Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What position does the 25th man play?

What position does the 25th man play?

The way I see it, the 25th man on this roster can be a 12th pitcher, a 6th outfielder/infielder, or a 3rd catcher. If I knew how to do a Poll, I would create one, but I think the answers and discussion can just be in a regular thread.

Part B, based on your choice, who is the player?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What position does the 25th man play?

12 pitchers is a given on this team. They've had 12 for the last several years.

the Reds have so many good multi-positional players that they can afford to go 12 pitchers.

I know I saw at least one article early in ST where Baker talked about going with 11 or even as few as 10 pitchers. He said he might need 3 catchers.

If Cueto and Volquez are going to be good enough for the Reds to compete, I think they will make 12 pitchers as waste. Of course, if they struggle, 13 pitchers might not be enough.

I want to see the Reds keep Freel and Hopper and Patterson. I also hope that Keppinger is the starting SS. Hopefully, there will be a replacement for Ross not named Bako before March 31.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    the Reds have so many good multi-positional players that they can afford to go 12 pitchers.
    As long as they don't carry 3 catchers. Or carry Juan Castro past the point Gonzalez gets back.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Ladies and Gentlemen, your 25th man, who will receive waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much playing time in 2008.....

Juan Castro.

Castro's not the 25th man; he's the 22nd or 23rd. Sad but true. The in-game radio discussion yesterday was what backup infielder to carry in addition to Castro.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I think 12 pitchers is a given.

Spares will be a catcher, Hopper/Patterson/Freel (2 spares,1 starts),Hatteberg and Castro.

Castro goes when Gonzalez comes back.

Is it possible we go with 11 pitchers. With Baker,yes it's possible. That allows an extra catcher,or Castro to stay when Gonzalez comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I think 12 pitchers is a given.

Spares will be a catcher, Hopper/Patterson/Freel (2 spares,1 starts),Hatteberg and Castro.

Castro goes when Gonzalez comes back.

Is it possible we go with 11 pitchers. With Baker,yes it's possible. That allows an extra catcher,or Castro to stay when Gonzalez comes back.
    I think it is possible that the Reds could go with 11 pitchers, since two of them (Affeldt from the left side and either Fogg or Belisle from the right) are pitchers who can throw multiple innings, thus saving the rest of the bullpen.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    As long as they don't carry 3 catchers. Or carry Juan Castro past the point Gonzalez gets back.
    it wouldn't surprise to see them carry three catchers-- with the third a top developer of kids-- at least early, while the young pitchers are breaking in. If another wave of youth (eg Matt Maloney or Homer Bailey or Roenicke or Lutz or Viola) seems destined to break in quickly, that third catcher may last the season

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Hopper's on bubble, I suspect. The Reds could use an OFer with an arm to sub defensively in RF for Jr. Might be Jerry Gil, who has the arm, and plays many other positions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Castro's not the 25th man; he's the 22nd or 23rd. Sad but true. The in-game radio discussion yesterday was what backup infielder to carry in addition to Castro.
    How could we possibly need anyone else other then the great Juan Castro?
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?