Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What do Spring Training Stats Mean?

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

What do Spring Training Stats Mean?

I'm trying to figure this out. It appears if a starting lineup had to be put on the field today, it would consist of:

1B - Scott Hatteberg - .394
    2B - Brandon Phillips - .235
    SS - Juan Castro - .296
    3B - Jeff Keppinger - .361
    LF - Adam Dunn - .214
    CF - Ryan Freel - .378
    RF - Ken Griffey Jr. - .286
    C - Paul Bako - .304
    (Phillips, Griffey, and Dunn added just because they will)

Freel has been given more chances at bat than anyone (37) but Bruce (39), which given their statistics (Freel has him in average by .378 to .254, and has shown more RBI's and hits) it would appear that Bruce might not be with the big club in a couple of weeks. That's sad. Encarnacion is on the interstate and Votto is likewise. The pitching is a mystery with Bailey and Beslile getting lit up among potential starters and Majewski and Affeldt doing the same in the bullpen. What does it mean?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Re: What do Spring Training Stats Mean?

almost nothing
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

"Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    1B - Scott Hatteberg - .394
    2B - Brandon Phillips - .235
    SS - Juan Castro - .296
    3B - Jeff Keppinger - .361
    LF - Adam Dunn - .214
    CF - Ryan Freel - .378
    RF - Ken Griffey Jr. - .286
    C - Paul Bako - .304
    (Phillips, Griffey, and Dunn added just because they will)
    Where do you get Kepp at 3B? Has he even been mentioned as an option there? He may have played a few games there durring ST but lots of utility guys get reps at different spots during spring. Doesn't mean they are being handed the position. I don't recall anything to suggest EE wasn't going to be at 3B.

I can see Kepp at SS over Castro, but I'll grant you that with Dusty at the helm + the Reds love of Castro it's not unreasonable to suggest he'll get lots of time at SS until Gonzo returns.

You might as well pencil in Patterson in CF, not Freel. A Patterson/Hopper combo is far more likely IMO. Check out all the various news stories that have been posted in other threads.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 03-19-2008 at 08:27 AM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Patterson, Griffey and Dunn in the outfield, with Bruce to AAA
    Hatteberg at first with Votto going to AAA until he gets his stroke back
    BP at 2nd
    Kepp at SS with Castro the first IF sub
    EE at third (Dusty doesn't care about his slow start - he's a vet, with Joey, however, it matters)
    Ross, Bako and Javy - unless they get a trade done
    Freel, Hopper and Green on the bench??

The bench positions are fluid but he starters are, imo, pretty much set for Dusty right now. I think he likes Votto but will send him down to start just to get his stroke going at AAA then bring him up later.

Bako is #2 behind Ross and may even end up #1 with Dusty. He has veteran presence and can handle the kids.

If they've targeted Laird you have to wonder if Bailey is being dangled. Home to Texas, a young arm to replace Volquez, with Laird coming to Cincy and I'd hope, a young prospect arm as well. If so, I don't like it. Texas is desperate for pitching (again). I'd rather see Belisle for Laird but the Reds may feel they have to overpay at this point, especially if Dusty is really unhappy with Ross/Bako/Javy and tells Wayne they won't get it done.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Where do you get Kepp at 3B? Has he even been mentioned as an option there? He may have played a few games there durring ST but lots of utility guys get reps at different spots during spring. Doesn't mean they are being handed the position. I don't recall anything to suggest EE wasn't going to be at 3B.

I can see Kepp at SS over Castro, but I'll grant you that with Dusty at the helm + the Reds love of Castro it's not unreasonable to suggest he'll get lots of time at SS until Gonzo returns.

You might as well pencil in Patterson in CF, not Freel. A Patterson/Hopper combo is far more likely IMO. Check out all the various news stories that have been posted in other threads.
    I was going by what they had done in the spring and the number of at-bats they had been given. I don't think any of this has been mentioned. I still say that Dusty will play Freel most of the time in CF if he's still here come Opening Day, but you can bet that Castro will see plenty of playing time, something I cannot understand. I guess a good personality and a reputation go a long way with the Reds. I can't imagine any other club even having Juan on their roster.

Too few plate appearances upon which to make a life and death decision, but by opening day, the ability to get on base by hitting the ball in addition to having a batting eye that produces walks might have the "most" meaning among ST's small sample of ABs -- at least for those who did not come to camp already having a lock on a roster spot.

Here is OBP for the top guys having at least 10 AB:

Player -------- AB ----- OBP

Jerry Gil --11 --1.000
    Andy Green 28 --0.786
    Jerry Hairston --13 --0.692
    Scott Hatteberg --34 --0.559
    Corey Patterson --22 --0.545
    Craig Tatum --13 --0.538
    Adam Rosales --28 --0.500
    Drew T. Anderson --34 --0.500
    Ken Griffey --29 --0.483
    Brandon Phillips --38 --0.447