Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A's wanted Cueto

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: A's wanted Cueto

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    Oh sure....call me crazy just like everybody else does.....

I just believe there are times when overpaying a little is justified. Blanton is a 200 inning pitcher......they are worth a lot more than you guys give credit for.

People call me crazy b/c I'd send Bailey, Wood and Stubbs to Oakland for Blanton.

Blanton would easily be our #3, regardless of how the kids perform.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    People call me crazy b/c I'd send Bailey, Wood and Stubbs to Oakland for Blanton.

Did you see the numbers Affeldt put up in his last two ST starts? Blanton would be more of that.

Thanks, But I'll bet the round FCB owes the board that if Belisle makes the rotation, and I believe he will over Fogg who is flat AWFUL, that he'll put up right at 200 IP this year.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Did you see the numbers Affeldt put up in his last two ST starts? Blanton would be more of that.

Thanks, But I'll bet the round FCB owes the board that if Belisle makes the rotation, and I believe he will over Fogg who is flat AWFUL, that he'll put up right at 200 IP this year.
    "Make it so"
    "Is there a problem officers?"

You can not possibly compare Joe Blanton to Jeremy Affeldt. I can see you not wanting to trade the kids, but there's no reason to tear down a pretty good major league pitcher. The number's speak for themselves my friend, and they sure as heck say he's no Affeldt.

No, they say he's likely a product of his home park. The numbers say he gets killed on the road. The numbers say he thrives on having a good to great defense behind him and that he may benefit from a park with a large foul territory. The numbers say he doesn't K a lot of batters.

The numbers say he's as bad a fit for the Reds as Affeldt is for the rotation. That said if I were an Oakland fan, I'd be ok with him as my #4-5 starter. He does eat inning, as an A, and for them, in their park, with their defense, he's a good fit.
    Suck it up cupcake.

I love when guys like Rosenthal come out with these kind of revelations. Of course the A's asked for some of the big 4 prospects. Beane is a competant GM. I'd be more interested to learn that he didn't ask for one of them for one of the higher pitchers on the market in the offseason.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Cueto for Blanton?

Sorry, just fell out of my chair. I'm alright now. Please go on with the discussion.

(Joe Blanton's mother thinks that would be a bad trade for the Reds.)

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I'm not so sure that Blanton would be the third best pitcher in the rotation this year. At least not after the course of the season. He's got very good control, so he'd probly do alright for himself, but to say that "regardless of how the kids perform" suggests that even at Cueto and Volquez's best, they can't touch Blanton. That may be true for Harang, but certainly not Joe Blanton, IMO.

No, they say he's likely a product of his home park. The numbers say he gets killed on the road. The numbers say he thrives on having a good to great defense behind him and that he may benefit from a park with a large foul territory. The numbers say he doesn't K a lot of batters.

The numbers say he's as bad a fit for the Reds as Affeldt is for the rotation. That said if I were an Oakland fan, I'd be ok with him as my #4-5 starter. He does eat inning, as an A, and for them, in their park, with their defense, he's a good fit.
    Put Jeremy Affelt in Oakland's ballpark and he's still an awful pitcher.

My point wasn't about the number of innings, but the production yielded from the innings.

Given Blanton and Belisle both pitch 200 IP in 2008, IMO Blanton will produce better, more productive numbers than Belisle.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I'm not so sure that Blanton would be the third best pitcher in the rotation this year. At least not after the course of the season. He's got very good control, so he'd probly do alright for himself, but to say that "regardless of how the kids perform" suggests that even at Cueto and Volquez's best, they can't touch Blanton. That may be true for Harang, but certainly not Joe Blanton, IMO.
    I'd rather have Cueto and Volquez be labeled the 4/5, and not put unrealistic pressure on them. We can reasonably expect and demand better than 4/5 numbers from Blanton, whereas with essentially 2 rookies in the rotation, while I hope they will succeed and believe they will, I don't want them having some unrealistic expectation(s) over their heads.

I wouldn't be surprised if Volquez and Cueto put up similar and or better numbers than Blanton in 2008, but I don't want to expect and demand those kids to pitch as well if not better than Blanton from day 1.

IMO, once you start tossing numbered labels at your SPs, then you automatically assign levels of expectation to each respective SP.

Turn Off Ads?