Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Gil

Re: Jerry Gil

I said this in another thread a couple days ago, but give me Jerry Gil pver Juan Castro. Castro brings nothing to the table. Gil, OTOH, is an upgrade with the glove (according to BA), provides some pop with the bat and speed on the bases, and has the ability to play numerous positions. Gil needs to drastically improve his plate discipline before he could ever be a regular but you gotta like the developing power. He's added about 15-20 pounds in the last two years and it showed in 2006 with his 27 homeruns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    We have Mario Soto and Edwin Encarnacion for that not to mention Juan Duran.
    And Francisco Cordero, Johnny Cueto, and Edinson Volquez.

I could see keeping Gil (or Green) over Castro because that player has to disappear once Gonzalez comes back.

There's no reason to think the Reds will go with less than 12 pitchers. At full strength, that leaves space for one backup catcher, Freel, Keppinger, Hopper and a 1B (Hatteberg if Votto gets the gig or Hatteberg's platoon partner if Votto doesn't). Castro's going to be cut at some juncture and Gil has options. Plus, it makes Juan Castro go away and I'd be in favor of keeping anyone to make that happen.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Gil, OTOH, is an upgrade with the glove (according to BA).

let me tell you about BA. BA doesn't know squat about gloves.

has anyone seen the guy play yet? Castro isn't much, but he catches the ball. I'm guessing that Gil's a bobbler. Also, he's listed at 6'3". Lots of guys that tall fill out and outgrow the position completely.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I could see keeping Gil (or Green) over Castro because that player has to disappear once Gonzalez comes back.

There's no reason to think the Reds will go with less than 12 pitchers. At full strength, that leaves space for one backup catcher, Freel, Keppinger, Hopper and a 1B (Hatteberg if Votto gets the gig or Hatteberg's platoon partner if Votto doesn't). Castro's going to be cut at some juncture and Gil has options. Plus, it makes Juan Castro go away and I'd be in favor of keeping anyone to make that happen.
    I agree about 12 pitchers, and Gil plays so many positions that he makes more sense than a guy like Castro (or Norris Hopper, frankly)

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    let me tell you about BA. BA doesn't know squat about gloves
    Agreed, especially at SS.

My take on Gil's defense is he plays way too much OF for a guy who's supposedly gifted at SS. He's likely all arm out there.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

My take on Gil's defense is he plays way too much OF for a guy who's supposedly gifted at SS. He's likely all arm out there.

Plus he doesn't have a cool nickname like "Manos de Oro".
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

maybe it goes back to OBM's post about his gaining 15-20 lbs. If he outgrew the position, and doesn't hit enough for third or CF, then it would explain his cheap trade price and all of the positions that he has played recently. Also, he's pretty tall to make the turn at second.

if princeton had been Arizona's farm director, Jerry Gil would be pitching right now.
    Is it too late? I'm thinking Brooks Kieschnik (sic)?

from Enquirer:

Gil, 25, intrigues Baker.

"He has everyday skills," Baker said.

from Enquirer:

everyday skills

file that one :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I think Gil has a chance, but its dependent on his ability to play SS. A bench these days needs to find 5 guys who can provide certain skills which are have to haves. You need some one with ability to play C, an IF who can play SS and an OF who can play CF. You need a RH Bat and a LH Bat. Its nice to have a small ball guy or two but a good bench also has some pop. That is going to be a difficult combination for the Reds to come up with since they have few players who possess multiples of these abilities.

1. Assume one spot goes to a back-up catcher, either Bako or Hanigan. It doesn't really matter much which one as far as the effect on the other spots, since the back-up catcher won't be a PH option.

2. The second need is a LHPH. It seems that out of the guys remaining there are three options, Option 1 is for Patterson to be the LHPH with somebody else being the CF. That won't happen. Option 2 is to add a starting catcher, keep Hanigan or Bako and let Javy be the LHPH. An upgrade would be nice but I think adding a catcher will be difficult. The most likely scenario has Votto making the team with he and Hatte sharing 1B and the LHPH role. This also fills at least part of the power requirement.

3. The remaining spots depend on which mix of abilities the players possess. Freel and Hopper are probably givens unless a trade happen. That fills the needs for RHPH, guys that can play CF and ability to play small ball.

4. That leaves one spot for Cabrera, Hairston, Castro, A. Phillips, Green, and Gil. The need for a SS eliminates Phillips, Hairston and Cabrera. Of the remaining guys, Gil fills the most needs. He can play SS, has RH Power, has speed, some small ball skill and can also play CF. He is OB challenged, but he's the best option of the remaining players. The Reds, typically IMO, will choose Castro. I don't think the others have a chance (maybe Green since he can play SS in a pinch) unless Freel or Hopper is moved.

The bench I'd choose out of the guys remaining:

Hanigan, Freel, Hatte, Gil, with the last spot between Green or Cabrera.

The bench the Reds likely choose barring a trade:

Bako, Castro, Hopper, Freel, Hatte.
    Last edited by mth123; 03-22-2008 at 07:09 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

from Enquirer:

After SEVEN minor league seasons he's got an OBP of .275. Baker sees a stud.

:all_cohol

"This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I like Gil's tools and versatility a lot. But he needs 500 ABs in Louisville in order to get himself ready to hit in the big leagues, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    After SEVEN minor league seasons he's got an OBP of .275. Baker sees a stud.

:all_cohol

Thing is this team doesn't need bench players that are guys to stand in for the starter for long stretches. If an OF gets hurt, Bruce is going to get the call. If an IF goes down, Keppinger is the guy. The bench guys needed on this team are guys that can do specific things to help the team win games. Gil can play anywhere in the IF and OF. He has the glove for SS or CF and the arm for RF. He has the speed to PR, the power to be a RH threat that this team lacks, and the versatility to allow the team to double switch at any point in the line-up which should help the pitching staff. If Gil was being considered as a starter in the line-up everyday, I'd agree that his primary OB and Slugging skills are lacking and I'd be barfing with you, but as a bench player, this team could do a lot worse. Gil's skillset lends itself to bench type roles where the secondary skills are more emphasized. I think he's the obvious choice as a back-up at SS now because of the other things he can add off a short bench. This is a team with 12 pitchers, a back-up catcher and a guy who can only play 1B -leaving room for only three guys to add all the things that a team needs it bench players to do. I prefer him to Castro or Hopper. Actually, I'd say only the back-up catcher, Freel and Hatte should be considered ahead of him and when Gonzalez comes back and Keppinger goes to the bench, Gil becomes the perfect jack-of-all-trades 25th man IMO.
    Last edited by mth123; 03-22-2008 at 09:58 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?