Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does it matter that all five of your starters are right-handed?

Does it matter that all five of your starters are right-handed?

Was thinking about this the other day... does this really matter? How much does it matter to not have any lefties in your starting rotation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Re: Does it matter that all five of your starters are right-handed?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Was thinking about this the other day... does this really matter? How much does it matter to not have any lefties in your starting rotation?
    Hate to say it... matters if your team has a series against the REDS and you do not have a LH pitcher to face them.

:
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

nope
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

It matters not, just like having 2 or more lefties in a row in your lineup.
    Go Gators!

better to have different looks. It messes up some hitters. Reds are a bit too similar, which helps some hitters.

but, it's what we have

Ideally you'd like to have a junk balling left hander in there like Maloney or Livingston but right now we don't have that. This is not ideal but it is what it is for now.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'd love to see some study which suggests the other starters actually benefit from the presence of the other handed starter, or somebody with a different repertoire.

It passes the initial sniff test, but give me the 5 best starters in general. Sure, if I face a very lefty heavy team, I'd like to have a lefty, but just generically having one in the rotation for the sake of it seems like a stretch.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    It passes the initial sniff test, but ...
    you're always fighting the force

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    better to have different looks. It messes up some hitters. Reds are a bit too similar, which helps some hitters.

but, it's what we have
    Yep, throw a Browning in between a couple of FB pitchers and it helps all of them, toss an Arroyo in there with his odd arm slots and the next day a up and in FB pitcher and watch them feed of the mindset they create in the lineup over those two days.

Throw Josh Fogg in there the day after Arroyo and watch them feast.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    It passes the initial sniff test, but give me the 5 best starters in general. Sure, if I face a very lefty heavy team, I'd like to have a lefty, but just generically having one in the rotation for the sake of it seems like a stretch.
    That's my general thought as well. Unless of course, your 5 best starters are really bad. In that case give me a least a junk balling righty, if not left hander, to break up the rest of the rotation. I agree that there's probably not much difference, but if your rotation is that bad- try anything!
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Diversity would be nice. I do believe it helps to keep the opposing teams off balance with platooning and batting order changes. It would be less of a problem if the bullpen could serve to balance out the starting rotation. This bullpen, at least the likely-to-be-effective part of it, is also decidedly righthanded.

At least, however, 4/5ths of the starting rotation has talent, which is more than the Reds have been able to boast for a number of years. So, while maybe not ideal, it is not something that has me too worried.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep, throw a Browning in between a couple of FB pitchers and it helps all of them, toss an Arroyo in there with his odd arm slots and the next day a up and in FB pitcher and watch them feed of the mindset they create in the lineup over those two days.

Throw Josh Fogg in there the day after Arroyo and watch them feast.
    So what you are saying is that Arroyo and Fogg will help this rotation IF they are not back to back...

Just as much as a lefty would?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    So what you are saying is that Arroyo and Fogg will help this rotation IF they are not back to back...

Just as much as a lefty would?
    Fogg.. probably not, but an Arroyo after a flame thrower can be just as effective in messing up a batter as a LH.

All righties and the opponent sets his lineup for the whole series but thats a minor point. Just go with the best 5 arms - why use a lefty just to have a lefty? Lefthanders give a different look to hitters, too which can be a bit of a help but as WoY pointed out a crafty RH like Arroyo can do the same thing mixed between a couple flamethrowers. I think puca's point that a couple good lefties in the pen can help a lot (force lineup changes in lefty heavy lineups, change hitters adjustments, etc) is valid. A healthy Bray could be huge and if Affeldt is going to help it will be from the pen, the only place he's ever been effective (thank goodness Dusty kyboshed the Jeremy as starter thing early). All in all, though, I'll take the 5 starters the Reds have, with Fogg/Belisle, Bailey and Maloney as depth. After the rotations of last decade who cares if they're a RH bunch? There's some talent there, and some depth - something that really worried me in January.

I don't think it is that big of an difference. You sure don't want to pitch a lefty who isn't in the top 5 because you feel the need to have a lefty in your rotation. I think that the righty righty, lefty lefty matchups have been exagerated over the past few years. You play the best hitter no matter what and you pitch the best pitcher.

Turn Off Ads?