Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cubs snooker the Reds on an upgrade?

Cubs snooker the Reds on an upgrade?

Alright, I'm not over the Reds decision to leave Bruce south. I'll deal with it.

That means a platoon of Patterson/Hopper. Maybe I can deal with that. Probably not (for a lot of reasons like whenever Patterson leads off).

So my biases are out in the open.

That said, the Cubs just signed Reed Johnson to platoon in center. Johnson is an excellent corner defender but probably is miscast as a CFer (though he's likely roughly a neutral defender there if you believe Tango's defensive adjustments). Here's Johnson's career splits against lefties: .308/.371/.462. Here's what he has done in roughly 1700 PAs leading off: .290/.353/.423 (not too shabby). He's a gap hitter who would've loved GABP.

Norris Hopper is also miscast as a center fielder defensively. Here's his splits against lefties as a major leaguer: .386/.423/.492 in 132 AB. Looks awesome. However here's his totals for his 10 year career in the minors: .289/.343/.335. Here's his splits against lefties for his most advanced years in the minors: '05: .315/.355/.357; '06: .356/.375/.394. Really should we expect him to come close to matching his first 132 AB's against lefties in the majors as he moves forward?

Reed Johnson could've been a significant upgrade over Hopper as a platoon partner for Patterson as well as a legitimate lead off bat for those who are inclined to care a lot about "roles". He'd make a good bat off of the bench as well as a stellar defensive replacement in left as needed. He's the perfect roster glue IMHO.

So what say you? Am I wiggsers or did the Cubs just snooker the Reds on an upgrade because the Reds have too much bench chaff (Freel/Hopper) to consider such a move?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cubs snooker the Reds on an upgrade?

honestly I think the back problem is an issue. If Toronto thought he could be the pre-2007 Johnson they likely would have kept him.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    honestly I think the back problem is an issue. If Toronto thought he could be the pre-2007 Johnson they likely would have kept him.
    I think he was mostly a payroll casualty in Toronto made possible by Stewart being brought in.....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think he was mostly a payroll casualty in Toronto made possible by Stewart being brought in.....
    maybe but his numbers took a huge drop after the back injury. And back injuries are always an issue. $2M is chump change in this day and age. I guess we'll find out.

I am no fan of Hopper, think he is replacement level at best and is very unlikely to ever repeat 2007 but was not really big on going after a 30+ corner OF with back problems to platoon in center.

I was going to say the exact same thing. His back injury is definitely a legitimate concern. I know the team should try to patch up holes where they can, but I'm far more worried about the bullpen situation right now.

I saw Johnson in a couple of games last year. He's nothing special and has suffered a loss in range and mobility owing to the back problems. He might be OK parked in LF, but has to be viewed as a marginal stopgap in CF. Hopper had faster and smoother reflexes, at least in '07. Of course, we'll see how the two adjust to a new season.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I prefer Johnson/Patterson over Hopper/Patterson.

Freel/Patterson vs Johnson/Patterson is close to a wash, IMO, but I like Johnson slightly better than Freel head to head. I think Freel is more useful by playing multiple positions, but I think Johnson is better offensively.

Regardless, I have a feeling we'll be stuck with Hopper/Patterson, and won't get much of a return when we trade Freel.

Will this make Murton available?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Will this make Murton available?
    I read that they had been trying to deal him for Byrd(Texas). Murton sure doesn't figure to get many ABs ... and Freel/Hopper are redundant. The Reds need a RHB bat with more pop.

Turn Off Ads?