Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: College Admissions are a joke

Re: College Admissions are a joke

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    And isn't it that "PR" that influences the employer's opinion?
    For law school, maybe. For engineering, not so much. Since there are so schools out there that do engineering well, job experience, academic performance and well-roundedness are the things that get a college grad hired (in my experience, anyways). A BS in engineering is little more than a piece of paper stating you are capable of learning difficult stuff quickly.

In my job search, I got offers from places located beyond UC's regional reputation/PR. I wouldn't have been given the light of day from them if I didn't have my co-op employer on my resume. I was able to leverage those offers against my current employer's offer. It added up to a 10% bump in starting salary. For these reasons, I'm a huge champion of the co-op model.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Got my university's quarterly alumni magazine in the mail yesterday.

this article seems relevant to the discussion here.

There are stories like this at colleges and universities all over the country.

While I can think of many different things to take from this specific story, it seems to me that the main message is this: Dream big, and if you really want something, then bust your butt to do whatever it takes to achieve it. If you sit back to wait for the world to give you something, you might be waiting a very long time.

Carpe Diem.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    And isn't it that "PR" that influences the employer's opinion?
    What paintmered said for the most part. I'd add biz school to law school on the list of places where it might matter. Elite schools have connections that will pay off for you. Yet we're talking post grad degrees here.

You could ace your way through a history major at a school which gives puts an attractive package in front of you, nail your GMAT/LSAT and then go for one of those elite biz/law schools without a mountain of debt to overcome.

BTW, I hire people on a regular basis. I pay zero attention to what college a person attended. I'll take note if they've got advanced degrees, but it's not a major influence in hiring someone (in fact we've found a lot of people who've only got an advanced degree aren't particularly adept at working in a deadline-driven environment - that applies to sales, marketing and IT as well as editorial/media staff). Our HR department doesn't score any extra points on your resume if you went to Harvard as opposed to Bridgewater State.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You could ace your way through a history major at a school which gives puts an attractive package in front of you, nail your GMAT/LSAT and then go for one of those elite biz/law schools without a mountain of debt to overcome.
    Case in point, one of my classmates was accepted into Harvard MBA. He was probably only 10th in my class as well (out of 45).
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?