Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Car's Too Friggin' Long

The Car's Too Friggin' Long

My daughter, who has had her license just over 6 months, has joined to the ranks of the ticketed.

It seems that upon leaving school this afternoon she rear-ended another student. There was a line of cars waiting to turn onto the main road. So as each car was able to make the turn the line would creep forward.

My daughter creeped too far and bumped the car in front of her. There was no damage to either car. The girls got out, surveyed the situation, exchanged information and went on their way. But when the girl got home her Mother made her call the police, who in turn came out to each house to file a report.

In the long run, my daughter got sighted for failure to assure a clear distance.

What was funny was listening to her "explain" to me what had happened. When I finally got all the info out of her, I told her that whenever you rear-end someone it's your fault and you're going to get sighted.

Her response?.....

"It's not my fault Dad! The car's too friggin long!"

All I can say is.....She's a blonde. :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Car's Too Friggin' Long

I have a short car if you wanna trade.

Go Gators!

That's a Matchbox!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Car...too long? Let her drive what I drive for a while.

You just made my night. Glad to hear no one or car was hurt.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    But when the girl got home her Mother made her call the police, who in turn came out to each house to file a report.

In the long run, my daughter got sighted for failure to assure a clear distance.
    Gee thanks mom, always nice to donate cash to the courts when it wasn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    Gee thanks mom, always nice to donate cash to the courts when it wasn't necessary.
    I thought the same thing too. On one hand I can understand her wanting to get a police report to protect themselves because they don't know anything about the other party involved in the accident.

But her actions ended up getting my daughter sighted, and she now has to appear in juvenile court. Thanks Mom.

My daughter said the other car was packed with six teenage girls in it, and not one of them had their seatbelts on. So they are lucky, in that sense, that the didn't stay at the scene and wait for the police to come and do the report, or else someone else would have been sighted.

But her actions ended up getting my daughter sighted, and she now has to appear in juvenile court. Thanks Mom.
    Yeah, well maybe it will serve some good down the road, I know my one and only visit to juvenile court over speed sharpened my senses.

Yeah, well maybe it will serve some good down the road, I know my one and only visit to juvenile court over speed sharpened my senses.
    Thats what I told my daughter. It's a "learning" life lesson. Take this situation, see what you did was wrong, which was not paying attention, and take corrective action for future reference. I've taught my kids - in fact I've drilled it into them - be a defensive driver, not an offfensive one. Always be on the lookout because you don't know what the "other guy" is going to do.

I wish that could have been my way to learn about "failure to assure a clear distance". My senior year of high school I was going with a group of about 20 friends to a Reds game and about 15 miles from GABP I slammed my Honda Accord into the back of a Ford Explorer. I was going about 40 and got distracted with 4 other people in the car. Lesson learned, just wish I would have thought about that excuse when my dad was asking me what happened haha.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Was she blind before?

I thought the same thing too. On one hand I can understand her wanting to get a police report to protect themselves because they don't know anything about the other party involved in the accident.

My daughter said the other car was packed with six teenage girls in it, and not one of them had their seatbelts on. So they are lucky, in that sense, that the didn't stay at the scene and wait for the police to come and do the report, or else someone else would have been sighted.
    I had a similar situation happen when I was in high school. We always left school and crept down the main road for about 2 miles. Undoubtedly at least once a week someone would rear end someone with all the kids being distracted. One day I was rear ended. Funny thing was it was by my best friend and our families were best friends too. Since the police in my hometown were notorious for citing any possible violations, especially with young drivers, I knew he was toast. Right after it happened he started to get out to see what happened but it was a light tap so I waved him back in and told him to follow me home (and definitely saved him a ticket). We got to my house and surveyed the damage. I had a 1/2" scratch on my bumper while he had hit right on his front light so he ended up having a few hundred in damage. I still make fun of him to this day about how much better my "foreign made POS" (as all my friends liked to call it) stood up his dependable ol' Chevy. Good times.

Can't a person just go down to the police station and fill out a report on their own? I don't think it's necessary to dial 911 and have an officer visit the alleged offender.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

We tend to get fewer repeat customers on the traffic stuff.

GAC, you're daughter is lucky on the license thing -- there's a new law on the books that requires the court to impose a mandatory "accompaniment" restriction on any minor that gets convicted on a moving violation prior to age 17 and within the first 6 months of having his/her license. The restriction requires the juvenile to be accompanied by a parent whenever they drive -- effectively ending any driving other than "practice" driving.

If she's had her license longer than 6 months, she's all good on that end.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 03-20-2008 at 01:04 AM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Was she blind before?
    I think the OP meant was looking for "cited."

Turn Off Ads?