Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Has South Park Jumped the Shark?

Re: Has South Park Jumped the Shark?

As I recall from an interview, Stone and Parker like Family Guy. What they don't like is being compared to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

South Park jumped the shark a long time ago for me. The early years were great, but the last few seasons they just started attacking anything and everything, not for any real reason, just because they could. That gets old fast. After a while you just have to roll your eyes at the internet smarkyness of it all, to use a wrestling fan term.

If I had to pinpoint the start of the decline, it would probably be the episode where Chef died.
    Last edited by guttle11; 03-20-2008 at 10:26 PM.

I can't believe you guys didn't like the first episode of the season. Last night's was kinda ho-hum, but that's ok they can have one every now and then. I certainly don't think that this show has jumped the shark.

Are you guys sure you didn't like the first episode? I'm not just sure, I'm HIV positive that I liked that episode.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I can't believe you guys didn't like the first episode of the season. Last night's was kinda ho-hum, but that's ok they can have one every now and then. I certainly don't think that this show has jumped the shark.

Are you guys sure you didn't like the first episode? I'm not just sure, I'm HIV positive that I liked that episode.
    I liked the season premiere just fine.

Yeah I thought the first one was funny. I couldn't stop laughing when they were getting ready to announce that Cartman had HIV. The ultimate karmic payback.

I think they were also spoofing "The Wicker Man" last night.

(The original Wicker Man was great. The remake sucked.)

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I think they were also spoofing "The Wicker Man" last night.

(The original Wicker Man was great. The remake sucked.)
    I've only seen the remake, and it did suck and I didn't finish watching it.

Oh wow, Razor, you really owe it to yourself to hunt down a copy of the original.

AWESOME, AWESOME movie.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Oh wow, Razor, you really owe it to yourself to hunt down a copy of the original.

AWESOME, AWESOME movie.
    Well since you threw two awesomes in there I'll see if I can find one tomorrow night and make the wife watch it with me. And in her current state (pregnant) that's about all we do on weekends any more, and we've kinda been running low on good movies to watch. So thanks for the tip.

I never have gotten to the point where I watch any show every week. This is the only show where I tried though. Love the whole approach that Matt and Trey take to everything they do.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

The season premiere was just too predictable. Cartman gets AIDS, Kyle makes fun of him, Cartman dresses up like Tom Hanks in Philadelphia, injects Kyle with his blood. Fight ensues, they team up to find a cure, and Kyle is still mad. Nothing new.

The Britney episode had the chance to be great, and while a lot of the plot made sense except for the Wicker Man, it really didn't live up.

BTW, I think the Imaginationland series was officially the plateau. If another South Park tops that from now on, I will be surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    As I recall from an interview, Stone and Parker like Family Guy. What they don't like is being compared to it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Family_Guy

When South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone were questioned about the meanest thing ever said to them, Stone replied "When people say to me, 'God, you guys have one of the best shows on television. You and Family Guy.' That ****ing hurts so bad", to which Parker agreed: "Very well said. It's such a kick in the balls."
    In the DVD commentary, Parker and Stone state for the record their opinions on Family Guy. They say that although they respect the show for its fans and making people laugh, and having some smart humor, they ultimately hate the show itself and have absolutely no respect for it writing-wise, namely for its overuse on "gag-humor." They compare the show's reputation among other animated shows to the way serious musicians feel about Justin Timberlake.

Ah, ok. My recollection was off.

As an aside, I find their Justin Timberlake comparison to be a bit strange. I'm a musician and I know several others who are much more serious about it than I and none of us lack respect for him. I (and many of those I know) don't enjoy his music, but that doesn't detract from his skill.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Ah, ok. My recollection was off.

As an aside, I find their Justin Timberlake comparison to be a bit strange. I'm a musician and I know several others who are much more serious about it than I and none of us lack respect for him. I (and many of those I know) don't enjoy his music, but that doesn't detract from his skill.
    Perhaps Trey Parker and Matt Stone aren't musicians and just chose the most "pop" guy they could think of?

Turn Off Ads?