Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Balancing the Reds bullpen -- multi-inning guys

Balancing the Reds bullpen -- multi-inning guys

The Reds have improved the number of good relievers on the team. But, in making the final selections, I hope they realize the importance of guys who can pitch often, for more than one inning.

Weathers, Cordero, Burton, Stanton, Affeldt will likely be used for one inning at a time. I'm sure several of them can go more than one, but none of them fits the "workhorse" mode of an innings eater. (Burton might, but the Reds likely will use him as a late inning set up man. Affeldt was effective pitching short stints last year for the Rockies.)

Bray can be a multi-inning guy. I thought the Reds suffered last year because he wasn't around due to injury.

The remaining spot? I wouldn't mind if Coffey got a shot at it. He can pitch two innings and can do it often.

If Coffey and Bray are on their game, this will be enormously beneficial to the Reds. When a starter has to leave in the fifth or sixth, it's great if you can put in an effective reliever for two innings. Switching relievers every inning leads to a worn out bullpen.

I'd prefer this type of innings-eater over a sixth starter for long relief. The sixth starter usually doesn't get to pitch very often and is really an insurance policy. I'd rather have the insurance policy in AAA.

So, I'm rooting for Coffey to continue to pitch well and to get the last spot in the bullpen.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-18-2008 at 05:56 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Balancing the Reds bullpen -- multi-inning guys

If you are not going to get 30 complete games in a season (and I don't think that ever happens anymore), you are going to use your bullpen almost every night. That means that you almost need two bullpens. One for every other game.

So I can see a situation where Weathers, Coffey and Affeldt for the "B" team and Cordero, Burton and Bray form the "A" team. I think Stanton gets used only when a starter gets bombed early or when Baker gets heavy duty into using his left handers to face LH hitters (as in when he actually uses two or three pitchers in one inning).

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    If you are not going to get 30 complete games in a season (and I don't think that ever happens anymore), you are going to use your bullpen almost every night. That means that you almost need two bullpens. One for every other game.

So I can see a situation where Weathers, Coffey and Affeldt for the "B" team and Cordero, Burton and Bray form the "A" team. I think Stanton gets used only when a starter gets bombed early or when Baker gets heavy duty into using his left handers to face LH hitters (as in when he actually uses two or three pitchers in one inning).
    I like this approach because it builds in rest for each guy.

Another way to do it is: innings 5-6 usually Coffey or Bray.

innings 7-9 usually Burton, Weathers,
    Cordero

extra lefty needed early -- Stanton

extra lefty needed late -- Affeldt

It looks like they'll go with 12 pitchers so they'll likely have a spot for Coffey plus either Fogg or Belisle.

If you are not going to get 30 complete games in a season (and I don't think that ever happens anymore), you are going to use your bullpen almost every night.
    I noticed in that FSN flashback game from the '75 WS that the Reds were last in the league with only 22 complete games. My how things have changed

David Weathers went 3 innings the other day and routinely pitched more than 1 last year. Stanton pitched more than one inning 8 times last year. I don't think we're going to have a problem covering the innings. The problem is the quality of the guys being asked to pitch at all, be it for 2 innings, or 2 batters.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I am sure rooting for Kent Mercker to make this BP.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    David Weathers went 3 innings the other day and routinely pitched more than 1 last year. Stanton pitched more than one inning 8 times last year. I don't think we're going to have a problem covering the innings. The problem is the quality of the guys being asked to pitch at all, be it for 2 innings, or 2 batters.
    Weathers' performance notably falls off after an inning, at least it did last year as I recall. He is not a multi-inning guy. There is Stanton, if you want him for that role. He wouldn't be my choice to be the workhorse at this stage.

I don't think you put long-time veterans like Weathers and Stanton in that role.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think to further that in the spring they want to get the relief pitchers as much live work as possible. I think Weathers will be used as a roving type pitcher who pitches in the most critical position before the 9th. I also think you will see Burton begin to take over the closer dutys when Cordero needs a day off.

I think the pen will look like this.
    Cordero
    Burton
    Weathers
    Bray
    Stanton
    Affeldt
    Belisle

I think Coffee in the pen really depends on what the reds do with Belisle. I heard Brantley on the radio yesterday say that the organization was disappointed with Belisle. I can see Belisle being traded but as of now I think they put him in the pen early in the season as the long guy, especially with both Volquez and Cueto in the rotation.

Turn Off Ads?