Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fay - Freel being shopped?? My trade thoughts.

Fay - Freel being shopped?? My trade thoughts.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...umors-mill.asp

Offer Freel, Belisle and A baller to Seattle for Johjima. Seattle has super prospect Jeff Clement in the waiting. I would rather target Clement, but Seattle would not go for it.

Just a thought.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fay - Freel being shopped?? My trade thoughts.

Don't know if that would be enough, but the Reds absolutely MUST improve their catching situation b/c it currently sucks badly.

what about seeking Benji Molina away from the Giants.

Molina's a good catcher, but I think the Giants would ask too much for a 33 year old catcher that's going downhill.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Johjima is a FA after this year. Also Seattle has a full rotation and don't need Belisle. They also have a full OF and don't need Freel. There are no needs for Seattle that fit the Reds.

Just sign Piazza. It's that simple. He can be a RH pinch hitter off the bench, and probably a decent one. He's no worse than Valentine or Bako behind the plate, and he's actually very good at handling pitchers. Seriously.... would anyone rather have Bako over Piazza?

Ya know, signing Piazza sort of makes sense... Would split up the leftys... Giving the Reds another Right Handed Power bat other than Phillips...

But he is probably holding out for like 8 Million a Year

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Ya know, signing Piazza sort of makes sense... Would split up the leftys... Giving the Reds another Right Handed Power bat other than Phillips...

But he is probably holding out for like 8 Million a Year
    I don't think he'd waid this long, and still be looking for that kind of money. I think he'll settle about where Kyle Lohse did.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Piazza also has quite a bit of experience at 1st base if Votto struggles against southpaws. I just don't like the thought of Piazza and Javy as the catchers. Teams would run on them all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    Piazza also has quite a bit of experience at 1st base if Votto struggles against southpaws. I just don't like the thought of Piazza and Javy as the catchers. Teams would run on them all day.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...ntext=fielding

Checkout Piazza's caught stealing percentages for his career. Not pretty.

Piazza was not a very good defensive first baseman in his limited experience there.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post

Checkout Piazza's caught stealing percentages for his career. Not pretty.
    And now the others...

Notice the CERA also.

I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but what about trading Bailey for Jarrod Saltalamacchia?

Salty is pretty good defensively, and can swing the stick pretty well. The Rangers will definitely be looking for pitching any way that they could get it, and I'm sure they'd jump at a chance to get Bailey.

From Rotoworld:

According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Reds are actively seeking a catcher and could offer Ryan Freel.
    The Reds want some help because of Dave Ross's injury, and Freel, who is owed $7 million over the next two years, has been available since the end of last season. About the only Freel-for-catching deal that would make sense would have him go to San Diego for Michael Barrett. No other team has both an expendable catcher and a need for Freel in their lineup. Perhaps the Reds should simply sign Mike Piazza. They're in a division that doesn't do a lot of basestealing anyway.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...lter_teams=CIN

Injuries curtailed Barrett's career, but he could be a good catcher if he can recover from the injuries

Is there any major league catcher with a huge contract that some team would like to unload? Taking on a big contract is probably the only way the Reds will find someone to take Freel.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post

Injuries curtailed Barrett's career, but he could be a good catcher if he can recover from the injuries
    Injuries from Zambrano's fist?
    Yeah, that's just what they need, a catcher so bad his pitcher beat the crap out of him and got him kicked off the team. If you want yet another reason for Cubs fans to laugh at the Reds, Barrett would be a great idea.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Turn Off Ads?