Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TJ to join Chad in the "no show" category

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

TJ to join Chad in the "no show" category

NFL.com:

Cincinnati wide receiver Chad Johnson already has stated he does not plan to attend the Bengals' voluntary offseason conditioning program that starts Monday.

But he is not going to be alone.

Cincinnati’s other Pro Bowl wide receiver, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, also is expected to skip the start of the voluntary conditioning program for some of the same reasons Johnson is not attending.

It sets up one of the stickiest situations in the NFL, an issue that threatens to hang over the team until and through training camp.

Cincinnati has two Pro Bowl wide receivers, each of whom believes he is underpaid, each of whom wants a new deal, each of whom is expected to be absent from Paul Brown Stadium for the start of Monday’s offseason drills.

Houshmandzadeh is in the final year of four-year contract that is scheduled to pay him a base salary of $2.525 million. He failed to show up to the Bengals' offseason conditioning program last season and, without a new deal before this year’s offseason conditioning program, Houshmandzadeh is not about to attend now. It is the reason he is not expected Monday or anytime shortly thereafter.

Cincinnati already has wrestled with the best way to handle the Johnson situation; it has made it known to any team that calls the team that the Bengals will not, under any circumstance, trade Johnson. They refuse to 86 "85." So now the Bengals are assured of having at least one unhappy wide receiver.

The interesting part is, will they have two? Unlike Johnson, Houshmandzadeh never has had his deal restructured in Cincinnati. Unlike Johnson, who has three years left on his contract, Houshmandzadeh has only one.

If Cincinnati spends on any Pro Bowl wide receiver, it would seem that Houshmandzadeh has next.

But Houshmandzadeh and Johnson appear to have made their decision in regard to next week and this offseason. It’s up to the Bengals to make theirs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: TJ to join Chad in the "no show" category

Awesome "team" we've got here.

I won't be losing any sleep over voluntary workouts.
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 03-20-2008 at 12:08 AM.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

deleted double post
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 03-20-2008 at 12:07 AM. Reason: double
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

"Thrilled" with the Bengals?? Really??

We have become the fanbase of low expectations.

Ssssuper!

The Reds are predicted to be around a .500 club, yet I'm much more optimistic about them than I am with the Bengals.

The Bengals are a mess. A big one. They have so many holes, question marks, bad attitudes, the worst owner, a terrible coach, etc. Where do I stop? Besides Carson, is there anything to look forward to?

The next month or so could make or break the next few years in my opinion. They have to draft the right players. No RB's, WR's, etc. They have plenty, yet I see them drafting one or both of those positions in the first 3 rounds. If they do, expect this team to go back to their years of ineptitude.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Didn't TJ skip voluntaries last year as well? Much ado about nothing, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    They refuse to 86 "85."
    I bet the author felt pretty proud of himself in coming up with that line.

You've got to love non-guaranteed contracts -- everybody feels scared and looks out only for themselves...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Voluntary works are garbage anyways, with the exception to rookies and other practice squad filler. I mean, Strahan missed out on everything, even most of preseason, and he only dominated like he usually does. CJ and TJ are both veterans who are Pro Bowl caliber players; they have the ability to turn the switch on when games actually matter.

I'm beginning to feel sorry for Carson Palmer--Yeah, he's rich but a career doomed for nothingness.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    You've got to love non-guaranteed contracts -- everybody feels scared and looks out only for themselves...
    If they only applied to Juan Castro and Mike Stanton.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    I'm beginning to feel sorry for Carson Palmer--Yeah, he's rich but a career doomed for nothingness.
    I don't feel sorry for him. The Bengals gave him a chance to compete, and he did his best. He was given two of the top recievers, and an above average running back. Even with that, the offense didn't score the points it was capable of. He underperformed this year, and that's one of the many reasons the Bengals aren't in the Super Bowl.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I don't feel sorry for him. The Bengals gave him a chance to compete, and he did his best. He was given two of the top recievers, and an above average running back. Even with that, the offense didn't score the points it was capable of. He underperformed this year, and that's one of the many reasons the Bengals aren't in the Super Bowl.
    I'm just talking about the self-absorbed morons he has to work with.

Turn Off Ads?