Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Who steps up?

  1. #16
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,298

    Re: Who steps up?

    I'd love to see one of the eastern Europeans take a big step - Cech or Ruzic.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,885

    Re: Who steps up?

    I'm on record of having placed higher value on Carlos Fisher and Adam Rosales than most of the experts (so much so that I don't even consider Rosales a sleeper). I also think that Ben Jukich has a shot to establish himself as a back-end starter prospect. Let me add a really, really deep sleeper to that list.

    Jake Long is a catcher who was drafted late in the 2006 draft. His ABs have been limted, but he went .333/.378/.405 for the GCL Reds in 90 PA in 2006. In 2007, he went .275/.385/.422 at Billings in 129 PA.

    I'm optimistic that Long will do well at Dayton in 2008. Of course, neither he nor Mesoraco will help until 2010 at the very earliest. Long will be 22 on April 17th and may need to move a little more quickly.
    Last edited by mth123; 03-22-2008 at 07:57 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    way-east of cincinnati
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: Who steps up?

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd love to see one of the eastern Europeans take a big step - Cech or Ruzic.
    What happened to Cech? His #'s were great out of the gate in the GCL, then seems he stopped playing. Was he injured?

  5. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: Who steps up?

    Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    What happened to Cech? His #'s were great out of the gate in the GCL, then seems he stopped playing. Was he injured?
    soccer players take the hot months off

    He's Mr. December, though

  6. #20
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,534

    Re: Who steps up?

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd love to see one of the eastern Europeans take a big step - Cech or Ruzic.

    Commie lover.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  7. #21
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,800

    Re: Who steps up?

    Carlos Fisher. He was dominant early in the year until his arm reportedly got tired. Moving to the pen should help him avoid those dead arm stretches, allow him to scrap his changeup, and probably add some velocity. I think he'll mow down minor league hitters this season and maybe even be knocking on the door in Cincy by the end of the year. He and Roenicke could eventually be a great back of the bullpen.

  8. #22
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,298

    Re: Who steps up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Commie lover.
    Da komrade. The is the Cincinnati Reds we're talking about.

    Plus, I really do think eastern Europe is a potential goldmine of talent. It would be nice to see the Reds get ahead of the curve.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  9. #23
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Who steps up?

    IIRC the Reds also signed an outfielder from Germany last year in addition to Petr Cech from Czech Republic and Mariekson Gregorius from the Netherlands. Yep, just found it. 19-year old outfielder Donald Lutz from Germany. He's listed at 6'4" and 210 pounds in the Reds media guide.

    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releas...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

    The Reds have also signed a couple pitchers and a catcher from Italy in the past few months.

  10. #24
    The Future GoReds33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,463

    Re: Who steps up?

    The following players I see stepping up their game this year:
    Michael McKennon-
    McKennon, who played for rookie league Billings last year, is already old by low minor league standards. He turns 23 on opening day, so he really needs to take charge this year. Last year he played second fiddle to Brandon Waring at Billings. He managed to hit .286/.331/.502. He needs to take off, and make it to AA before the year is over.

    Tzu-Kai Chiu-
    Chiu put up very good numbers at GCL Sarasota last year. He managed an ERA of 3.42, but that's decieving because he had a 2.81 ERA in his last ten apperances. Chiu could shoot through a couple levels this year.

    Sean Watson-
    Watson put up extremly good numbers at Dayton last year, but faltered when he went to Sarasota. If he can get adjusted to the leagues better this year, it wouldn't suprise me if he is starting in AAA by September. His 1.88 ERA at Dayton may have been a fluke, but he is known to adjust slowly, as last year he put up an 8.59 ERA after he was promoted to Dayton.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

  11. #25
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    6,490

    Re: Who steps up?

    Hmmm..here is what I'm hoping for.

    I think Todd Frazier is going to go all Adam Dunn/Jay Bruce this year and take a few levels by storm. And they still won't know where to play him.

    I could definitely see Waring and/or Soto opening some eyes as well.

    Mesoraco will also remind everyone this summer why he was a 1st round pick last year.

    And Jose Castro interests me as the extreme deep sleeper- he's a switch hitter who probably should just stick to the left side, but he's got the glove to be a major league SS. I haven't heard him mentioned anywhere but he really caught on the last few months with the Reds.

    And how sweet would it be to see Travis Wood not only stick at Chattanooga but crawl back up those prospect charts.

    I think Stubbs is still a mirage surrounded by mirrors and covered in smoke and a season at AA is going to reveal all. It's not injuries or choking up or any of the above mentioned excuses - he's just a poor excuse for a 1st round pick that the Reds wasted.

    My top 5 prospects in no particular order for 09 would be Bailey (who won't get enough MLB IP this year to lose his prospect status), Frazier, Soto, Mesoraco, & Lotzkar.

  12. #26
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Who steps up?

    It wouldn't surprise me if the Reds start Watson in the bullpen in Chattanooga in order to accelerate his ETA to the majors.

  13. #27
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,612

    Re: Who steps up?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    Hmmm..here is what I'm hoping for.

    I think Todd Frazier is going to go all Adam Dunn/Jay Bruce this year and take a few levels by storm. And they still won't know where to play him.

    I could definitely see Waring and/or Soto opening some eyes as well.

    Mesoraco will also remind everyone this summer why he was a 1st round pick last year.

    And Jose Castro interests me as the extreme deep sleeper- he's a switch hitter who probably should just stick to the left side, but he's got the glove to be a major league SS. I haven't heard him mentioned anywhere but he really caught on the last few months with the Reds.

    And how sweet would it be to see Travis Wood not only stick at Chattanooga but crawl back up those prospect charts.

    I think Stubbs is still a mirage surrounded by mirrors and covered in smoke and a season at AA is going to reveal all. It's not injuries or choking up or any of the above mentioned excuses - he's just a poor excuse for a 1st round pick that the Reds wasted.

    My top 5 prospects in no particular order for 09 would be Bailey (who won't get enough MLB IP this year to lose his prospect status), Frazier, Soto, Mesoraco, & Lotzkar.
    You don't think Bailey will get 4.2 MLB innings this year? Thats all he needs to no longer be eligible.

    As for Stubbs.... well, I think he is going to make some people really turn heads this year and in a good way. I am with you on Soto..... if he can play anywhere. There are a lot of SS/3B between Dayton and Sarasota that are fighting for time with Waring, Frazier, Francisco and Cozart who will likely tandem somehow to make the left side of infields in the two A-ball levels.

  14. #28
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    6,490

    Re: Who steps up?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You don't think Bailey will get 4.2 MLB innings this year? Thats all he needs to no longer be eligible.

    As for Stubbs.... well, I think he is going to make some people really turn heads this year and in a good way. I am with you on Soto..... if he can play anywhere. There are a lot of SS/3B between Dayton and Sarasota that are fighting for time with Waring, Frazier, Francisco and Cozart who will likely tandem somehow to make the left side of infields in the two A-ball levels.
    I wouldn't have guessed it was that few for Bailey but I didn't really look it up.

    I want to like Cozart but he reminds me too much Janish - great glove without any stick. Janish still could make something of himself because of his excellent batting eye. That also represents the slim chance that Stubbs has - that he'll bat .240 with a .340OBP with an excellent glove and be tolerable. However with Dusty batting .240 as the CF won't cut it no matter what your OBP is.

  15. #29
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,525

    Re: Who steps up?

    I think we could see Daryl Thompson continue his recovery and get on the prospect screen this season. He had a good year last year and should also get a confidence and recognition bump from his success this spring in a tiny tiny sample.

  16. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10

    Re: Who steps up?

    I feel Adam Rosales is the player to watch.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25