Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Stanton getting back on track

Stanton getting back on track

Stanton getting back on track
    BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

SARASOTA, Fla. – Reliever Mike Stanton doesn’t make excuses. As much as he struggled last season, he always was available.

So it's in a matter-of-fact tone that Stanton talked about how his father's death affected him last year, when he went 1-3 with a 5.93 ERA in his first season as a Red.

“My father (Bill) was sick last year," he said. "I was going back and forth a lot. He ended up passing away the second week of January. That kind of made the offseason tough. Even after the funeral, you still have a motivation problem.”

This off-season has been better.

“I just had a much more consistent offseason as far as getting my workouts in,” he said.

Stanton, the 40-year-old left-hander, is under contract for $3 million this year, so it’s very likely that he’ll make the club.

Fortunately for the Reds, he seems to have found his old form this spring. In four of five outings, he’s held the opposition hitless and scoreless.

“It’s been a quiet spring,” Stanton said. “Physically I feel good. I’m throwing all right. I’m happy where I am right now.”

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...T04/303170104/

"Stanton is under contract for 3 million, so it's very likely he will make the club" This tells me all I need to know; Stanton will be on the 25 man roster to start the year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stanton getting back on track

Sorry to hear about his Dad. That can certainly be tough. Let's hope that roid boy can scrape out some crazy out of that arm since it seems like we're stuck with him till he totally implodes

Spring Training Stats mean nothing*

* except when a hitter is slugging over .200pts over his career avg.

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    Spring Training Stats mean nothing*

* except when a hitter is slugging over .200pts over his career avg.
    You have mentioned this on previous occasions, and I would be interested to hear your reasoning. Bailey had a bad spring, and will likely be sent to AAA. Did his poor spring mean nothing? Edwin had a poor spring, and will start on the 25 man roster. Votto also had a poor spring, and likely will start in AAA. I may start a thread on this in the future, on why some people seem to think poor spring stats matter for some players, but not for others. Burton also had a poor spring, and is considered a lock for the bullpen. I don't mind if spring training stats don't matter, but to be fair, they should not matter for everyone. You can't send some players to AAA because of poor ST stats, but let other players who performed equally bad in spring make the roster. There needs to be some consistancy.

stanton is full of malarkey

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    stanton is full of malarkey
    The man wouldn't lie about his own father passing away that's just morbid. I hope he has a good year and actually helps out the Reds this year instead of hurt them. But I hope he doesn't have enough innings that get him to pitch for the Reds next year.
    Most Vottomatic Player

As much as Redzone hates him I think Stanton could have a league average year as a LH reliever.

Of course there's Kent Mercker also in camp. Heck, Coutlangus might be better this year.

Bill Bray (if healthy) could be above-average... Affeldt is a question mark despite previous success.

Point is, no matter how many lefties we have in the pen, none of them are that good, or even great.

We still don't have a LOOGY who can come in late and blow left-handed power hitters away. Maybe Cout or Mercker but it's a stretch.

Fortunately for the Reds, he seems to have found his old form this spring. In four of five outings, he’s held the opposition hitless and scoreless.
    In those 5 outings,I wonder who he pitched to.It seems to me that the later innings in a spring training game feature a lot of hopeful minor league players.Did he ever get into a game to face the players that will be on a major league team?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    In those 5 outings,I wonder who he pitched to.It seems to me that the later innings in a spring training game feature a lot of hopeful minor league players.Did he ever get into a game to face the players that will be on a major league team?
    Of course. He was put into games early enough that there were still major leaguers left. He faced Bruntlett and Victorino with the Phillies; Damon, Molina, Jeter, and Abreu with the Yankees; and Hill, Zaun, Wells and Eckstein with the Blue Jays.

He ended up walking Abreu and Bruntlett, but promptly picked both off. Eckstein hit a weak little infield base hit off him that Phillips couldn't recover in time, and then he gave up a HR to (former Red) Buck Coats. Those were the only runs he's allowed so far, in just that one game.

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    Of course there's Kent Mercker also in camp. Heck, Coutlangus might be better this year.
    Mercker concerns me. As much as I like him, the guy can never stay healthy. Looking over his career info, he's been on the DL at least once every season since 1997. In addition to sitting out last year, he also sat out all of 2001 & 2002. Plus, this is the 2nd time he's coming back from major elbow surgery. I just don't see him making it through an entire season here.

IMO, the team would be better off with Bray, Affeldt and Stanton as the lefties in the pen.

Well.........I have to admit I feel bad about some of the negative comments I made about Stanton. I had no idea about his Dad.

I'll cut him some slack and see what he brings this season. I've been down that road and it is very tough mentally to deal with.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    You have mentioned this on previous occasions, and I would be interested to hear your reasoning. Bailey had a bad spring, and will likely be sent to AAA. Did his poor spring mean nothing? Edwin had a poor spring, and will start on the 25 man roster. Votto also had a poor spring, and likely will start in AAA. I may start a thread on this in the future, on why some people seem to think poor spring stats matter for some players, but not for others. Burton also had a poor spring, and is considered a lock for the bullpen. I don't mind if spring training stats don't matter, but to be fair, they should not matter for everyone. You can't send some players to AAA because of poor ST stats, but let other players who performed equally bad in spring make the roster. There needs to be some consistancy.
    Hardly. Just not reasonable to expect.

Baker's already chimed in on Votto, says he's a slow-starter and pointed to his 2007 April. No reason to think he will be sent to AAA. He's got too much upside, and his power and speed are light years ahead of Hatte. It's more likely Hatte gets traded than Votto starts in AAA.

ST stats aren't that important, but what the Coach SEES in ST definitely is.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Stanton and Hatte or Stanton and Freel for a right handed hitting catcher.

Is there a team out there we might forge a deal with? Wayne's got to be thinking along these lines.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Stanton and Hatte or Stanton and Freel for a right handed hitting catcher.

Is there a team out there we might forge a deal with? Wayne's got to be thinking along these lines.
    Agreed. With Affeldt going to the 'pen, we've suddenly got an abundance of Lefty Hurlers. Bray, Cout, heck even Mercker's looked good. We can't keep them all...

For sure in:
    Cordero
    Weathers
    Affeldt
    Belisle/Fogg - whichever doesn't get the 5th Rotation spot

Then fringe:
    Burton - too good last year to let this ST stop him
    Bray - He's looked good, but is he healthy enough to go North?
    Coffey - surprisingly fairly solid

Then fodder:
    Mercker
    Stanton
    Cout
    McBeth
    Salmon

probably only one of these guys, and if not, then you have to take one from the "fringe".

Tough choices indeed.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by shREDded29 View Post
    Of course. He was put into games early enough that there were still major leaguers left. He faced Bruntlett and Victorino with the Phillies; Damon, Molina, Jeter, and Abreu with the Yankees; and Hill, Zaun, Wells and Eckstein with the Blue Jays.

He ended up walking Abreu and Bruntlett, but promptly picked both off. Eckstein hit a weak little infield base hit off him that Phillips couldn't recover in time, and then he gave up a HR to (former Red) Buck Coats. Those were the only runs he's allowed so far, in just that one game.
    Thanks,maybe if he is used right he can contribute.

Turn Off Ads?