Corey Patterson CF
    Jeff Keppinger SS
    Ken Griffey Jr. RF
    Brandon Phillips 2B
    Adam Dunn LF
    Edwin Encarnacion 3B
    Scott Hatteberg 1B
    Javier Valentin C
    The skinny: This is assumes that Alex Gonzalez and David Ross begin the year on the disabled list. The only questions here are center field and first base. Patterson seems to have won the job in center with a good spring (.455 average) and he’s Baker’s guy. Norris Hopper will likely get a lot time against left-handers. Baker likes Joey Votto a lot. But Hatteberg’s hitting .382; Votto’s hitting .158. The Reds may want Votto to his bat going in AAA.

The bench
    Norris Hopper
    Ryan Freel
    Juan Castro
    Paul Bako
    Andy Green
    The skinny: I’m confident on the first four. Green, Jolbert Cabrera, Jerry Gil, Drew Anderson, Jerry Hairston and Andy Phillips all have made strong cases for the 25th man spot.

Starting rotation
    Aaron Harang
    Bronson Arroyo
    Johnny Cueto
    Edinson Volquez
    Josh Fogg
    The skinny: Homer Bailey and Matt Belisle have options. They’ll be a phone call way should Cueto, Volquez or Fogg falter.

The bullpen
    Francisco Cordero
    David Weathers
    Jared Burton
    Mike Stanton
    Bill Bray
    Todd Coffey
    Jeremy Affeldt
    The skinny: The Reds would like to keep Kent Mercker in the mix. He’d probably make the club if Stanton didn’t have a guaranteed contract. There’s also a chance Belisle could be shifted to relief.
    Corey Patterson, Norris Hopper, Ryan Freel, Paul Bako, Juan Castro, and Andy Green. That would be half of the Reds position players. That is just ugly. The Reds desperatley need to trade for a catcher by shipping Ryan Freel out, and I'd rather see just about anybody but Juan Castro and Andy Green on the roster.

The offense may not be as good as some people think if that ends up being the way things shake out.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fay's 25 Man Roster Prediction-Ugly

My biggest concerns about Fay's predictions are Castro and the catching situation. How anyone thinks Juan Castro has any actual value is truly mind boggling to me. He is not a five tool player, but a zero tool player. He does nothing well.

That catching situation is rough but can't blame Fay for that. If a move is not made before Opening Day thats the way its going to be with Bako/Valentin. That is really scary.

Here was Fay's predictions pre-spring training.

Starting eight
    1B Joey Votto
    2B Brandon Phillips
    SS Alex Gonzalez
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    RF Ken Griffey Jr.
    CF Jay Bruce
    LF Adam Dunn
    C David Ross

Bench:
    OF/INF Jeff Keppinger
    OF/INF Ryan Freel
    OF Norris Hopper
    C Javier Valentin
    1B Scott Hatteberg

Rotation:
    Aaron Harang
    Bronson Arroyo
    Matt Belisle
    Jeremy Affeldt
    Homer Bailey

Bullpen:
    Francisco Cordero
    David Weathers
    Jared Burton
    Bill Bray
    Mike Stanton
    Todd Coffey
    Edinson Volquez
    So he has since changed 60% of the starting rotation and 50% of the starting lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Hey Fay what about Belisle?

The bench is bad.....NO POWER at all. I think Baker will want at least some options along those lines and I think Fay is missing that point. I also do NOT see how you remove a guy hitting .380 in ST and is a professional hitter from your bench by sending Votto down and relying on Hatteberg to start.

Another thing I don't think Baker will do.

So Votto stays, Hatteberg stays on the bench and I think one of Cabrera, Gil or Phillips makes the squad.

I also believe that the media is greatly over estimating the moeny issues here. Castelinni has shown that he is willing to eat money......Freel, Stanton and Castro's contract will have no impact on the roster (IMHO).
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    My biggest concerns about Fay's predictions are Castro and the catching situation. How anyone thinks Juan Castro has any actual value is truly mind boggling to me. He is not a five tool player, but a zero tool player. He does nothing well.

That catching situation is rough but can't blame Fay for that. If a move is not made before Opening Day thats the way its going to be with Bako/Valentin. That is really scary.

So another post dissing Castro. Guy has stayed in the major leagues a long time for a zero tool player who does nothing well.

He's the third string shortstop. The main guy is injured and Honus Wagner is unavailable.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-19-2008 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Here was Fay's predictions pre-spring training.

So he has since changed 60% of the starting rotation and 50% of the starting lineup.
    Not to defend Fay, but two of those four starting lineup changes are due to injuries. Also, for better or worse, Patterson has since been signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    So another post dissing Castro. Guy has stayed in the major leagues a long time for a zero tool player who does nothing well.

He's the third string shortstop. The main guy is injured and Honus Wagner is unavailable.
    As long as the Reds continue making stupid roster decisions, it's up to us to point them out.

The moment they wake up and the horrible Juan Castro is no longer a part of this team will be the exact moment when his glaring suckitude will no longer be discussed ad nauseum on RedsZone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Juan Castro is a great example of how meaningless ST stats can be...

His actual, in-season stats indicate that he shouldn't be on the roster...bench or not. Bench players are supposed to be guys who can light a spark on an as needed basis....Juan Castro does not resemble that remark. Starters are supposed to have a consistancy of productivity...that's not him either...

He's never had a lot of pop in his bat, but at one time had the defense to make up for it...now he has no pop, and his defensive skills have declined...that's what happens. Add an arm injury, and I can't imagine him getting any better
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 03-19-2008 at 10:28 PM.

Ok, so there are some obvious negatives listed by Fay: Castro, Bako, Green, Stanton, no Votto. If that was the actual bench, and thankfully it won't be, it could possibly go down as one of the worst in history.

But enough with the negatives. I'm pretty excited about the team. The starting 8 and the lineup are pretty good. The starting 5 is the best the Reds have put out there in nearly 2 decades. And while the bullpen isn't the Nasty Boys it does have some good arms and is solidified with Cordero.

I'm optimistic about this team. I do want to see Freel traded, Stanton released, Castro turned into a bench coach, a new catcher, and Votto start at 1B. Hopefully, and I believe, most of those will happen sooner rather than later. If not, my optimism could quickly fade away.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

"If we win our first 30....35 games, we're gonna be in first place."

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    "If we win our first 30....35 games, we're gonna be in first place."
    I agree...

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

There isn't a single bench player in that proposed roster that I'd want to see coming to the plate in the bottom of the 9th with the team needing a run.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

I think Phillips, Cabrera and Hatteberg make up a pretty decent 9th inning. You also have Freel and Hopper to get something started eariler on.....and eventually Valentin and Keppinger/Gonzo joins in. So, I don't think the bench HAS TO BE that bad.....unless you let a reporter worried about a couple a million of a multi-millionaire's money make out the roster.

Not going to keep Andy Green over Votto and Castro is just a place holder for Gonzalez.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?