience, there are very very few students who truly care about education.

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post

I'm at a small private engineering school since I wanted to be a chemical engineer. There's basically no financial aid, and tuition is above 40k a year, but it's one of the best colleges in the country for engineering. I could have had a lot more financial aid from other schools, but they weren't as good. For anyone going to college, the main thing is to research the programs, and not the schools itself. A big school doesn't mean its better, and a well known school doesn't mean its good either. If you are truly going to college because you want to get a good education, then go to the best school regardless of cost. If your an average student who doesn't really care about learning, go to the cheaper place. From my HS experience, there are very very few students who truly care about education.
    Haha right on with every point

but on another note, the road to receiving scholarships at most major universities is extremely difficult. i personally was a 4.30 gpa, valedictorian, national honor society, spanish honor society, class vice president who got a 32 on his ACT, attended Buckeye Boys State and placed in the State Science Fair....

I got a decent haul in local scholarships. $3000 a year, renewable.

I, of course, had to attend Ohio State (where i paid for everything, finished undergrad summa, and still was not accepted into med school, but that's a whole separate can of worms), but I also learned my junior year after my dad got the genealogy bug, that my grandmother's parents were full-blooded Chickasaw Indian, and i'm 1/16th native american. if i had relayed this tOSU when applying, i probably would have gone for free.

but alas, tis life.

the only thing i can tell you is you are likely to find more money at smaller and more local colleges. they tend to respect the local high schools more and offer a lot to keep the brightest local heads, well, local.
    Hmm...we would have been at Boy's State the same year. Which city were you?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

If you are truly going to college because you want to get a good education, then go to the best school regardless of cost.
    That sounds great, until you actually have to pay for it. If you come from a family with some means, then, sure, follow your bliss. If your family actually has a limit on what it can spend for college (and that's most families), then that's going to influence where you go.

As for the notion of "best school," that's PR, not reality. For instance, the University of Delaware has a great chemical engineering program (swimming in DuPont donations) and it costs a lot less than what you say you're paying. Cooper Union's free.

I went to an expensive school myself and got a great education, but the truth is I could have gotten a great education in a lot of other places.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

As much as chemical engineers are in demand right now, graduating from any ABET accredited program will land you a quality job. Granted, some schools are better than others, but in that field, it doesn't matter where you go for undergrad so much. I've got at least a dozen chemE friends who now work at Dow and P&G who can attest to that.

Agreed on the bigger does not necessarily mean better. Small and private doesn't necessarily mean better either.

I really hope you enjoy paying off student loans. Every day I thank my lucky stars that I graduated debt free (I actually made money going to engineering school thanks to my co-op). I was originally headed to Purdue until a family member (owned his own engineering consulting company) told me to go to UC instead. He holds Purdue in high regard (and with good reason), but he told me I'd get as good of an education at UC, be professionally prepared upon graduation and graduate debt free. Considering I'm working along side Purdue grads now, he was right on all accounts. Had I not taken his advice, I'd be looking at more than 80K in student loans now.

Out of curiosity, which school are you attending? At 40K per year, I hope it's a school like RPI.

RPI is one of the schools I could have gone to for cheaper.

My school is Rose-Hulman Inst of Tech.

RPI is one of the schools I could have gone to for cheaper.

My school is Rose-Hulman Inst of Tech.
    There's three Rose-Hulman guys in my office. Good school.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    There's three Rose-Hulman guys in my office. Good school.
    Where do you work at?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    As for the notion of "best school," that's PR, not reality.
    And isn't it that "PR" that influences the employer's opinion?

Where do you work at?
    Wright-Patt.

Turn Off Ads?